YQ Bluenose by Johan [COMPLETED BUILD]

Processing the hanks.
They are becoming ridiculously small, especially on the quarter deck, where I have only 5/6mm (36/40cm) to play with, which doesn't look too realistic. I Als tried some coils, so far without succes.

IMG_0961.jpeg

Work on the quarter deck arrangement is also progressing. Looking for the most plausible and attractive layout: two buckets added, one on the aft cabin roof and one just aft of the aft hatches, plus a wooden barrel. The container for the drums now stained and coated.
IMG_0973.jpeg

Processing the hanks.
They are becoming ridiculously small, especially on the quarter deck, where I have only 5/6mm (36/40cm) to play with, which doesn't look too realistic. I Als tried some coils, so far without succes.

View attachment 404418

Work on the quarter deck arrangement is also progressing. Looking for the most plausible and attractive layout: two buckets added, one on the aft cabin roof and one just aft of the aft hatches, plus a wooden barrel. The container for the drums now stained and coated.
View attachment 404417
It’s all in the details and your are fine, Johan.
Regards, Peter

Processing the hanks.

View attachment 404418

View attachment 404417
Bravo Johan, che cura dei dettagli!
Ti capisco è difficile lavorare pezzi così piccoli.

Vedo che hai messo una botte. Con un amico modellista tempo fa abbiamo discusso sulla presenza o meno delle botti sul ponte.
Mi ha convinto a non metterle.
Ora la vedo sul tuo modello. La volgio anch'iooooooooo.

Well done Johan, what attention to detail!
I understand, it's difficult to work with such small pieces.
I see you've got a beating.
Some time ago, a modeller friend and I discussed the presence or absence of barrels on the deck.
He convinced me not to wear them.
Now I see it on your model. I want it too.

Thanks, Peter, Jim, Dan,
It's more than a year ago I added the string of lights (Evans Designs, USA) to mark her silhouette and have been anticipating switching on the lights ever since. Unfortunately the pictures do not show what it's really like; the photos suffer from overexposure, whereas the human eye easily adjusts for both lights and shadow.

Today, after suffering from a bicycling accident last night, where wearing a helmet made the difference, I moved the BN from the build stand to the final stand, which was prepared earlier. Now also the final electrical connections could be made. It was a bit of a hazzle; I had to put the BN on the stand, simultaneously feeding the two wires through a hole in one of the columns, then have the entire assembly laying on it's side to have access to the electrical wires at the underside of the base for soldering and finishing off the wires. But, even with limited usage of my left hand I was able to complete this part of the build.
Now she rests proudly on her stand.
I'm still not finished; a lot of smaller tasks still remain to be done, but it's getting closer to the finish line every day.

Port, no lights
View attachment 399809
Port, lights on.
View attachment 399810
Starboard, no lights.
View attachment 399811
Starboard, lights on.
View attachment 399812
Courtesy of the Admiral, allowing me to sit next to a nearly complete Bluenose model.
View attachment 399813
Dear Johan
I'm really sorry that I missed your beautiful progress in the model. I admire your meticulous work on the small details.
I loved the ship with the lighting that highlighted the contours and quality of your work. Well done my friend

Processing the hanks.

View attachment 404418

View attachment 404417
Good morning Johan. Rope hanks…I think after rigging cannons my least favorite aspect of little ship building. Those are tiny as well so kudos, you got them good. Your details are adding something extra to an awesome BN. Cheers Grant

5 a 6 mm is small, wel done.
Johan, rope hanks give me fits, I have yet to produced even one that I have been satisfied with. I agree with Stephen though, yours are well done.
It’s all in the details and your are fine, Johan.
Regards, Peter
Bravo Johan, che cura dei dettagli!
Ti capisco è difficile lavorare pezzi così piccoli.

Vedo che hai messo una botte. Con un amico modellista tempo fa abbiamo discusso sulla presenza o meno delle botti sul ponte.
Mi ha convinto a non metterle.
Ora la vedo sul tuo modello. La volgio anch'iooooooooo.

Well done Johan, what attention to detail!
I understand, it's difficult to work with such small pieces.
I see you've got a beating.
Some time ago, a modeller friend and I discussed the presence or absence of barrels on the deck.
He convinced me not to wear them.
Now I see it on your model. I want it too.
Dear Johan
I'm really sorry that I missed your beautiful progress in the model. I admire your meticulous work on the small details.
I loved the ship with the lighting that highlighted the contours and quality of your work. Well done my friend
Good morning Johan. Rope hanks…I think after rigging cannons my least favorite aspect of little ship building. Those are tiny as well so kudos, you got them good. Your details are adding something extra to an awesome BN. Cheers Grant
Thank you once again for your compliments and comments.
The current stage of the project is one of boredom (making coils and hanks) and experimenting with what works in terms of details adding to the general appearance of the Bluenose (or not...)
In order to complete the hanks and coils, I need to order (again) some rope. In the mean time, I'm still waiting for some oil drums to arrive.
Since I really dislike making hanks, I'm continuously looking for other things to do and, even if I say so myself, I'm pretty successful at that...
I adorned the tops of the top masts with the head of some needles I was gifted by the Admiral. Furthermore I added the Canadian ensign flag (I believe this is what this flag is called) and the flag of the Netherlands (my first attempt had the flag upside down) and Amsterdam, since she is visiting Amsterdam, the Netherlands.
(Since I still have a little rope left, it's now inevitably back to the hanks...)

The top mast with the head of the needle in place and the Canadian ensign attached to the flag halliard:
IMG_0984.jpeg

The flags of Amsterdam and the Netherlands in the foremast. I used the so-called fish purchase for that; since it's not in use, the fish purchase may be used for other purposes as well (invoking AL-FI):
IMG_0983.jpeg:

Back