YQ Bluenose by Johan [COMPLETED BUILD]

I think what you achieved is a definite improvement over the kit as provided! The choice of sails on an otherwise unfinished presentation of a POF ship is always going to be subjective and personal. I think it looks beautiful. I also think any presentation can be made to look good, no sails, partial sails and full sails.
It is really about what you would like to see as the builder. Sometimes full sails can clutter a model, and that’s mainly why people choose no sails or partial sails. But I have to agree your BN looks great with full sails. And I commend you for the extra work you put into making that happen! ;)
Thanks so much Dean, appreciated!
I must admit I certainly had my doubts when I decided to go for a fully rigged version of the BN. But the further I got, the more I became convinced of having made the right decision. At the same time, I can't and I won't fault anybody who decided on something else, like furled sails, or no sails.
Admittedly, when I looked at this afternoon's pictures I was positively surprised by how well it all turned out. And let's not forget, the Bluenose group build present the unsespecting builder with countless possibilitiesof how to personalize one's build. At least it drove me way beyond my comfort zone.

Today I completed the rigging of the sails; the still missing sheets and tacks were added. There were only four sheets/tacks still to be added and tensioned, but it took the entire Wednesday afternoon to get it done.
I also took some pictures, with a clean background, to have the emphasis on the model and not on the background clutter.

View attachment 398384

View attachment 398385
And for reference the way how Yang Quin perceived their kit:
(YQ's picture, not mine.)
View attachment 398386
I think I have reason to be very content with the results of my labor sofar, with a huge thanks to all of those who freely gave hardware (lights, 3D printed goodies, rope, blocks, drawings...), comments and support.

Still a small myriad of things to do, but the finish line is not too far off anymore.
One could say a lot about the YQ-kit, both good and bad, but in all, it's a nice kit to build, with lots of possibilities to personalize one's model.
Ciao Johan.

Io non riesco a vedere gli scafi con le ordinate in vista, mi verrebbe subito da coprirle, ahahahahahah. E' un impulso irresistibile.

Logicamente capisco che è un tipo di modellismo diverso. A proposito voi come lo chiamate? Arsenale, ammiragliato o con un altro nome? scusa la mia ignoranza.
Comunque vi ammiro e so che non riuscirò a fare lavori così accurati.

Anche se ti manca ancora qualcosa per finirlo, secondo me è venuto benissimo, è un grandissimo lavoro.

Confrontando la foto del modello di Yang Quin con il tuo, devo dire che non c'è paragone. Il tuo è molto più bello. (senza offesa per Yang Quin, anche il suo è bello).

Quando sarà completo, oltre alla foto di tutto il modello, spero che tu inserisca anche foto di dettagli, che saranno molto utili a me e ad altri.

Hi Johan.

I can't see the hulls with the frames visible, I would immediately want to cover them, ahahahahahah. It's an irresistible impulse.

Logically I understand that it is a different type of modeling.
By the way, what do you call it? Arsenal, admiralty or another name? Excuse my ignorance.

However, I admire you and I know that I won't be able to do such accurate work.

Even if you still need something to finish it, in my opinion it turned out very well, it's a great job.
Comparing the photo of Yang Quin's model with yours, I have to say that there is no comparison. Yours is much nicer. (no offense to Yang Quin, his is nice too).

When it is complete, in addition to the photo of the whole model, I hope you will also include photos of details, which will be very useful to me and others.

Ciao Johan.

Io non riesco a vedere gli scafi con le ordinate in vista, mi verrebbe subito da coprirle, ahahahahahah. E' un impulso irresistibile.

Logicamente capisco che è un tipo di modellismo diverso. A proposito voi come lo chiamate? Arsenale, ammiragliato o con un altro nome? scusa la mia ignoranza.
Comunque vi ammiro e so che non riuscirò a fare lavori così accurati.

Anche se ti manca ancora qualcosa per finirlo, secondo me è venuto benissimo, è un grandissimo lavoro.

Confrontando la foto del modello di Yang Quin con il tuo, devo dire che non c'è paragone. Il tuo è molto più bello. (senza offesa per Yang Quin, anche il suo è bello).

Quando sarà completo, oltre alla foto di tutto il modello, spero che tu inserisca anche foto di dettagli, che saranno molto utili a me e ad altri.

Hi Johan.

I can't see the hulls with the frames visible, I would immediately want to cover them, ahahahahahah. It's an irresistible impulse.

Logically I understand that it is a different type of modeling.
By the way, what do you call it? Arsenal, admiralty or another name? Excuse my ignorance.

However, I admire you and I know that I won't be able to do such accurate work.

