YQ Bluenose by Johan [COMPLETED BUILD]

While working on the bulkheads and galley I'm simultaneously tinkering with the lights.
The issue with the standard delivered leds is that the wires are way too long, resulting in either a lot of wire being visible or a lot of messing around to hide the surplus of wires. For me this wasn't acceptable, resulting in cutting the wires to the required length ánd resoldering the resistors.
At the moment I have five leds modified and have started to attach them to the deck beams. I still have to decide on how to connect it to the "live" wires, but one step at the time...

The lights for the focsle and nav lights prepared and installation to the deck beams started.
I am using the smallest shrinksleeves I could get, but they're stil slightly oversized.
In terms of installation it requires some planning; I have to install the lights to the beams, prior to install the beams to the hull, once installed, there's no access to the lower side of the beams, plus I can't route the wires the way I want; with a minimum of visibility, when displayed.

B7034D2F-263D-47E3-A477-FB639F08ACBC.jpeg

Testing all the connections: they're all good!
While working on changing the length of the wires, I checked every single connection I made, prior to applying shrinksleeves. Also, after attaching the lights to the beams, I checked again.
The next step is to temporarily install these deck beams and establish the way to terminate all wires and how and where to connect them to the "live" wires.

4BF05092-C959-4845-932B-B9013871F457.jpeg

Last edited:
Great work Johan, I can't wait to see the overall effect of this lighting once your model is complete Thumbsup
Nice to see that the lights have been given a good destination
They give nice light for the very small light
Ik ben benieuwd!
@Nomad , @Henk Liebre and @Heinrich: Thanks for the positive feedback! And again a big thank you for the set of lights, Henk. I have been close a couple of times to give up on the idea of adding lights, but in all honesty, I couldn't let you down.

I'm estimating it's still some time away, before I can declare success though. There's still some routing issues to deal with, or more accurate, the resistors take up quite some space, relatively speaking, of course, and adding the other customizations (bulkhead, galleys), I am encountering some feedthrough issues, impacting the configuration of the galley and the bulkheads... With the routing of the wiring I want to stay as close as possible to the lower side of the deckbeams, thus having the least impact on what may be seen from the open deck and the starboard hull.
I am pleasantly surprised by the robustness of the SMD-leds. One of the leds required re-attachment of one of the wires and that worked out okay: it still emits light... Also re-soldering the resistors haven't given any problems yet and mind you, I'm not an expert on soldering tiny stuff (or soldering anything altogether...)
And Heinrich, ik ben zeker net zo nieuwsgierig als jij naar het uiteindelijke resultaat; het is een zenuwslopend klusje...

Hello Johan, Nice work on your Led Lighting, it all seams like a lot of work now but the end results will be very pleasing. I am in the same boat now, installing my Led Lamps in the bow section. I can not seam to find a lot of time these days to work in the Old Ship Yard, there seams
to be so much else to do.
Regards Lawrence

Hi Johan. Back on stage and saw your lightning progress. It gives your BN and your skills a new dimension. And it is a challenge to hide all the wires. I'm really curious what the outcome will be.
Regards, Peter
Hey Peter,

Welcome home!

Hello Johan, Nice work on your Led Lighting, it all seams like a lot of work now but the end results will be very pleasing. I am in the same boat now, installing my Led Lamps in the bow section. I can not seam to find a lot of time these days to work in the Old Ship Yard, there seams
to be so much else to do.
Regards Lawrence
Hi Johan. Back on stage and saw your lightning progress. It gives your BN and your skills a new dimension. And it is a challenge to hide all the wires. I'm really curious what the outcome will be.
Regards, Peter
A lot of work indeed and this afternoon disaster struck...
While permanently attaching the two focsle lights to the deck beams, I put too much tension on the wires, while manoeuvering the lights into the required position, resulting in a few of the wire connections becoming undone. Sick :eek:
So it's back to square one for these lights.
Now I'm following a process to try and not to add more connections, but instead "store" the surplus wire in a shrink sleeve.
Still, handling these tiny lights is "monniken werk" (monk's work) and I had to re-solder both wires to one of the led lights.

A lot of work indeed and this afternoon disaster struck...
While permanently attaching the two focsle lights to the deck beams, I put too much tension on the wires, while manoeuvering the lights into the required position, resulting in a few of the wire connections becoming undone. Sick :eek:
So it's back to square one for these lights.
Now I'm following a process to try and not to add more connections, but instead "store" the surplus wire in a shrink sleeve.
Still, handling these tiny lights is "monniken werk" (monk's work) and I had to re-solder both wires to one of the led lights.
Hello Johan, Sorry to hear of your troubles. Yes these tiny Led Lamps are vert tiny and very delicate, I normally handle them with silk gloves [so to speak]. I tend to use the shrink wrap only on the wire joints as I feel that the wires are much easier to conceal over the much larger shrink wrap. My 2 cents worth, hope this helps.
Regards Lawrence

