YQ Bluenose by Johan [COMPLETED BUILD]

Looking nice, Johan. The little fellows give a good reference of the scale of the BN.
The lighting with the pavoisation makes her unique.
Regards, Peter
Truly love the look of the model, Johan!! I am not a big fan of lighting the model (just me) but in your case, together with the newly boarded crew, it makes a difference. Maybe I will reconsider the lighting in future builds, who knows?
Shes beautiful, I get the impression she just got back to port in the late evening with her lights on and her holds full of fish. The characters are a perfect match and lend a great deal of depth by animating her appearance.
Thanks, Peter, Jim, Dan,
It's more than a year ago I added the string of lights (Evans Designs, USA) to mark her silhouette and have been anticipating switching on the lights ever since. Unfortunately the pictures do not show what it's really like; the photos suffer from overexposure, whereas the human eye easily adjusts for both lights and shadow.

Today, after suffering from a bicycling accident last night, where wearing a helmet made the difference, I moved the BN from the build stand to the final stand, which was prepared earlier. Now also the final electrical connections could be made. It was a bit of a hazzle; I had to put the BN on the stand, simultaneously feeding the two wires through a hole in one of the columns, then have the entire assembly laying on it's side to have access to the electrical wires at the underside of the base for soldering and finishing off the wires. But, even with limited usage of my left hand I was able to complete this part of the build.
Now she rests proudly on her stand.
I'm still not finished; a lot of smaller tasks still remain to be done, but it's getting closer to the finish line every day.

Port, no lights
IMG_0911.jpeg
Port, lights on.
IMG_0905.jpeg
Starboard, no lights.
IMG_0910.jpeg
Starboard, lights on.
IMG_0906.jpeg
Courtesy of the Admiral, allowing me to sit next to a nearly complete Bluenose model.
IMG_1818.jpeg

Part of the crew just boarded:
Inspecting some rigging.
View attachment 399664
Hollering someone ashore.
View attachment 399665
Watching the proceedings with a cup of coffee or is he lubricating the rails?View attachment 399669
And lights on!View attachment 399670

Grande!
Non ci sono parole per descrivere il tuo lavoro.
Sei un asso del modellismo.
Hai fatto anche delle belle foto e quelle con i led accesi è una bella idea.
Quando hai tempo, se vuoi, potresti fare delle foto di dettaglio in cui si vede la manovra della boom sheet e delle ostine (kicking strap).

Great!
There are no words to describe your work.
You are an ace model maker.
You also took some nice photos and the ones with the LEDs on are a nice idea.

When you have time, if you want, you could take some detailed photos showing the maneuvering of the boom sheet and the kicking strap.

LOVE that last picture!

Beautiful pictures, Johan. And I agree with Paul: the last one ……. The master and his masterpiece!
And hopefully you get well soon!
Regards, Peter

Ah yes, great picture of you two. Like Peter said ....The master and his masterpiece!

Johan, you have the look of a master who knows he's done a good job! Well done indeed Thumbsup

Grande!
Non ci sono parole per descrivere il tuo lavoro.
Sei un asso del modellismo.
Hai fatto anche delle belle foto e quelle con i led accesi è una bella idea.
Quando hai tempo, se vuoi, potresti fare delle foto di dettaglio in cui si vede la manovra della boom sheet e delle ostine (kicking strap).

Great!
There are no words to describe your work.
You are an ace model maker.
You also took some nice photos and the ones with the LEDs on are a nice idea.

When you have time, if you want, you could take some detailed photos showing the maneuvering of the boom sheet and the kicking strap.

Thanks Paul, Peter, Dan, Mark and Alessandro for following my blog and, again, for your compliments.
Quite frankly, the results sofar surpass all of my expactations. Is this the perfect build? Definitely not, but I haphazard the guess that about 70% of the build was spent outside my comfort zone.
Once all the little bits and pieces are installed, I'll follow up with (detailed) pictures of the completed build.

Thanks, Peter, Jim, Dan,
It's more than a year ago I added the string of lights (Evans Designs, USA) to mark her silhouette and have been anticipating switching on the lights ever since. Unfortunately the pictures do not show what it's really like; the photos suffer from overexposure, whereas the human eye easily adjusts for both lights and shadow.

