YUANQING BLUENOSE - Peter Voogt [COMPLETED BUILD]

Yet..., another great way to end up a year - start another build. Wish you success, Peter it is certainly an interesting kit, but don't forget about an old but beautiful Lady. :)
Thanxs Jim, I will divide my attention.
But: Is a ship (my Lee?) female?
We have already discussies it in The Lee build-log. Sorry.

My Robert E. Lee has a male name. The Lee to me is a he.
The Bluenose I consider ‘her’ as a she.
It maken a nice couple.

But please, don’t see the second part of the reply very seriously ;)
Regards, Peter

Last edited:
From an old Navy Man;

A ship is called a she because there is always a great deal of bustle around her; there is usually a gang of men about; she has a waist and stays; it takes a lot of paint to keep her good-looking; it is not the initial expense that breaks you, it is the upkeep; she can be all decked out; it takes an experienced man to handle her correctly; and without a man at the helm, she is absolutely uncontrollable. She shows her topsides, hiders her bottom and, when coming into port, always heads for the buoys.

:):)

From an old Navy Man;

A ship is called a she because there is always a great deal of bustle around her; there is usually a gang of men about; she has a waist and stays; it takes a lot of paint to keep her good-looking; it is not the initial expense that breaks you, it is the upkeep; she can be all decked out; it takes an experienced man to handle her correctly; and without a man at the helm, she is absolutely uncontrollable. She shows her topsides, hiders her bottom and, when coming into port, always heads for the buoys.

The black shoes know their ports very well!!! Rich (an airdale :cool:

From an old Navy Man;

ROTF ROTF ROTF Well that sums it up pretty well Eugene @MM2CVS9 Thumbsup
The black shoes know their ports very well!!! Rich (an airdale :cool:
Gents, you can give me 100 more reasons, but my Lee is becomming from a bully boy to a pround man.
And a female with a man’s name, I will not say what we call it in the Netherlands.
Then I prefer IT by today’s standards as gender neutral.;).
Regards, Peter

Thanks for the reply, Rich.
To reach The 7-Summits is far beyond my skills. The mentioned mountains are all, in Alpine terms, ‘walking’ mountains. On snow and ice you walk on rope with crampons. But no rope-climbing-technics. Just to mention a little list with mountains people probably known.
Regards,Peter
"Far beyond my skills"? For anybody who consider Mont Blanc a "walking mountain" at least 6 of 7 shouldn't pose a challenge and Everest shouldn't be insurmountable (from a technical point of view)

"Far beyond my skills"? For anybody who consider Mont Blanc a "walking mountain" at least 6 of 7 shouldn't pose a challenge and Everest shouldn't be insurmountable (from a technical point of view)
A nice reply, Poul.
On Everest it is nowadays madness. Have you seen the pictures from last year, hundreds standing stuck in a traffic jam?
And the France Mountain police is controlling the MB, because there where people walking on sneakers ..... no campons ...... no ropes .... :mad:
But all this has nothing to do with shipbuilding.
Sorry it became a major issue ;)
Regards, Peter

From an old Navy Man;

I couldn' stop laughing at your explaination as to why the ship is a she. A great and fitting description. What would we do without them (ladies), though?

I made the choice to put the parts of the (middle) keel together in a slightly different order.

First I merged #8/#9 with #14. In addition, I clamped them against the metal ruler as to get a completely flat keel at this side.
017 Kiel4.jpg
Put right on the mirror, standing free on the perfectly edged parts:
018 Kiel5.jpg

Then in order:
#10 glued in, with a dry-fit of #11 and #12, fixated to avoid deflection up or down;
019 Kiel6.jpg
after drying: #11 glued in, with a dry-fit of #12 and #13, fixated..... etc;
and: #12 glued in, with a dry-fit of #13, fixated..... etc;
and: #13 glued in, with a dry-fit of #15, fixated..... etc;
and: #15 glued and fixed.
020 Kiel7.jpg

Then rubbed with the fine polishing block with this result:
021 Kiel8.jpg
022 Kiel9.jpg
A photo of wood on wood ;), I have to search for another underlayment.
Ready to fit the two out-side layers.
Regards, Peter

I made the choice to put the parts of the (middle) keel together in a slightly different order.

First I merged #8/#9 with #14. In addition, I clamped them against the metal ruler as to get a completely flat keel at this side.
View attachment 201391
Put right on the mirror, standing free on the perfectly edged parts:
View attachment 201392

Then in order:
#10 glued in, with a dry-fit of #11 and #12, fixated to avoid deflection up or down;
View attachment 201393
after drying: #11 glued in, with a dry-fit of #12 and #13, fixated..... etc;
and: #12 glued in, with a dry-fit of #13, fixated..... etc;
and: #13 glued in, with a dry-fit of #15, fixated..... etc;
and: #15 glued and fixed.
View attachment 201394

Then rubbed with the fine polishing block with this result:
View attachment 201395
View attachment 201396
A photo of wood on wood ;), I have to search for another underlayment.
Ready to fit the two out-side layers.
Regards, Peter
You are following a very good path by using dry fit as templates securing the part to be glued in a logical sequence. The sanding blocks are better than my use of fine sand paper rubber cemented to a hardwood backer block. Excellent work as you progress. Rich (PT-2)

Back