Willem Barentsz by Kolderstok AD 1596

OPINON NEEDED: Danish Oil application

@Heinrich, @Kolderstok.

This is the result of applying the second application of Danish oil. I waited 24 hours plus before lightly sanding the first application and applying this coat. I've never worked with Danish oil and I'm wondering how many coats to apply. Three, four or more?

I've stained the masts with MinWax light Oak stain do I apply Danish oil to those also?

IMG_4175.jpeg

Jan

OPINON NEEDED: Danish Oil application

@Heinrich, @Kolderstok.

This is the result of applying the second application of Danish oil. I waited 24 hours plus before lightly sanding the first application and applying this coat. I've never worked with Danish oil and I'm wondering how many coats to apply. Three, four or more?

I've stained the masts with MinWax light Oak stain do I apply Danish oil to those also?

View attachment 424509

Jan
Hi Jan. Unfortunately, I have no experience of working with Danish oil. On the sampan, I used about 5 coats of Tung oil, BUT the first three coats were heavily diluted with mineral turpentine. On WB2, I used two coats of the Clou stain, but seeing that the Clou was water-based it does not offer a direct comparison to Danish oil. Have a look at @pietsan Piet's build log - he used Danish oil. In the sampan's case, I stained the mast with shellac and in case of WB2, I followed through on the masts with two coats of Clou as well. WB1, is still naked to the bone - and frankly, out of all 3, is my preferred look.

Hi Jan. Unfortunately, I have no experience of working with Danish oil. On the sampan, I used about 5 coats of Tung oil, BUT the first three coats were heavily diluted with mineral turpentine. On WB2, I used two coats of the Clou stain, but seeing that the Clou was water-based it does not offer a direct comparison to Danish oil. Have a look at @pietsan Piet's build log - he used Danish oil. In the sampan's case, I stained the mast with shellac and in case of WB2, I followed through on the masts with two coats of Clou as well. WB1, is still naked to the bone - and frankly, out of all 3, is my preferred look.
High Henrich.

Thank you for the reply. My knowledge of paints and their use is just slightly below zero. I will definitely work my way through Piet’s build log. Thank you for that bit of information.
Geez, it’s great to have you back, I missed your input.

Jan

Great log on using various oil finishes

Wow, somehow I missed this log. An in depth discussion of various finish methods.

Jan
It is indeed a very informative discussion, Jan. I have always been a big fan of Tung (as you know) but it certainly has its disadvantages too (as pointed out in the report). Ever since I have used Clou on the WB2, I won't use anything else. Just check out @Uwe's Granado log to see the little patch to which he applied Clou. It makes the wood come alive without any (so far) disadvantages that I can see.

Ever since I have used Clou on the WB2, I won't use anything else.
I will try to find Clou locally and try it on some plank pieces for the Duyfken. That little ship is next on my agenda as soon as I start rigging the WB. Like I've posted a few times, I know absolutely nothing about paint or painting. A big learning curve for me the novice.

Jan

Hi Gentlemen. You are only partially correct.

Remember I used the water-based powder stain which should be available in the USA. It is only the sanding sealer which is not available in the USA. @Jimsky Jim will confirm this according to our discussions a long time ago.

Pulverbeize_164_eiche-mittel_D.jpg

Check out:

Clou USA – out of love for wood

Hi Gentlemen. You are only partially correct.

Remember I used the water-based powder stain which should be available in the USA. It is only the sanding sealer which is not available in the USA. @Jimsky Jim will confirm this according to our discussions a long time ago.

View attachment 424821

Check out:

Clou USA – out of love for wood
Yes, this was the case. The USA site is no longer available. But the CLOU sealer was not available anyway...

Yes, this was the case. The USA site is no longer available. But the CLOU sealer was not available anyway...
Jim.

Thank you for the info. I was going to chase that down later today.

Current experiment is trying out this stuff versus CA.

IMG_4176.jpeg

IMG_4177.jpeg
One plus--Instuctions note it doesn't bond to fingers. Very tiny applicator needle.

Jan

Jim.

Thank you for the info. I was going to chase that down later today.

Current experiment is trying out this stuff versus CA.

View attachment 424826

View attachment 424827
One plus--Instuctions note it doesn't bond to fingers. Very tiny applicator needle.

