YUANQING BLUENOSE - Peter Voogt [COMPLETED BUILD]

I made some extra samples for the treenails. The size of 0,5 mm gives me the best view.
Supported by the Saga-info:
The outside of the treenails was 1 3/8" = 1.375" = 34,925 mm.
On scale 1:72 34,925 mm = 0,485 mm = 0,019".
In the drilled holes of 0,5 mm, a toothpick pointed in the Drawplate 22 fits well.
With this result on the finished frame 1, fitted in the keel:
View attachment 213563

I accentuated the treenails with the tip of a auto-pencil which is using 0.5mm fillings:
View attachment 213566
It is depending how flat the light floods over te frame to see more of less of the treenail it self or the accent.
The front and the back of the frame has 1 layer of mat varnish.

I also made a sample with the inside of the hole blackening with the pencil, but it gives no much extra on the view.
Regards, Peter
Does using the varnish limit the final finish on the frames?

Because of some issues by the BN-builds of some other builders, I was ready through my own build-log. The I noticed that I have never answered this FI-issue.
But one more thing: on the now oiled planks I did something unorthodox with the treenails. Who knows, may say. Then I tell my FI about that too.
Now I'm intrigued!
Perhaps it also gives Paul the answer to his (by me) never answered question that it is not 'just another BN' .........
It's looking a little plain and ordinary Peter. Any chance you could add some custom details to make it truly yours rather than just another BN?
With the warning of Johan:
Paul,
This comment might come back and haunt you one day, you know that, right?
Johan

I know I'm being called crazy now because it doesn't make any sense, but that's what it said.
I have clarified it in this earlier posted picture from my build-log:
1216 Nail direction.jpg
The red line shows the separation between frames 35 and 36. Related to this line, the treenails form a V pattern.
My FI: the attachment forces of the planking with the treenails are directed in this way to 1 vertical position on the hull.
Why there ......... no idea.;) It suddenly occurred to me. Could anyone have seen this? I do not think so. Hence this confession. :)
Another picture showing them during the build:
621 Stern.jpg
Perhaps zoom in and search ......
And also on the end result, if you look carefully:
1169 Rope.jpg
As a quoted before ......... It's all in the details ..... :D and AL-FI on it’s best!
Regards, Peter

Last edited:
My FI: the attachment forces of the planking with the treenails are directed in this way to 1 vertical position on the hull.
Why there ......... no idea.;)
Nice one Peter, very nice.
One could argue it is to better accommodate the load introduction of the hull's bending loads, either upwards or downwards, but that might be a rather slippery slope.
Btw, did you give the port side the same treatment?

Nice one Peter, very nice.
One could argue it is to better accommodate the load introduction of the hull's bending loads, either upwards or downwards, but that might be a rather slippery slope.
in any case it stimulates the why ……..
Btw, did you give the port side the same treatment?
Yes, but you have to look very carefully there because it is black and red.
Regards, Peter

C'è una cura dei particolari assolutamemte fantastica.
Rimango assolutamente ammirato da questo lavoro Peter.
Tu e Johan siete modellsiti eccezionali, portate in alto la vostra bandiera.

There is absolutely fantastic attention to detail.
I remain absolutely in awe of this work Peter.
You and Johan are exceptional naval modellers, fly your flag high.

Brilliant!
I second that
C'è una cura dei particolari assolutamemte fantastica.
Rimango assolutamente ammirato da questo lavoro Peter.
Tu e Johan siete modellsiti eccezionali, portate in alto la vostra bandiera.

There is absolutely fantastic attention to detail.
I remain absolutely in awe of this work Peter.
You and Johan are exceptional naval modellers, fly your flag high.
The details of your BN continue to amaze me, Peter.
Thanks for your reactions with the compliments.
For some reason I just spent the last several minutes trying to imagine what type of forces did real treenails undergo, bending, shear, tension....
they scream: - Stop hitting me in the head!!! ROTF ROTF ROTF
When you see the ship in front of you, rolling, pitching and pounding in a rough sea, it groans and groans at every seam. Then the treenails in the planks have their say: this is why you hit us, now we keep you safe. How small nails become great.
Regards, Peter

The details of your BN continue to amaze me, Peter. For some reason I just spent the last several minutes trying to imagine what type of forces did real treenails undergo, bending, shear, tension....
The treenails themselves can only take bending, shear and surface pressure. The hull itself would be subject to bending-, tension-, compression- and torsional loads (am I forgetting one or two?). I can't really think of a dominant load case, requiring the treenails to reverse at one point or another.
Like Peter said: Free Interpretation.

Back