ZHL Le Soleil Royal

Welp, those 4 pesky decorations below the condominiums on the aft of the ship were bugging me so I took a piece of wood and carved out a smaller and better fitting piece. It fits nicely now.

B627AD44-AEB7-4F43-B589-C76A2170F604.jpeg

I made a mold and cast a couple pieces in resin. 2 more to go. Here’s the original bodacious piece along with the wood one and two resin pieces one still in the white needing a few final going overs and the finished one painted gold.

A74397F4-6444-46C3-A742-162371894A53.jpeg

I also cut out the gun ports on the aft of the ship.

51073A78-F0F3-4B7E-9DD3-2551A5556979.jpeg

I am now putting in the gun port frames. I have 3 done so far and only a skid zillion more to do. By the time I get those done the George Jetson future will be a reality.

C44E5C7F-8FC9-4634-83B1-13C95FE75F2B.jpeg

Welp, those 4 pesky decorations below the condominiums on the aft of the ship were bugging me so I took a piece of wood and carved out a smaller and better fitting piece. It fits nicely now.

View attachment 302754

I made a mold and cast a couple pieces in resin. 2 more to go. Here’s the original bodacious piece along with the wood one and two resin pieces one still in the white needing a few final going overs and the finished one painted gold.

View attachment 302755

View attachment 302756

I am now putting in the gun port frames. I have 3 done so far and only a skid zillion more to do. By the time I get those done the George Jetson future will be a reality.

View attachment 302757
Good morning Jay. Classic- ROTF.Worth building into the George Jestson future considering how much better your carving and moldings have come out. Really great work. Cheers Grant

View attachment 302754

View attachment 302755

View attachment 302756

View attachment 302757
Hi Jay
Great work on those decorations.

I installed all the gun port frames way sooner than I expected. Only broke a few but there were extras. Because of my disease trying to recess the frames was a comedy of errors having several ending at the bottom of the hull. I was able to retrieve them though. Not wanting to spend my golden years repeating this I relented and just made them flush. Just have the 2 gun port frames fore and 4 gun port frames aft to do while putting on the final planking next.

31A4F441-414A-42D9-B2C5-F006FC9383F6.jpeg

I installed all the gun port frames way sooner than I expected. Only broke a few but there were extras. Because of my disease trying to recess the frames was a comedy of errors having several ending at the bottom of the hull. I was able to retrieve them though. Not wanting to spend my golden years repeating this I relented and just made them flush. Just have the 2 gun port frames fore and 4 gun port frames aft to do while putting on the final planking next.

View attachment 304188
Making some progress again! This beast is taking much longer than the BP or Connie did.

I am painting the inside bulwarks red using the same planking that I used for the first layer of planking. I’ve seen other ships that use the red for whatever reason, maybe for the same reason barns in the states were painted red.

55849B18-AF48-44D7-BC03-D0C2E2311CA0.jpeg

I also put the gun port frames in for the aft cannons so I will be doing the final planking at this location.

369A4D10-1472-4B37-ABBC-B3158A07FAB5.jpeg

I thought I would show you the difference in weight for the four support decorations the first being the metal ones and then the four resin ones that I cast. Quite a difference.

0DAABBAC-FC73-4110-8A7A-FAB6E9764D57.jpeg

D63BADBA-257D-4FA9-A2CB-CD3115162D38.jpeg

I am painting the inside bulwarks red using the same planking that I used for the first layer of planking. I’ve seen other ships that use the red for whatever reason, maybe for the same reason barns in the states were painted red.

View attachment 307645

I also put the gun port frames in for the aft cannons so I will be doing the final planking at this location.

View attachment 307646

I thought I would show you the difference in weight for the four support decorations the first being the metal ones and then the four resin ones that I cast. Quite a difference.

View attachment 307648

View attachment 307650
Impressive

View attachment 307645

View attachment 307646

View attachment 307648

View attachment 307650
They will be easier to fasten on to the ship than the metal ones. I’m still trying to figure out how to hold them there until the epoxy firms up. Glue won’t do.

They will be easier to fasten on to the ship than the metal ones. I’m still trying to figure out how to hold them there until the epoxy firms up. Glue won’t do.
Vic, yeah that sucks. Get a long ace bandage and wrap it around the ship that’s what I use to keep my knees in place.

Back