YUANQING BLUENOSE - Peter Voogt [COMPLETED BUILD]

If they fall off the ladder, at least they will land on the table! :p
Looks great Peter! I like it!
Then the person with first aid knowledge can immediately use it as a treatment table. And don't bump your head against the mast. Sick
I read that Capt. Walters had a brass bead so that will give you some extra soldering practice if you can get him out of his cabin to avoid the flux and catch a solder flow ;) Rich
I was playing in a BrassBand, but brass soldering is not my best point of building. ;)
From the Royal Danish Naval Museum…
View attachment 259064

I’m afraid you better get your saw back out… :p
:oops::oops::oops: Don't challenge me, Dean......ROTF

Thanxs for all the reply’s and likes!
Regards, Peter

Dean, we have learned by watching that you have a propensity of bringing new things out as you progress . . . so we will wait and see. :cool: Rich
LOL... I assure you that I intend to build the ship with full masts, yards and rigging... and possibly sails. That is a neat presentation however, to show the inner workings of a ship. Maybe one day, but not today! :p
So let's enjoy Peter's build and watch his presentation unfold! ;)

LOL... I assure you that I intend to build the ship with full masts, yards and rigging... and possibly sails. That is a neat presentation however, to show the inner workings of a ship. Maybe one day, but not today! :p
So let's enjoy Peter's build and watch his presentation unfold! ;)
It should be a great opportunity. . .luckily that tickets for reserved and limited seating are not needed. :D Rich

Sick Don't make it even more difficult for Johan @RDN1954 now! He has to wait til then, until his Admiral finally removes the BN from the linen closet.
Oeps ....... don’t tell Johan is laying there.
Regards, Peter
What I've got helping me just a little bit is that I'll have to start preparing for a Christmas service from the second week of December onward, so that will prevent me tearing open the box beforehand... I hope.
Second thing is that I'm cancelling all appointments we have beyond Christmas day... ;)

The yard has started up again after a holiday in Limburg in the south of the Netherlands. In a old house near the Leumolen. A water wheel mill with drive for grinding grain and making linseed oil.
Molen-1.jpg
With a beautiful interior of wheels, gears and shafts. A challenge for a model builder. The 1st mention dates are from the 13th century. The stone construction is from the 18th century.
The own linseed oil was also used for the preservation of the wooden water wheel.
However ........ the beaver apparently likes that:
Molen-2.jpg
The picture is from the web-side of the mill: "De Leumolen" <-Click
A few years ago I also treated my garden furniture with linseed oil. Our dog was then licking it off. Animals like it!
I also put my BN in the linseed oil. So should I watch out for beaver eats? :oops:

Continue with the BN.
After setting up the interior of the ForeCastle I could now close the deck above it with the deck beams 13 to 17:
360 13-17.jpg

After making the 4 connections to size, glue everything together.
361 13-17.jpg
The double knees are fitted on either side of the 2 recesses. Because I'm pretty sure that I keep the construction connections visible by not installing decking there.
What different light can do with the woodwork ..........

With a inside look:
362 01-17.jpg

And from above:
363 01-17.jpg
You can see the pipe from the stove between the beams.

Regards, Peter

Last edited:
Dear Peter. It is wonderful to see you back at the grindstone. I read on the Dutch site that you struggled with your health. I am glad to see you are building again and assume that things are going better. The pictures from the Molen are simply beautiful - I can only imagine what it smells like inside - it must be pure heaven.

I am just as happy to see you back at the Bluenose bench. The picture below is breathtaking and a favorite of mine.

362 01-17.jpg

Now please don't shoot me ... the double knees on the picture below, still do not have me convinced. To me they are simply too small to reflect detail, yet big enough to "clutter" your otherwise clean and precise joinery. Anyway my friend, that is just how I look at it and does not detract one iota from what is one heck of a build!

363 01-17.jpg

The yard has started up again after a holiday in Limburg in the south of the Netherlands. In a old house near the Leumolen. A water wheel mill with drive for grinding grain and making linseed oil.
View attachment 262744
With a beautiful interior of wheels, gears and shafts. A challenge for a model builder. The 1st mention dates are from the 13th century. The stone construction is from the 18th century.
The own linseed oil was also used for the preservation of the wooden water wheel.
However ........ the beaver apparently likes that:
View attachment 262745
The picture is from the web-side of the mill: "De Leumolen" <-Click
A few years ago I also treated my garden furniture with linseed oil. Our dog was then licking it off. Animals like it!
I also put my BN in the linseed oil. So should I watch out for beaver eats? :oops:

Continue with the BN.
After setting up the interior of the ForeCastle I could now close the deck above it with the deck beams 13 to 17:
View attachment 262746

After making the 4 connections to size, glue everything together.
View attachment 262753
The double knees are fitted on either side of the 2 recesses. Because I'm pretty sure that I keep the construction connections visible by not installing decking there.
What different light can do with the woodwork ..........

With a inside look:
View attachment 262754

And from above:
View attachment 262755
You can see the pipe from the stove between the beams.

Regards, Peter
This looks great Peter! ;) Glad to see some progress on the BN!

Now please don't shoot me ... the double knees on the picture below, still do not have me convinced. To me they are simply too small ........
Haha Heinrich ......
Most people I kill for money ....... but you my friend ..... I kill you for nothing!
But no no no ....... I don't shoot the messenger! (Oeps ... this quote is also used by a certain Dutch general ...... I will not go into further.)
Everyone is free to react and give their opinion. I will explain my choice for the size of the double knees.

Here I have merged the photo from the last post with the corresponding part from the drawing by L.B. Jenson from the Saga.
367 13-17.jpg
In his drawing you can also see that Jenson is not consistent with its size.
Besides the mast, Jenson's have a slightly thicker shoulder, but I still have to come up with something for that area. Because that YQ hole is much bigger.
As previously noted, the deck beams have been made thicker by YQ. I've considered making it thinner, but decided not to do.
The stairwell is narrower and longer.
But yes ...... Jenson has also no old reference drawings. So, Al-Fi says .......
Therefore, partly on the basis of the total picture for The Saga:
368 MainDeck.jpg
Chosen for this size.
Regards, Peter

Back