Jan
Jan, I have not had success using this glue. It does smell and doesn't bond well. Also, it smells acetone. It is a variation of a contact cement. It does glue and sticks to the plastic.

Jan, I have not had success using this glue. It does smell and doesn't bond well. Also, it smells acetone. It is a variation of a contact cement. It does glue and sticks to the plastic.
I don't think it's what I was looking for (CA and I don't get along) to replace "super glue". First problem I've found was the tiny application needle hole and the sealing needle in the cap. Big fingers and poor near vision made it impossible for me to get cap needle back into the glue tube. Had to get the Admiral to do it for me.

I tried to apply a dab of it on two 5mm blocks to hold the strop in place. Didn't happen, I got a big glob instead. I think my big fingers, gravity and whatever precluded placing a small drop at the point of the knot I was trying to secure. The glue kept flowing even while I was trying to get the #$%$#@%%$$#@ cap back on the tube.

A wee bit frustrating!!!!:mad::mad:

Jan

I don't think it's what I was looking for (CA and I don't get along) to replace "super glue". First problem I've found was the tiny application needle hole and the sealing needle in the cap. Big fingers and poor near vision made it impossible for me to get cap needle back into the glue tube. Had to get the Admiral to do it for me.

I tried to apply a dab of it on two 5mm blocks to hold the strop in place. Didn't happen, I got a big glob instead. I think my big fingers, gravity and whatever precluded placing a small drop at the point of the knot I was trying to secure. The glue kept flowing even while I was trying to get the #$%$#@%%$$#@ cap back on the tube.

Jan
Oh dear. :oops:

Indeed. I noticed most of the sites that popped up during my Google search are in Europe. :rolleyes:

Jan
Yes unfortunately it is not exported outside Europe - maybe because flamability or something else
But try to find an onlineshop, which is posting outside Europe ...... or will find another way .....

Jan
I know there are builders on here who love this stuff. But I’ll send you my ‘opened and used once’ tube along with $10 for your trouble just to get it out of my workshop ROTF. Stringy / globby / uncontrollable mess. I don’t use contact cement for all the same reasons. If you’re not allergic to CA you may want to give that another shot. The medium bodied stuff does have a few seconds of working time and when applied with a toothpick can be placed right where you want it with some measure of control. I need to use a special version because of an allergy that is silly expensive and I cheerfully pay the cost because CA is indispensable in my building approach. There are also quick grabbing PVA type glues but now you need to hold things for a few minutes (also indispensable in my workshop).

I know there are builders on here who love this stuff. But I’ll send you my ‘opened and used once’ tube along with $10 for your trouble just to get it out of my workshop ROTF. Stringy / globby / uncontrollable mess. I don’t use contact cement for all the same reasons. If you’re not allergic to CA you may want to give that another shot. The medium bodied stuff does have a few seconds of working time and when applied with a toothpick can be placed right where you want it with some measure of control. I need to use a special version because of an allergy that is silly expensive and I cheerfully pay the cost because CA is indispensable in my building approach. There are also quick grabbing PVA type glues but now you need to hold things for a few minutes (also indispensable in my workshop).

That‘s a great offer Paul but I have to decline. My “opened and used once” tube left the premises this morning via the local trash pickup. I found that CA caused a multitude of allergic reactions and I stopped using it quite a while ago.

Jan

Last edited:
Todays progress report:

1) Added the 28 (14 to a side) deadeyes. Lot's of bad words required to place the fastening nails that hold the deadeyes in place :mad::mad:

2) Added the bowsprit and uttered more bad words while trying to get the gammoning right. :mad::mad:

IMG_4179.jpeg

Another build step completed.

Jan

Last edited:
Todays progress report:

1) Added the 28 (14 to a side) deadeyes. Lot's of bad words required to place the fastening nails that hold the deadeyes in place :mad::mad:

2) Added the bowsprit and uttered more bad words while trying to get the gammoning right. :mad::mad:

View attachment 425168

Another build step completed.

Jan
My stock of bad words needs constant attention in order to avoid being short of this useful toolset. I need them in every stage of any build and they are used to highlight and rectify any issue I might encounter.
Can't say much about the deadeyes and the bowsprit installation, but they appear to be just fine.
Steady as she goes, Jan.

Back