YUANQING BLUENOSE - Don Robinson

Looking great Don! I know about losing momentum. I have been very busy at home planting fruit trees since it’s spring, and putting mulch in the flower beds, etc.
That's my problem, I need to get outside and do something different. The ground is still very frozen here yet, and still lots of snow, at least another month before any yard work will start.

When time and energy return I think that you will be well rewarded by planking your own deck an bypassing the pressed sheet piece. The new tool sounds very flexible. Have fun with experimenting. Rich
Thanks Rich, I'm sure I'll have lots of fun with the new toy/tool. And you are correct the pressed deck will not be used

Hello everyone hope your day is going good so far and the modelling also is going great.
It has been an extremely slow period here, the energy level has fallen to a scary low that needs to be corrected!! I have accomplished some and also acquired a new tool/toy that has perked me up somewhat. I'm thinking one more tool/toy this month and I should be back to normal once again. :) ROTF
View attachment 222262
I have now gone from cleaning char to cleaning up cnc cut pieces, jury is still out as to which is more work!! The tools I used for this work: The little camp to hold the pieces(your fingers do get sore otherwise), file, exacto knife, homemade 2 mm chisel and various grits of sanding blocks

View attachment 222263
pieces cleaned up and a coat of wipe on poly

View attachment 222264
installed

View attachment 222265
next set of frames, other than the cleaning this is a fairly easy process.

View attachment 222266
And installed, I'll need to investigate the suspicious white dots that are visible.

View attachment 222267
Here I am playing around trying to simulate trenails. The top two pieces are scraps of cherry from the kit and the piece lying underneath is the actual deck from the kit.

View attachment 222268
Some more practising and the tool I used. This is a wood burning pen with a .4 mm ball tip, temperature setting was at four.

View attachment 222269
And this is the new tool/toy!! A new wood burning kit or better called pyrography. I think it has lots of possibilities. Not only wood burning but also with a max temperature of 720 C/1400 F soldering could easily be done. There is a wide range of tips to suit many needs.

View attachment 222270
Here I tried it on simulating caulking on some yellow cedar. To me it looks not too bad and it was very easy to do.
Anyways I thought I would share this with you.
Have a good one and thanks for stopping in!!:):)
The small clamp that you use to save your fingers while filing.. . do you recall where you got it? I know that I have the same challenge and need something similar. Rich

The colour of those beams look splendid after the poly-application. The burning pen is completely new to me, but is certainly a very nice addition to the toolbox. Energy running low - maybe you should replenish the vodka stash!

Hello everyone hope your day is going good so far and the modelling also is going great.
It has been an extremely slow period here, the energy level has fallen to a scary low that needs to be corrected!! I have accomplished some and also acquired a new tool/toy that has perked me up somewhat. I'm thinking one more tool/toy this month and I should be back to normal once again. :) ROTF
View attachment 222262
I have now gone from cleaning char to cleaning up cnc cut pieces, jury is still out as to which is more work!! The tools I used for this work: The little camp to hold the pieces(your fingers do get sore otherwise), file, exacto knife, homemade 2 mm chisel and various grits of sanding blocks

View attachment 222263
pieces cleaned up and a coat of wipe on poly

View attachment 222264
installed

View attachment 222265
next set of frames, other than the cleaning this is a fairly easy process.

View attachment 222266
And installed, I'll need to investigate the suspicious white dots that are visible.

View attachment 222267
Here I am playing around trying to simulate trenails. The top two pieces are scraps of cherry from the kit and the piece lying underneath is the actual deck from the kit.

View attachment 222268
Some more practising and the tool I used. This is a wood burning pen with a .4 mm ball tip, temperature setting was at four.

View attachment 222269
And this is the new tool/toy!! A new wood burning kit or better called pyrography. I think it has lots of possibilities. Not only wood burning but also with a max temperature of 720 C/1400 F soldering could easily be done. There is a wide range of tips to suit many needs.

View attachment 222270
Here I tried it on simulating caulking on some yellow cedar. To me it looks not too bad and it was very easy to do.
Anyways I thought I would share this with you.
Have a good one and thanks for stopping in!!:):)
Hi Don,
Nice to see this (for me) new technic with the burning pen.
Glad you picked up the BN again.
Regards, Peter

Last edited:
The small clamp that you use to save your fingers while filing.. . do you recall where you got it? I know that I have the same challenge and need something similar. Rich
Rich I bought these at Lee Valley but unfortunately they are not selling them anymore. The last time I looked, to buy more, they were no longer there.

