ZHL Black Pearl 2020 Golden Edition [COMPLETED BUILD]

Thanks for all the likes and encouraging remarks. I'm beginning to see the light at the end of the tunnel and will need to start planning my next build.
Yesterday I started putting sails on the main mast, this time I started with the lower one first, it's much easier. When it came to belaying the lines I found an error with the instructions.

IMG_20210929_100359~3.jpg
I followed the instructions adding the pin rails as shown.

IMG_20210929_100325~2.jpg
Working from the rigging plan there's two extra pin rails required.

IMG_20210929_100825.jpg
With the stairs and the cannon there's not enough room for the pin rail and the ropes.

IMG_20210929_104420.jpg
I've added a pin rail between the stairs, I would like to have put it closer to the mast but I had to leave room for the capstan.

IMG_20210929_101219.jpg
I needed to drill two holes in the deck for the pin rails, the dust was cleaned up using sellotape held with tweezers.

Thanks for all the likes and encouraging remarks. I'm beginning to see the light at the end of the tunnel and will need to start planning my next build.
Yesterday I started putting sails on the main mast, this time I started with the lower one first, it's much easier. When it came to belaying the lines I found an error with the instructions.

View attachment 258735
I followed the instructions adding the pin rails as shown.

View attachment 258736
Working from the rigging plan there's two extra pin rails required.

View attachment 258738
With the stairs and the cannon there's not enough room for the pin rail and the ropes.

View attachment 258737
I've added a pin rail between the stairs, I would like to have put it closer to the mast but I had to leave room for the capstan.

View attachment 258739
I needed to drill two holes in the deck for the pin rails, the dust was cleaned up using sellotape held with tweezers.
Nice job Tony. I thought long and hard about adding another fife rail for the main mast. I went a little different way in order to keep the "stage" clear for the actors in the films. I assume that is why the capstan is around the mast in the first place. I added some cleats to the masts to take a few of the lines. IMG_6547.jpg

Nice job Tony. I thought long and hard about adding another fife rail for the main mast. I went a little different way in order to keep the "stage" clear for the actors in the films. I assume that is why the capstan is around the mast in the first place. I added some cleats to the masts to take a few of the lines. View attachment 259027
I considered something similar but a new rack was the best option. It would have taken to long to get the parts as we are still in lockdown and the post service lives up to it's name snail mail.

Here's a quick update progress to date. The sails are on the main mast now and I've started belaying the ropes on the foremast.IMG_20211002_150436.jpg

IMG_20211002_150532.jpg

IMG_20211002_150635.jpg

I'm finding this a lot more difficult than I thought it would be. The rope doesn't move freely in the blocks and is very awkward to get round the belaying pins. This makes getting the right tension a bit hit and miss. Tightening one rope can loosen another one or cause a spar to move. It's also easy to catch a line while adjusting another, requiring the line to be reset. Half the battle is working out the best order to tie the lines off, I'm getting there slowly and learning a lot.

Tony, you model looks great !!!!

When the time comes, I will built mine as yours. Your building log will be incredibly helpful.

But for sure I will not add full masts and sails. I never liked that part of the hobby.

Well Done !!!!
Daniel

Tony, you model looks great !!!!

When the time comes, I will built mine as yours. Your building log will be incredibly helpful.

But for sure I will not add full masts and sails. I never liked that part of the hobby.

Well Done !!!!
Daniel
Hi Daniel thank you for encouraging comments. I look forward to seeing your log when you start, judging by the other kits you've built it will be excellent. I was very unsure about my ability to do the rigging, my plan B was to make mine with cut down masts and no rigging. I'm finding the rigging is difficult very time consuming and a very steep learning curve but I'm enjoying it much more than I thought I would.

Tony, I have to say that the sails look marvelous. Just the right amount of visual interest. Bravo!
Tony she's really looking fine. Your rope and sail work are superb!
Thanks for the compliments making the trail sails first was a big help, I learnt a lot. When I started with the rigging I felt like I had two fingers and eight thumbs, now I have a few more fingers.

Tony, I’m finally catching up to your work again! WOW! Great job….all those lines and rope everywhere…..yet you just keep moving on….very impressive indeed!

Tony, I’m finally catching up to your work again! WOW! Great job….all those lines and rope everywhere…..yet you just keep moving on….very impressive indeed!
Thanks for the kind words, you'll be following in my footsteps soon. The rigging looks harder than it is, I just wish it was planning and the instructions were better.

A big milestone was achieved today all the sails are now installed.

IMG_20211015_171700~2.jpg

IMG_20211015_172331~2.jpg
IMG_20211015_171822~2.jpg
Firstly the front half of the ship is nearly finished, I spent most of the time tying up loose ends and adding rope coils

IMG_20211015_172116~2.jpg
IMG_20211015_172241~2.jpg
Too many lines and nowhere to tie them so I added two more pin rails. I've powered up the lights for the photos just to check they're still working.

IMG_20211015_172549~3.jpg
IMG_20211015_171905.jpg

Last edited:
Tony H terence here great job on the sails cannot wait to see your finished rigging and model finally my black pearl not as the plan will try to do better with my victory which I am about to start .thanks for all your help with the pearl and my nex tbuild will be a build thread happy building terence

Attachments

• bp1.jpg
    bp1.jpg
    361.3 KB · Views: 15
  • bp2.jpg
    bp2.jpg
    310.6 KB · Views: 15
  • bp3.jpg
    bp3.jpg
    300.3 KB · Views: 15
Tony H terence here great job on the sails cannot wait to see your finished rigging and model finally my black pearl not as the plan will try to do better with my victory which I am about to start .thanks for all your help with the pearl and my nex tbuild will be a build thread happy building terence
Congratulations on completing your Black Pearl, mine should be finished some time this week but I will still need to make a base and maybe a case. Looking forward to seeing your Victory log that's a ship I would like to build one day.

Beautiful work Tony. Your BP looks beautiful! You can be a very proud father!

Back