YQ Bluenose Ted R

Can't help you their Ted, I handmade mine a little differently. I did hand make dozens of eyelets by hand with wire, all I can say is use what will please your own eye unless you want to research each actual eye type and scale it down mathematically then hand make it.

1724527018243.png

Can't help you their Ted, I handmade mine a little differently. I did hand make dozens of eyelets by hand with wire, all I can say is use what will please your own eye unless you want to research each actual eye type and scale it down mathematically then hand make it.

View attachment 466973
That's really impressive but above my capabilities.
Are you aware of anyone else mentioning the size of the eyebolts in their build logs.
Ted

I preinstalled the bowsprit. The wood block glued to the end worked wonderfully.View attachment 467021
Hi Ted. At first: the entrance to the forecastle is standing in the wrong direction. In your situation, if the entrance is open, all the overflowing water from the bow will flow in. The entrance must point to the rear. See the P.10 on the main drawing on the plan 8-3.

Not off the top of my head but I'm sure its discussed somewhere. Probably the best reference would be Peter Voogt.
When not handmade I sometimes used the 2mm eyebolts from Amati, partnr. 4704.
4704 is brass
4703 is copper
Regards, Peter

Last edited:
Hi Ted. At first: the entrance to the forecastle is standing in the wrong direction. In your situation, if the entrance is open, all the overflowing water from the bow will flow in. The entrance must point to the rear. See the P.10 on the main drawing on the plan 8-3.

When not handmade I sometimes used the 2mm eyebolts from Amati, partnr. 4704.
4704 is brass
4703 is copper
Regards, Peter
Thank you Peter
I found 2.5 and 3.5mm pear single blocks from model shipyard at a reasonable price.
They appear to be quite nice.
The forecastle entrance was just sitting there awaiting clear coat. Thank for the heads up.
I have pulled a few dislexic moves on this build.
Best regards
Ted
IMG20240825135400.jpgIMG20240825135447.jpg

My first attempt at seizing on the anchor. Using Gutterman's .2mm thread I found at Michaels Craft store.
The thread appears to large.
I used an actual seizing knot.
Best regards
Ted
IMG20240826172122.jpg

IMG20240826172320.jpg

Looks like your moving right along Ted. Your macro shots of the seizing in post 809 are out of focus, I would love to see that close in shot in focus.

Last edited:
Hi Ted

Considering the era and type of vessel shouldn't the anchors be iron stock anchors or maybe bank anchors?

Allan

As far as I know, fluke anchors, as shown in Ted's previous post, may still have been in use on the Bluenose. This anchor was used for sandy sea bottoms and suitable for smaller sea going vessels.
The fisherman's anchor was definitely used on the Bluenose; pictorial evidence is available. This anchor is suitable for rocky sea bottoms.

If I remember correctly, @Peter Voogt posted some useful information with regards to the Bluenose anchors.

Hi Ted
Considering the era and type of vessel shouldn't the anchors be iron stock anchors or maybe bank anchors?
Allan
If I remember correctly, @Peter Voogt posted some useful information with regards to the Bluenose anchors.
Hi Allan. I was just reading your post in Ted's build-log. Then I saw the post of Johan (with a mail alert in my inbox.). I hope that Ted will find it ok for answering. It's a kind of special stuff for the schooners.
During my build of my BN I made this post: --> Banks and Harbor Anchor <--
The YQ kit is only provided with the anchors Ted is showing. We had the luck that our fellow member Dean @Dean62 designed a Club anchor. And after mailing his file we had a friend her in the Netherland who printed a few of them. So a few builders of the YQ-BN have both type of anchors on there BN.
Regards, Peter

Hi Allan. I was just reading your post in Ted's build-log. Then I saw the post of Johan (with a mail alert in my inbox.). I hope that Ted will find it ok for answering. It's a kind of special stuff for the schooners.
During my build of my BN I made this post: --> Banks and Harbor Anchor <--
The YQ kit is only provided with the anchors Ted is showing. We had the luck that our fellow member Dean @Dean62 designed a Club anchor. And after mailing his file we had a friend her in the Netherland who printed a few of them. So a few builders of the YQ-BN have both type of anchors on there BN.
Regards, Peter
Thanks Peter, I was just too lazy to wade through 100+ pages of your (BTW excellent and must-read) blog... :cool:
The two different anchors do make ones build just a little more authentic.

Not sure if one of these, or neither, are appropriate. They are from Chappelle's book on fishing schooners. The dimension may be different for different size vessels.
Allan
Bank anchor
1724759552735.jpeg
Iron stock anchor
1724759714577.jpeg

Not sure if one of these, or neither, are appropriate. They are from Chappelle's book on fishing schooners. The dimension may be different for different size vessels.
Allan
Bank anchor
View attachment 467648
Iron stock anchor
View attachment 467649
We know those drawings. We (Dean) designed the stock (harbor) anchor partly based on these drawings. For scratch build there are often better options, but most of us have to deal with the items of a kit.
Regards, Peter

Back