YQ Bluenose by Johan [COMPLETED BUILD]

There's more music around than I'll ever be able to learn...
If you just think about it, not really much music around, I mean the music, not today's music. I hardly can select a modern band that plays music I like. Obviously, it is hard to please a Floyd fan and the music they play. :p

If you just think about it, not really much music around, I mean the music, not today's music. I hardly can select a modern band that plays music I like. Obviously, it is hard to please a Floyd fan and the music they play. :p
There is a lot to say about music and the quality of music (or lack thereof). Some parameters with which one could "measure" the quality of music may be the usage of chords, intervals, variations/diversity, text being appropriate for the melody or vice versa, echo's, etc, etc. But having said that, some people love country and western and will say it's real music, while others despise C&W and claim it to be anything but music. I once was asked which music I liked, upon which I said classical music. The reaction was: "What? That terrible noise?" I was flabbergasted. What I learned was that what I found good music was absolute horrific to others.
I do agree with your statement that there's hardly a contemporary band to be found, making sounds worth listening to.

There is a lot to say about music and the quality of music (or lack thereof). Some parameters with which one could "measure" the quality of music may be the usage of chords, intervals, variations/diversity, text being appropriate for the melody or vice versa, echo's, etc, etc. But having said that, some people love country and western and will say it's real music, while others despise C&W and claim it to be anything but music. I once was asked which music I liked, upon which I said classical music. The reaction was: "What? That terrible noise?" I was flabbergasted. What I learned was that what I found good music was absolute horrific to others.
I do agree with your statement that there's hardly a contemporary band to be found, making sounds worth listening to.
I grew up on classic rock, blues and classical music. My parents and grandparents were the first influences on me, and then I got into more modern music in my teens and 20s. After that, there wasn’t much that didn’t seem like recycled stuff that wasn’t as good as the original. Even new blues players are stale these days. :(
I can’t say I am interested in any new stuff myself. I think our generation saw the growth of some of the best musicians.

Listening to my parents' comments about the music I enjoyed in my youth and into my young adult years (which has stayed with me) and comparing to my sons music that they grew up with, my conclusion is that music is germane to the generations in which it is introduced in their youth. After that each successive generations music is merely tolerated at best by the previous generation.

Listening to my parents' comments about the music I enjoyed in my youth and into my young adult years (which has stayed with me) and comparing to my sons music that they grew up with, my conclusion is that music is germane to the generations in which it is introduced in their youth. After that each successive generations music is merely tolerated at best by the previous generation.
This is partially true, Dan. However, real music will stay and be loved by generations. For example classical music, Beatles obviously not to mention Pink Floyd. I recently had a chance to see a cover band for Pink Floyd (Brit Floyd), I was shocked to see so many youngsters there. Love and taste for good music are instilled at birth along with good manners. ;)

real music will stay and be loved by generations. For example classical music,
I agree with this too Jim. To me, music really is subjective. I remember when the Beatles first became popular, and my dad would get angry when hearing their music though I suspect he really didn't like their appearance which heavily affected his opinion on their sound.

Disco music was my first introduction to music I could not stand, then came rap, wow awful music to me but I think both those types of music are generational.

I agree with this too Jim. To me, music really is subjective. I remember when the Beatles first became popular, and my dad would get angry when hearing their music though I suspect he really didn't like their appearance which heavily affected his opinion on their sound.

Disco music was my first introduction to music I could not stand, then came rap, wow awful music to me but I think both those types of music are generational.
Indeed, when all is said and done, music ís subjective, our emotions do play an important role in what we perceive as good or high quality music. Having said that, I find myself agreeing with what Jim wrote.

Indeed, when all is said and done, music ís subjective, our emotions do play an important role in what we perceive as good or high quality music. Having said that, I find myself agreeing with what Jim wrote.
I found myself revisiting some old Thin Lizzy songs recently. I get together with a friend who also plays guitar, at least once a week, and we started learning some of their old classics like The Cowboy Song and The Boys Are Back In Town. Both are great examples of using two guitars to create harmonies that are tasteful and melodic. And Phil Lynott was a great singer in my opinion. So I really enjoying playing the classic tunes! ;)

Last edited:
Back