ZHL Le Soleil Royal

I have been doing the second planking on the starboard side of the ship. A slow process for me only doing one or two planks at a time. I have also made a mold for a few decorations that go on the aft part of the ship. Here’s some pictures of the process. I still need to clean up the sprue on the resin pieces but just for these few I am cutting down almost 6 ounces of weight. 7375F90D-D12E-4D44-9C8E-46F2DC25E09C.jpeg0DA149F8-51FC-44B9-BA02-24BE9D3847FF.jpegC7C48DA3-5F0C-4EB1-B2CB-C95E3659F61B.jpeg

09C6E6CE-1ACC-4B2A-892E-CC90350C3366.jpegEB314C23-F57D-4E95-8F71-F7658FE00AC7.jpeg

I have been doing the second planking on the starboard side of the ship. A slow process for me only doing one or two planks at a time. I have also made a mold for a few decorations that go on the aft part of the ship. Here’s some pictures of the process. I still need to clean up the sprue on the resin pieces but just for these few I am cutting down almost 6 ounces of weight. View attachment 316542View attachment 316543View attachment 316545

View attachment 316547View attachment 316548
Good evening Jay. If there where an applauding emoji I would send you a whole pile..Cheers Grant

I have been doing the second planking on the starboard side of the ship. A slow process for me only doing one or two planks at a time. I have also made a mold for a few decorations that go on the aft part of the ship. Here’s some pictures of the process. I still need to clean up the sprue on the resin pieces but just for these few I am cutting down almost 6 ounces of weight. View attachment 316542View attachment 316543View attachment 316545

View attachment 316547View attachment 316548
Hi Jay
Looking really nice and indeed much lighter

I finished the lower portion starboard side with the sapele planking. I did the lower wale first and then the planking. I was a bit worried with the wales being thicker and wider that bending them to the shape of the hull would be a problem but they conformed quite easily. After I put the lower wale on I did the lighter planking above it and then I did the other wale. I did Kona Brown on the sapele, it’s a bit dark but it reminds me of when I visited the Vasa and the hull was a similar color. The first picture I took is a bit dark so I used the edit thing on the iPad to lighten it up. Now I will start on the port side.

C66B38E5-8763-4F02-845D-6341FCF14C0F.jpegC10D6346-3382-4F31-B7BD-61AB2F26B48D.jpeg

I finished the lower portion starboard side with the sapele planking. I did the lower wale first and then the planking. I was a bit worried with the wales being thicker and wider that bending them to the shape of the hull would be a problem but they conformed quite easily. After I put the lower wale on I did the lighter planking above it and then I did the other wale. I did Kona Brown on the sapele, it’s a bit dark but it reminds me of when I visited the Vasa and the hull was a similar color. The first picture I took is a bit dark so I used the edit thing on the iPad to lighten it up. Now I will start on the port side.

View attachment 316774View attachment 316775
it's looks beautiful

it's looks beautiful
Thanks shota70. Everyone that’s building or has built the Soleil Royal has done such a bang up job on theirs that it will be an uphill battle to follow in their footsteps.

View attachment 316774View attachment 316775
Hi Jay
Nice job on the 2nd planking

Just an update, I’m still alive. Whoopee. Must admit I’ve had several seizures and it has been taking longer to recover from them than when I was younger. So I’ve been doing a little here and there. Cast a few decorations and as expected the resin pieces weigh less than the metal ones.

3D69BD82-6B6B-44FB-A7B4-302CF4712A0A.jpegDE1605D6-5425-4556-A041-7BEA9DC7152C.jpegB7740BAE-0385-4E94-A112-2AE23B081A06.jpeg7DA86CDA-DEC7-4397-8603-B73CEF781734.jpegBABDC8B5-D031-4A83-A579-1361FB0D836C.jpeg

Can’t wait to see the difference in the large pieces. Should be significant.

I also started doing the second planking on the port side of the ship.

8D1E8153-EE38-46BA-A1F4-357111756748.jpeg

I haven’t finished yet but there’s sure a lot of it to do. Both sides of the birch planking are very shiny so I sanded the sides I was gluing so that it might adhere a bit better. Don’t know if it really makes a difference. When you can’t control your muscles and you shake like Elvis on the Ed Sullivan show the planking is a real challenge. Here’s my progress so far. It really looks quite crappy.

00841D03-DA82-4788-9425-C1DD10AFA7EF.jpeg

Even I couldn’t stand the way it looks so it was time for a bit of sanding and I think it looks much better now.

837BF053-4189-44BD-B0BB-AA6195340FE2.jpeg

I love attending car shows and at the top of my bucket list is Cruzin the Coast which is a week long event along the Mississippi Gulf Coast. Over 9 thousand cars have pre registered and they expect close to 10 thousand to be there. So the Soleil Royal will be in dry dock until I get back.

Good to see you back at it. Enjoy your cruise of the coast.

Thanks Jeff, we were lucky hurricane Ian didn’t effect Mississippi at all and the weather is supposed to be good.

Just an update, I’m still alive. Whoopee. Must admit I’ve had several seizures and it has been taking longer to recover from them than when I was younger. So I’ve been doing a little here and there. Cast a few decorations and as expected the resin pieces weigh less than the metal ones.

View attachment 331259View attachment 331260View attachment 331261View attachment 331262View attachment 331263

View attachment 331264

I haven’t finished yet but there’s sure a lot of it to do. Both sides of the birch planking are very shiny so I sanded the sides I was gluing so that it might adhere a bit better. Don’t know if it really makes a difference. When you can’t control your muscles and you shake like Elvis on the Ed Sullivan show the planking is a real challenge. Here’s my progress so far. It really looks quite crappy.

View attachment 331266

Even I couldn’t stand the way it looks so it was time for a bit of sanding and I think it looks much better now.

View attachment 331267

I love attending car shows and at the top of my bucket list is Cruzin the Coast which is a week long event along the Mississippi Gulf Coast. Over 9 thousand cars have pre registered and they expect close to 10 thousand to be there. So the Soleil Royal will be in dry dock until I get back.
looks really nice Jay
Keep it up

looks really nice Jay
Keep it up
Thanks Gilbert, I have to get away for a week so I’m taking a road trip through the south. I feel like I’ve been in prison for the last two years and it’s nice to get out and do fun things.

View attachment 331259View attachment 331260View attachment 331261View attachment 331262View attachment 331263

View attachment 331264

View attachment 331266

View attachment 331267

Good morning Jay. Looking very good indeed. Man you guys in the States go big - 10000 cars in a show is incredible. Enjoy. Cheers Grant

View attachment 331264

View attachment 331266

View attachment 331267

Jay Glad to see you back on the site You mentioned classic car shows I am from reno Nevada, and we Have Hot August nights, went every year, Great time many cars, I have a High School Buddy who restores Classic cars, He has a restored 61 Chev 2 door hardtop with a Z06 Corvette motor and a 64 Malibu SS covetable completely stock nice stuff so we have something to cruise in!! Next year my wife and I will be in reno during the event, its been a few years now that I live in the Philippines, so i am looking forward to it!!! Don't get me started I love Classic cars

Back