Willem Barentsz by Kolderstok AD 1596

A milestone.

View attachment 420598

The hull is finish sanded and ready for the first coat of Danish oil. All the pin rails are done, the windlass is done, the knightheads are done, the rudder is shaped and the 28 triangle deadeyes are done. I'm really excited to get the first coat of oil done. Unfortunately the 3 foot high Tsunami event caused several weeks of extra work, the repairs came out well. I'm looking forward to adding all the little bits and pieces to finish the hull build.

Jan
Looking good!

Well Jan, it looks as though you'll have more building time (Assuming your power stays on). Another storm heading your way.
Stay Safe
Yup, we're in a every three to four day storm cycle. Building times are not in jeopardy, we have 10kw generator next to the garage, local power outages aren't much of a worry.

Jan

Hmm, the "Novice" builder has made another minor error.

The good news is -- it's snowing again and I have time to be in the shipyard. The "BAD" is in the photo below.

IMG_4167.jpeg

I got the orientation of the bottom versus the ring of the "top" wrong (green arrow). The "deadeye" holes should be parallel with the hull (red circles)

Easy enough to fix, but I also made the same mistake on the Main mast top. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Another entry into the "don't do it this way" notebook. :rolleyes:

Yup, learning as I go.

Jan

The good news is -- it's snowing again and I have time to be in the shipyard. The "BAD" is in the photo below.

View attachment 423435

I got the orientation of the bottom versus the ring of the "top" wrong (green arrow). The "deadeye" holes should be parallel with the hull (red circles)

Easy enough to fix, but I also made the same mistake on the Main mast top. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Yup, learning as I go.

Jan
Good afternoon Jan. The top looks really good and as you say should be an easy fix. For a moment I thought the Dutch made shrouds fore to aft….. ROTF . Cheers Grant

Good afternoon Jan. The top looks really good and as you say should be an easy fix. For a moment I thought the Dutch made shrouds fore to aft….. ROTF . Cheers Grant
Ha, I never thought about the fore and aft shrouds, I think my build is correct given the Google translation of the original 1600's shipwrights instructions ROTF
Actually, not learning as you go ROTF ROTF ROTF.
Yup you are spot on. As the Penn Dutch say,"To soon we get old and to late we get smart". I think I'm on the "get old and get dumb" part of that cycle.:rolleyes:

Last edited:

View attachment 423435

Yup, learning as I go.

Jan
Remarkable how we focus on the erroneous details. Nevertheless, re-do's are part of the game.

:rolleyes: Winter is on repeat. Snow squalls today after freezing rain yesterday and a forecast snow storm for tomorrow through Monday. So a great time to be in the shipyard.

Todays project was applying the first coat of Danish oil to the hull.

I'm fascinated how the wood tones have come out. I like the combo of Walnut and Mahogany on the rebuild canopy.

This side is still "wet"

IMG_4170.jpeg

The port side is almost dry

IMG_4171.jpeg

The first coat looks a lot better than the poor light photo shows. Maybe if the Sun ever appears again I can get a good outside photo.

The Foremast assembly is complete, I think I've got all the parts lined up in the right direction :rolleyes:

IMG_4172.jpeg

The Main mast is in progress.

Jan

:rolleyes: Winter is on repeat. Snow squalls today after freezing rain yesterday and a forecast snow storm for tomorrow through Monday. So a great time to be in the shipyard.

Todays project was applying the first coat of Danish oil to the hull.

I'm fascinated how the wood tones have come out. I like the combo of Walnut and Mahogany on the rebuild canopy.

This side is still "wet"

View attachment 424124

The port side is almost dry

View attachment 424126

The first coat looks a lot better than the poor light photo shows. Maybe if the Sun ever appears again I can get a good outside photo.

The Foremast assembly is complete, I think I've got all the parts lined up in the right direction :rolleyes:

View attachment 424128

The Main mast is in progress.

Jan
That’s looking very nice, Jan. With some oil it’s almost like a metamorphose!
Regards, Peter

And of course, my first port of call upon my return has to be the WB. Wow Jan. This little ship has endured all kinds of trials and tribulations while I have been gone. Her current state is only thanks to the tenacious shipwright in charge. And talking about her current state - she is looking gorgeous Jan. You can be well pleased and very proud of what you have achieved up to this point. It really is a wonderful kit that builds into a beautiful, little ship!

And of course, my first port of call upon my return has to be the WB. Wow Jan. This little ship has endured all kinds of trials and tribulations while I have been gone. Her current state is only thanks to the tenacious shipwright in charge. And talking about her current state - she is looking gorgeous Jan. You can be well pleased and very proud of what you have achieved up to this point. It really is a wonderful kit that builds into a beautiful, little ship!
Thank you for those kind words. My WB has survived a great “Tsunami“ , temporary abandonment, my big clumsy fingers and a host of “Re-Dos”. I’m excited to be at this point and look forward to stepping the masts.

She is looking great Jan, it has become a beautiful little ship Thumbsup Thumbsup
I absolutely agree, it is a great looking hull. As I‘ve noted before I have to keep a close watch on that little ship. I’m going to have to put numbers in a hat to see who’s mantel it will sit on when completed.

Jan

Back