Hello Johan, Sorry to hear of your troubles. Yes these tiny Led Lamps are vert tiny and very delicate, I normally handle them with silk gloves [so to speak]. I tend to use the shrink wrap only on the wire joints as I feel that the wires are much easier to conceal over the much larger shrink wrap. My 2 cents worth, hope this helps.
Regards Lawrence
Thanks for your advice, Lawrence. Initially I was inclined to use shrink sleeves all over, but that would result in quite voluptuous wiring. What I'm currently trying is to coil the surplus wire and insert that into a shrink sleeve. The resistors are then also inserted into the sleeve as far as they go. That combination is then attached to the beam. I will upload a couple of pictures shortly, to illustrate my intention. Still looking for space thought; it is certainly not at a premium for this build, especially since part of the internal structure will remain visible.
It's also very time consuming; thinking about possible solutions, trying to have a plan B, trying out possibilities, realizing some possibilities are not feasible and starting over again. Basically the past few weeks have been spend toying with the lights and the routing, but coming up empty-handed sofar.
To be continued...

That is not "leuk" (nice) to read, Johan. The thing is that you are pretty much in unchartered territories here - but between Lawrence and you (and with the advice of Henk) I am sure you will succeed in the end.

Thanks for your advice, Lawrence. Initially I was inclined to use shrink sleeves all over, but that would result in quite voluptuous wiring. What I'm currently trying is to coil the surplus wire and insert that into a shrink sleeve. The resistors are then also inserted into the sleeve as far as they go. That combination is then attached to the beam. I will upload a couple of pictures shortly, to illustrate my intention. Still looking for space thought; it is certainly not at a premium for this build, especially since part of the internal structure will remain visible.
It's also very time consuming; thinking about possible solutions, trying to have a plan B, trying out possibilities, realizing some possibilities are not feasible and starting over again. Basically the past few weeks have been spend toying with the lights and the routing, but coming up empty-handed sofar.
To be continued...
I've never read the word 'voluptuous' and 'wiring' in the same sentence.......

I've never read the word 'voluptuous' and 'wiring' in the same sentence.......
There's a first for everything! ROTF
But seriously, I never realized that having four small lights in the focsle would mean massive (relatively speaking) wires in the hull...

Two beam assemblies with the focsle lights:
0B94E391-126F-41CE-B007-DC00D58DCE43.jpeg
The wiring for the two nav lights:3F607595-EDFE-4196-9AB7-2C0D92B1D532.jpeg
The surplus wire coiled around something suitable:
250300BF-3771-4420-91C3-301FD0C988C6.jpeg
The coil bundled, ready to insert into a shrink sleeve:
EE6944B0-178E-4ECC-8502-1C0BE843C716.jpeg
Insertion in progress, nearly there:
A2D602BF-FC1F-4C19-B4F6-31EA940B8742.jpeg
Wire assembly ready for the next step:
629FD4C5-0397-46F5-8008-EB07315AB07C.jpeg

Fwd wire assembly:
42433AC3-5C22-4BCE-B28E-10D23F78056E.jpeg
A lot of soldering steps further, dry fitted:
50E04B2B-1C55-478E-9282-F66021228D8B.jpeg

7665A548-C8B7-4CA1-BCF5-CB3E9FA6CB54.jpeg

Based on my experiences with the first wire assembly, I have decided on multiple, separate wire assemblies. That means I'll have two more wire assemblies to make; one for the two fishholds and one for the aft cabin. Another consideration is to permanently install what is completed; I don't want to touch the wire assemblies any more than I have to. That would mean installing beams 12 through 18 and completing that area of the focsle/front mast as much as possible, prior to moving to the next wire assembly.

Last edited:
That is not "leuk" (nice) to read, Johan. The thing is that you are pretty much in unchartered territories here - but between Lawrence and you (and with the advice of Henk) I am sure you will succeed in the end.
Before I decided to take on the "Lights on in the Bluenose"-project, I didn't realize that the scale we're working with would be the complicating factor. Just how difficult can it be, just a couple of lights, in parallel, just a bit of soldering, install things in the hull, hook up to some power supply and voilà, let there be light.
It appears now that space, or lack thereof, is my biggest enemy, pun intended.

Two beam assemblies with the focsle lights:
View attachment 312853
The wiring for the two nav lights:View attachment 312854
The surplus wire coiled around something suitable:
View attachment 312855
The coil bundled, ready to insert into a shrink sleeve:
View attachment 312856
Insertion in progress, nearly there:
View attachment 312858
Wire assembly ready for the next step:
View attachment 312857

Fwd wire assembly:
View attachment 312913
A lot of soldering steps further, dry fitted:
View attachment 312911

View attachment 312914

Based on my experiences with the first wire assembly, I have decided on multiple, separate wire assemblies. That means I'll have two more wire assemblies to make; one for the two fishholds and one for the aft cabin. Another consideration is to permanently install what is completed; I don't want to touch the wire assemblies any more than I have to. That would mean installing beams 12 through 18 and completing that area of the focsle/front mast as much as possible, prior to moving to the next wire assembly.
That is a lot of work with those tiny and wires, Johan. Fingers crossed for you by the installing of those beams.
I am glad I can use the daylight or external light to show the interior
Regards, Peter

Back