YQ Bluenose by Johan [COMPLETED BUILD]

The last few days saw me stepping away from setting sails; I ran out of rope, again.
So instead I focused on the installation of the nav lights. I ordered a port- and starboard lights from Hismodels and attached two scratchbuild simple brackets to the fwd two shrouds. All relatively simple parts, but accessibility is becoming increasingly limited, with every added sheet, halliard and clewline.

Starboard nav light installation:
IMG_0797.jpeg

Port nav light installation:
IMG_0798.jpeg

Well, I have to admit, I haven't been too truthful about the progress being made on my BN.
Despite all my ramblings about not much getting done, I díd set some sails, five in all: both main- and fore sails, both topsails and the jumbo.
Since I did it before, I thought this would be a walk in the park, but it took a lot of time and effort to get were I am today.
I will not bother you with all the nitty-gritty details, for those interested, see @Peter Voogt 's marvelous blog. Everything you need to know is there.
IMG_0800.jpeg
IMG_0805.jpegIMG_0804.jpeg
IMG_0802.jpeg
IMG_0801.jpeg
IMG_0806.jpeg

Well, I have to admit, I haven't been too truthful about the progress being made on my BN.
Despite all my ramblings about not much getting done, I díd set some sails, five in all: both main- and fore sails, both topsails and the jumbo.
Since I did it before, I thought this would be a walk in the park, but it took a lot of time and effort to get were I am today.
I will not bother you with all the nitty-gritty details, for those interested, see @Peter Voogt 's marvelous blog. Everything you need to know is there.
View attachment 396583
View attachment 396584View attachment 396585
View attachment 396587
View attachment 396588
View attachment 396586
Oh, and by the way, the nav lights are operational. I just ran a functional test.

View attachment 396589View attachment 396590
I fully agree with Paul: a BIG WOW. The sails are looking great, Johan. And those lights :)
Regards, Peter

Last edited:
Splendido lavoro, eccellente.
Che materiale (che tipo di tessuto) hai usato per le vele?

Gorgeous work, excellent.
What material (what type of fabric) did you use for the sails?

Splendido lavoro, eccellente.
Che materiale (che tipo di tessuto) hai usato per le vele?

Gorgeous work, excellent.
What material (what type of fabric) did you use for the sails?
Gracie!
I used fabric from Amati: 70x100cm, ATI5619/03
Before using it, I treated the fabric with a mix of water and non-water resistant woodglue (50/50) plus a stain to get the right color.

I believe a WOW is in order here! Brilliant Johan!
I fully agree with Paul: a BIG WOW. The sails are looking great, Johan. And those lights :)
Regards, Peter
Thank you both for your kind words!
So far it has been an awesome journey and now I am starting to realize I might even complete this Bluenose model...

View attachment 396583
View attachment 396584View attachment 396585
View attachment 396587
View attachment 396588
View attachment 396586
Good morning Johan….and another WOW. Cheers Grant

Back