Today, after suffering from a bicycling accident last night, where wearing a helmet made the difference, I moved the BN from the build stand to the final stand, which was prepared earlier. Now also the final electrical connections could be made. It was a bit of a hazzle; I had to put the BN on the stand, simultaneously feeding the two wires through a hole in one of the columns, then have the entire assembly laying on it's side to have access to the electrical wires at the underside of the base for soldering and finishing off the wires. But, even with limited usage of my left hand I was able to complete this part of the build.
I'm still not finished; a lot of smaller tasks still remain to be done, but it's getting closer to the finish line every day.

Port, no lights
View attachment 399809
Port, lights on.
View attachment 399810
Starboard, no lights.
View attachment 399811
Starboard, lights on.
View attachment 399812
Courtesy of the Admiral, allowing me to sit next to a nearly complete Bluenose model.
View attachment 399813
Good morning Johan. Firstly I am happy you are okay after your bicycle accident. After 2 years and a few days, and mostly being “out of your comfort zone” your project BN is done. Congratulations! She is a beautiful rendition of the BN there can be no doubting that and, personally, I have enjoyed the ride with you. A model to be proudly displayed. You owned it ! Cheers Grant

Good morning Johan. Firstly I am happy you are okay after your bicycle accident. After 2 years and a few days, and mostly being “out of your comfort zone” your project BN is done. Congratulations! She is a beautiful rendition of the BN there can be no doubting that and, personally, I have enjoyed the ride with you. A model to be proudly displayed. You owned it ! Cheers Grant
Thanks so much, Grant, it's appreciated.
The journey isn't entirely over yet, little bits and pieces still to be added, but it's close enough.
It was a pleasure having you on board and I hope to see you again soon, if not on the Xebec, it'll be on another little project of ours.
See ya,
Johan

Good that you wear a helmet during bycling - your Bluenose has to be finished and other models are waiting for you
-> so keep care about yourself
Ever since my Admiral had a bicycle accident, inflicting a severe concussion, we are wearing a helmet, wherever we go.
And as for a next model: I still have no idea whatsoever...

Ever since my Admiral had a bicycle accident, inflicting a severe concussion, we are wearing a helmet, wherever we go.
And as for a next model: I still have no idea whatsoever...
Good morning Johan. Yep, concussion is no joke- helmets are a good thing. I have an idea for your next build. Since you love rigging so much I recommend you join the HMS Victory club ROTF . Cheers Grant

I have an idea for your next build. Since you love rigging so much I recommend you join the HMS Victory club ROTF
Wherever did you get that impression??? ROTF
I am looking for a build I can connect to, if that makes any sense. The attractions for the Bluenose were a connection to my old man, the absolute stunning lines of her hull, the esthetics of the sails and the Bea if the simplified rigging, at least, when compared to the square rigged monsters of the centuries before steam-driven ships became popular. (Purposely leaving out cannons, hundreds of them... :eek:o_O)
But, first things first; finishing this BN, then build the Fokker D.VII and then I honestly don't have a clue. There were options I considered before, one being a skeleton model of the P51D Mustang (not available anymore), another a skeleton model of the F4U Corsair (not available yet(?)). Also air related would be a model of the F35 Lightning II (I participated in the development of the F35) or the Fokker Zilvermeeuw or a model of one of those old steam driven harbor tugs, we used to see in the Netherlands...
In short, heavily undecided.
Luckily there's another pastime I truly enjoy:
IMG_1583.jpeg

Thanks, Peter, Jim, Dan,

Port, no lights
View attachment 399809
Port, lights on.
View attachment 399810
Starboard, no lights.
View attachment 399811
Starboard, lights on.
View attachment 399812
View attachment 399813
Hello Johan, I congratulate you on the Great Job you have did on completion of your YQ-Bluenose, You must and should be very proud of your Great Tasks. Great picture of you and your lit up YQ-Bluenose, Well Done.
Regards Lawrence

Thank you so much Lawrence and indeed, I am very pleased with the results so far.
Having all sails set and finalizing the light installation were indeed major milestones. I'm not entirely there yet, but what's still left to do are minor tasks, to be completed in a few weeks or so.
Regards, Johan

Back