View attachment 219690
Making the mast feet pieces 43, 44, 46, 47. I decided to scratch build a set out of padauk wood. At the top of the picture is a piece that I made these from. As you can see, as with most exotic woods, it loses it bright colour after time but I can enjoy it for now!

View attachment 219691
I turned around once to grab something off my other bench and seen this, the morning sun shining on the padauk wood sawdust. I thought it looked cool.

View attachment 219693
Here they are finished, I used 90 mm or 20 gauge copper wire to simulate the bolts. A little large but looks fine from a normal distance.

View attachment 219694
Piece 53, char has been removed and ready for installation

View attachment 219695
This inserted in the gap at the stern leaving 1 mm protruding on the outside, as seen here, and flush to the frames on the inside.

View attachment 219696View attachment 219697View attachment 219698
Then I gave it all a coat of wipe on poly. Some cleaning up was done, mostly glue spots, after these pictures and the interior got a second coat then.

View attachment 219699
And finally for Lou @Stargazer a picture of the perma grit files with cherry handles

Thanks so much for checking in, the likes and the comments very much appreciated

Have a Good One!

Nice file handles. The one's I made are not so fancy, just strait, with a brass ferrule. Made of lacquered walnut. I made 10 handles, 5 for my older set of permagrit needle files. They are medium grit. I recently found out they now have a fine grit needle file set as well. Couldn't find them in the US, but ordered them directly. shipped on Monday, Arrived on Saturday from UK to US.. Have pics on my build thread.

Nice file handles. The one's I made are not so fancy, just strait, with a brass ferrule. Made of lacquered walnut. I made 10 handles, 5 for my older set of permagrit needle files. They are medium grit. I recently found out they now have a fine grit needle file set as well. Couldn't find them in the US, but ordered them directly. shipped on Monday, Arrived on Saturday from UK to US.. Have pics on my build thread.
I seen your post and you have me thinking about getting some of the fine ones. Do you find there is much of a difference between them?

I seen your post and you have me thinking about getting some of the fine ones. Do you find there is much of a difference between them?
I do. The medium ones are kinda coarse, but do remove stock more quickly. The fine ones are definitely finer. You can feel the difference with your finger. I've found I like them the best for dressing the notches in the keel, those spacer things, the inner keel and the frames. These things last a lifetime, so I'm sure I will get plenty of use out of them.

Last edited:
Hello Don, Very nice work you are doing on your Bluenose. Those little Parole are manufactured by L S. Starrett Co., mine is # 161AA a very handy little clamp, but they are very expensive to buy new, they can be had on E Bay at a much more reasonable price.
I like the little Hand Vice that a friend gave me, no markings on it at all and he can not remember just how he acquired it but it is a great finger saver. I have seen pictures of it in the web but those have a turn nob instead of the wing nut that I have. I have thanked my friend many times for this great gift.
Don may I ask you what type or should I say gloss of rub on Polly do you use? I have never used it up to now always using oils or varnish. How about your glue joints, will the glue stick to the Polly if so how do you address this problem? Thanks for your help.

Regards Lawrence

IMG_5956.JPG

Last edited:
Here is the start of my Bluenose build. Unlike others I cannot wait to start especially since I just started the HMS Ontario which will take months to complete. I have decided I will try and dedicate one day a week to the Bluenose and see how that works, at that rate I should always remain behind @Heinrich! :p
I did do a little preview of the kit being careful not to open too many things before needed. After seeing Heinrich's critique of this kit I knew it was going to be great but until you actually have it in your hands you really can't appreciate the quality of it. It should prove to be a fantastic build.
Just one word of caution, we MUST keep Heinrich happy and healthy as the Chinese instructions would be a little hard to follow without his guidance and translations.
SO HERE'S TO YOU BUDDY!!:):):):)

There she is fresh off her long trip to Prince Albert, Saskatchewan.
Today I will first put together the jig, I may have an update later on today.
Have fun and Thanks for checking this out
ps. one wrong picture included(that's the HMS Ontario). The Bluenose was my birthday present and for Christmas I bought myself a new iPhone 12 pro max phone, so I'm going a little crazy taking pictures!!:p
Hallo Don alias @DonRobinson
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY 66th BIRTHDAY (we say here "Schnapszahl" with the 66 - booze number)
Birthday-Cake
Do you still work on the Bluenose?

Hello Don, Happy Birthday. My Admiral and I wish you a Great day, that you got the biggest piece of Cake and also that you received all of the New Toys that you had hopped for and maybe just a few more for good luck.
Regards Bernadette and Lawrence

Back