What is the biggest and most difficult model ship to build?

The most difficult model doesn't necessarily have to be the biggest. The big in the scale or size? Honestly, I don't know how to answer. Every one of us has different skills\experience, what might be for one a very simple model, for another is difficult to build. As for the scale, generally, a bigger scale is easier to build, IMHO

For every model built , someone , somewhere builds one better than others. If you as a builder are satisfied with your work, have enjoyed the challenge
of building the model , then be content , you have experienced the purpose of the model s being.

This is a hard question to answer because “big” and “difficult” may not necessarily complement each other. In the average ship kit world bigger models, defined as larger scales, are often easier to build. To take a stab at your question from the average kit world perspective, kits in the 1/48, or quarter scale, range that are highly detailed may begin to fit your interest. These kits usually stand out because of the cost range…that is, north of $1500 dollars. A difficulty factor is added by kits using plank on frame full rib construction rather than plank on bulkhead. Then again, I have seen kits in the 1/300 scale range making them very small but with a very high difficulty factor. So if you are looking for big and difficult look for kits that cost over $1000. For example, the ZHL kit of the USS Bonhomme Richard is scale 1/48 and 58” long, 20” wide, 44” tall, and costs $1500.

So,
I agree with what all has been said here, especially of what Jim Daniels said in the last post. However, please allow me to take your question literally and at face value. The biggest and most difficult (yes) depends on the person's ability but laying that to the side, lets first put this into two categories:
Plank on Frame and Plank on Bulkhead. Then lastly you have a pure scratch build where you can purchase a monograph from a company like ANCRE
www.ancre.fr In this type of construction, all you are given is a book, and depending on the difficulty of the model, you could have upwards of 25 sheets of plans
and you have to choose your own wood and would need all the power tools necessary to mill your own stock.

In my humble opinion, I would put these ships as the most difficult and the biggest and this is just an EXAMPLE and given the amount of time, you are looking at 2 to 5 year build time. (all of these would be of the largest scale and would range in price from $800 to $1400)
As far as who has built these here on this site, just type these into the SEARCH button at the top right corner of the site and this should give you some samples.
Also, if you go to my showcase gallery, you will see over 400 ships online and you can browse through all of those.
That link is here https://shipsofscale.com/sosforums/pages/CONTRIBUTORS-GALLERY-01/

HMS Pegasus by Victory Models
Santisima Trinidad by OcCre
HMS Victory by JoTika models (Caldercraft models)
USS constitution by Model Shipways
Sovereign of the Seas

Plank on Frame
This can be thought of as an "Admiralty" Style model and again my opinion is an exceptionally difficult model to build as you are constructing EACH frame or RIB just like a real ship, along with all the framing parts and flooring.
I am building the HMS Druid from Unicorn Models and I got this model 6 months ago and I have just now completed JUST the RIBS of the ship only !!!!

Насколько я понимаю, вы новичок в судомоделизме. Какой смысл строить самую сложную модель, если ты даже не понимаешь, нравится тебе это или нет. У каждого свой путь в судомоделировании, и каждый идет этим путем сам. Я много раз видел, как неопытные моделисты начинали свой путь с самых больших и сложных моделей, который затем кончался в лучшем случае на дальней полке, а в худшем - в мусорном ведре. Начни с небольшой и простой модели, наберись опыта, пойми, нравится тебе это или нет. И только когда доставит удовольствие, приступайте к постройке своего «шедевра» судомоделизма. ИМХО это только мое мнение, никому его не навязываю.

Let me add one more thought on the question of difficulty. There are two sides to this. First, it is defined in the perception and experience of the modeler. A beginner modeler may find an otherwise simple ship kit “difficult” since they have no skills or experience yet. So, experience, skill, patience for details, even the right tools each define the concept of difficult. The other side is the decorative demands of the kit given the historical era can define difficult due to the level of fine detail. The greater the decorative details required can define the difficulty level. An example would be the difference in the level of difficulty between the ornate decorative details of the 1577 HMS Revenge race built galleon and the rather plain HMS Surprise of 1796.

Bluejacket offers a fully rigged frigate model in 1/8” scale. That rigging would be a nightmare to do (my opinion). Some would love it....

Зачем останавливаться на достигнутом? Сделайте это в масштабе 1: 1. : D
И действительно. Фрегат «Штандарт» построен в Санкт-Петербурге. Теперь бороздит просторы Мирового океана.

Let me add one more thought on the question of difficulty. There are two sides to this. First, it is defined in the perception and experience of the modeler. A beginner modeler may find an otherwise simple ship kit “difficult” since they have no skills or experience yet. So, experience, skill, patience for details, even the right tools each define the concept of difficult. The other side is the decorative demands of the kit given the historical era can define difficult due to the level of fine detail. The greater the decorative details required can define the difficulty level. An example would be the difference in the level of difficulty between the ornate decorative details of the 1577 HMS Revenge race built galleon and the rather plain HMS Surprise of 1796.
I totally agree--the question is subjective and the answer depends on your experience, tools, quality of the kit and instructions, etc. Plus don't forget getting older makes some things more difficult!

In my humble opinion
1st bought kit ship
Then
Advanced kit ship
Then
1st scratch built ship.
finally making a proper scale model ship from scratch.
I made then, tried card ships.
Finally I am trying to make the
Kraz 225b truck from card and sheet metal - I nearly lost the plot / give up on model building!
Lost mail and hair / sleep / no interest in woman or .....!
Hard work and patients with too much research with an over active mind to make things perfect.

To all those who find the basic plastic kit or wooden kit a challenge : you will always remember it.
Especially the mistakes and cut fingers to OMG the paint :((( did I forget that part?

Wiser man than me said
In the beholder to the maker
1st cut to last cut.
Is the hardest.

I agree with everyone’s comments

but
Try
Hms victory or similar?
or a Loyld McCarthy or Philip Reed or similar builders models to there bench gold standard.
Sorry if I missed any builders name or ship class, no disrespect meant and there are others past and present honoured builders like Harold Underhill etc... and of course those blessed model engineer fanatics! Turning brass / copper / iron into working models!

To all those who find the basic plastic kit or wooden kit a challenge : you will always remember it.
Especially the mistakes and cut fingers to OMG the paint :((( did I forget that part?

Wiser man than me said
1st cut to last cut.
Is the hardest.
If you don't smear blood on your model at least once, it is not properly christened.

In my humble opinion
1st bought kit ship
Then
Advanced kit ship
Then
1st scratch built ship.
finally making a proper scale model ship from scratch.
I made then, tried card ships.
Finally I am trying to make the
Kraz 225b truck from card and sheet metal - I nearly lost the plot / give up on model building!
Lost mail and hair / sleep / no interest in woman or .....!
Hard work and patients with too much research with an over active mind to make things perfect.

Wiser man than me said
1st cut to last cut.
Is the hardest.

I agree with everyone’s comments

but
Try
Hms victory or similar?
or a Loyld McCarthy or Philip Reed or similar builders models to there bench gold standard.
Sorry if I missed any builders name or ship class, no disrespect meant and there are others past and present honoured builders like Harold Underhill etc... and of course those blessed model engineer fanatics! Turning brass / copper / iron into working models!
I agree with your list! I could even say the hardest is whatever I'm working on currently because I'm always finding ways to make things more complicated--either accidentally or on purpose!

With all the respect to your comments, folks, I don't think the question was about our opinion for the first or future model build as the recommendation. :cool:

Back