Even if you still need something to finish it, in my opinion it turned out very well, it's a great job.
Comparing the photo of Yang Quin's model with yours, I have to say that there is no comparison. Yours is much nicer. (no offense to Yang Quin, his is nice too).

When it is complete, in addition to the photo of the whole model, I hope you will also include photos of details, which will be very useful to me and others.
Hello Alessandro,

Thanks so much for your kind words, they are appreciated.

While I enjoy the beautiful lines of a fully planked hull, I find myself inexplicably attracted to the partly open (not planked) hull, exposing the frames and some other parts of it's construction.
To me my model is of the "Plank-on-Frame" type of construction. As far as I understand, the Admiralty class models are very high quality models, meeting the exacting requirements of museums. I wouldn't dare suggesting my model would meet those standards.

I hope the most risky and complex part of this build is past me, although I still foresee some challenges...
Having said that, I am pleasantly surprised on how she turned out. It was the first kit I build in about some odd 35-40 years (apart from restoring the Billing Boats Bluenose and tidying up the Scottish Maid) and it is the first time ever I stepped away from the building instructions and doing a bit of scratchbuilding.

Once the model is finished I plan on making some pictures, details included, but that might still be a few weeks away.

Kind regards,

Johan

Hello Alessandro,

Thanks so much for your kind words, they are appreciated.

While I enjoy the beautiful lines of a fully planked hull, I find myself inexplicably attracted to the partly open (not planked) hull, exposing the frames and some other parts of it's construction.
To me my model is of the "Plank-on-Frame" type of construction. As far as I understand, the Admiralty class models are very high quality models, meeting the exacting requirements of museums. I wouldn't dare suggesting my model would meet those standards.

I hope the most risky and complex part of this build is past me, although I still foresee some challenges...
Having said that, I am pleasantly surprised on how she turned out. It was the first kit I build in about some odd 35-40 years (apart from restoring the Billing Boats Bluenose and tidying up the Scottish Maid) and it is the first time ever I stepped away from the building instructions and doing a bit of scratchbuilding.

Once the model is finished I plan on making some pictures, details included, but that might still be a few weeks away.

Kind regards,

Johan
Ciao Johan, procedi con calma, aspetteremo le foto con pazienza, non c'è fretta.

Hi Johan, proceed slowly, we will wait for the photos patiently, there is no rush.

Today I completed the rigging of the sails; the still missing sheets and tacks were added. There were only four sheets/tacks still to be added and tensioned, but it took the entire Wednesday afternoon to get it done.
I also took some pictures, with a clean background, to have the emphasis on the model and not on the background clutter.

View attachment 398384

View attachment 398385
And for reference the way how Yang Quin perceived their kit:
(YQ's picture, not mine.)
View attachment 398386
I think I have reason to be very content with the results of my labor sofar, with a huge thanks to all of those who freely gave hardware (lights, 3D printed goodies, rope, blocks, drawings...), comments and support.

Still a small myriad of things to do, but the finish line is not too far off anymore.
One could say a lot about the YQ-kit, both good and bad, but in all, it's a nice kit to build, with lots of possibilities to personalize one's model.
Good afternoon Johan.
I think I have reason to be very content with the results of my labor sofar,
This is a huge understatement my friend. Wow - from a no sails person, she looks tremendous with the full sail rig. Mooi ! ( I think the Afrikaans and Dutch are similar) Cheers Grant

Hi Johan, proceed slowly, we will wait for the photos patiently, there is no rush.
Good afternoon Johan.

This is a huge understatement my friend. Wow - from a no sails person, she looks tremendous with the full sail rig. Mooi ! ( I think the Afrikaans and Dutch are similar) Cheers Grant
Simply magnificent, well done Johan!
Alessandro, Grant, Mark,
Thanks so much. I'm glad my Bluenose turned out the way she did. Now, with the last sail set, she became what I envisioned, when I set off on this journey; an impressive looking sailing vessel from an era long lost. Also going through the pains of trying to scale everything appropriately (not even remotely feasible in all areas) has paid off big time, at least for me.
"Mooi", I'll grant you that; in my eyes she's "schitterend".

Alessandro, Grant, Mark,
Thanks so much. I'm glad my Bluenose turned out the way she did. Now, with the last sail set, she became what I envisioned, when I set off on this journey; an impressive looking sailing vessel from an era long lost. Also going through the pains of trying to scale everything appropriately (not even remotely feasible in all areas) has paid off big time, at least for me.
"Mooi", I'll grant you that; in my eyes she's "schitterend".
Skitterend where I come from and yes Johan that is a true story. Cheers Grant

Back