ZHL Black Pearl 2020 Golden Edition [COMPLETED BUILD]

Just a quick update.
IMG_20211021_112612~2.jpg
Although it doesn't look that special it's the last rope I tied off marking the end of the rigging process.

IMG_20211012_162512~2.jpg IMG_20211021_113018~2.jpg
The cannon ball ball racks where fabricated from leftover Walnut. I glued them around a plastic triangle, when the glue set the plastic is removed. 2.5mm ball bearings painted black are used for the cannon balls.

IMG_20211021_112321.jpg
This is how I make my coils, I use two plastic discs and an old paint brush. The rope is lightly soaked in watered down PVA one end is placed through the hole in the first disc. The paint brush handle is placed in the hole locking the rope on the disc, add the second disc on top of the rope turn the handle and make the coil.

Great looking build Tony. The ship is truly something you can be very proud of. Can't wait to see your next project.

Yesterday officially marked the end of the building process, the anchors where the last parts to do. I was going to tie them up but they tended to disappear and didn't look right so I left them hanging.
IMG_20211023_125805.jpg

IMG_20211023_125652~2.jpg

IMG_20211023_125936.jpg
So that's it all done, now the hard part time to put everything away and tidy up the shipyard/mancave. The Pearl will be moved for the first time in months, I still need to make a proper base for it to sit on and maybe a case. While rigging I found it really helpful to have the ship on a turntable and be able to raise/lower it.
Once I've had a bit of a tidy up I'll post some photos now it's finished.

A big milestone was achieved today all the sails are now installed.

View attachment 262641

View attachment 262642
View attachment 262643
Firstly the front half of the ship is nearly finished, I spent most of the time tying up loose ends and adding rope coils

View attachment 262645
View attachment 262646
Too many lines and nowhere to tie them so I added two more pin rails. I've powered up the lights for the photos just to check they're still working.

View attachment 262647
View attachment 262648
What a beautiful ship Tony! You can be a proud Captain! Your attention to detail and the way you logically approach things with your creative thinking can be an inspiration to all of us. I’m slowing it down for a bit as I’m at the point that I’m finishing up the gun port doors and getting ready to move on to the deadyes and the first stages of rigging! Just got two new ebikes for the Admiral and me to enjoy the fall weather some….it’ll slow me down some but I can use a break before I take in the winter task if all that you accomplished with the sails and rigging!
Ahoh!

Great looking build Tony. The ship is truly something you can be very proud of. Can't wait to see your next project.
Congratulations Tony. A beautiful result! I appreciated all along your very clean and precise approach - it paid off with a wonderful ship model.
What a beautiful ship Tony! You can be a proud Captain! Your attention to detail and the way you logically approach things with your creative thinking can be an inspiration to all of us. I’m slowing it down for a bit as I’m at the point that I’m finishing up the gun port doors and getting ready to move on to the deadyes and the first stages of rigging! Just got two new ebikes for the Admiral and me to enjoy the fall weather some….it’ll slow me down some but I can use a break before I take in the winter task if all that you accomplished with the sails and rigging!
Ahoh!

Thanks for the feedback, I've been feeling a lost with nothing left to do on the Pearl. I haven't decided on my next build but will start something next month.

I've been having a bit of a tidy up in the shipyard and have taken some photos to finish off this log. I had a few issues trying to remember how to use a real camera, up to now I've just been using my phone which is so much easier.

DSC_2070.JPG
DSC_2064.JPG
DSC_2058.JPG
DSC_2057.JPG
DSC_2041.JPG

DSC_2053.JPG
DSC_2028~2.JPG
DSC_2008.JPG
DSC_1998.JPG
DSC_2027.JPG
DSC_2021.JPG
DSC_2039.JPG
So this is the result of my attempt to learn and improve my shipbuilding abilities. It has taken just over a year to do and if I was to do it again I would do some things differently, the problem is without experience you only know it could be done better after the parts are fitted and finished. Overall I'm pretty happy with this kit the quality of the wood was good, the parts fitted together well and it was quite good value for money except for the postage which was 25% of the price. On the downside the instructions start off OK then get progressively worse the rigging plan is hopeless. The blocks are badly formed and out of scale. The bow of the golden edition is very different to the other versions (which are correct) the problem with this is it makes planking the bow a lot harder.

Love it Tony! Brilliant job. I can't imagine how a first build could turn out any nicer. I'm sure you'll get plenty of compliments and they will all be well-deserved. Thanks for sharing your work with us on the forum.

Also from my side my CONGRATULATIONS for finishing her - looking very good !!!

Love it Tony! Brilliant job. I can't imagine how a first build could turn out any nicer. I'm sure you'll get plenty of compliments and they will all be well-deserved. Thanks for sharing your work with us on the forum.
Thanks for your kind words. My first ship was completed nearly thirty years ago, I started another but that got sidelined when I moved house 25 years ago. Thanks to Covid I had the time to start up again. As for excellent first builds your Vasa wins hands down.

Thanks a lot it's very encouraging the hard part now is deciding what to make next
Tony again I am in awe! You’re right, Paul’s Vasa is incomparable, but your Pearl ranks a close second. I will be working through the winter and will target April 1, 2020…for my Pearl finish date! (That would be the 1-year mark for me on my first build ever)

A beautiful build, it looks fantastic so well done on a fine model.
Now I want to have lights on my next ship build.

Back