ZHL Le Soleil Royal

Got the starboard side middle balcony floor attached and made sure it was level. Ready for planking now.

IMG_1794.jpeg

Planked the floor and noticed the big space between the lower and second level so I weighed the cornucopia windows. Both weighed in at 1.6 ounces.

IMG_1789.jpeg

My idea was to put them where that space was. It just seemed to me that it needed windows.
I made a mold and cast the resin pieces. They weighed 0.2 ounces.

IMG_1795.jpeg
IMG_1796.jpeg

Painted and attached them, I will do the same on the port side later.

IMG_1798.jpeg

Got the starboard side middle balcony floor attached and made sure it was level. Ready for planking now.

View attachment 397294

Planked the floor and noticed the big space between the lower and second level so I weighed the cornucopia windows. Both weighed in at 1.6 ounces.

View attachment 397295

My idea was to put them where that space was. It just seemed to me that it needed windows.

View attachment 397296
View attachment 397297

View attachment 397298
According to the directions, those windows go on the humps above the galleries. There are some square windows that go under channels and I think they’re two extras that some have placed between the bottom two galleries.

Hey Vic, yes the cornucopias go on the bells. I will have to check out the square windows you mentioned and maybe put the extra ones on the sides of the middle deck.

View attachment 397294

View attachment 397295

View attachment 397296
View attachment 397297

View attachment 397298
Beautiful

View attachment 397294

View attachment 397295

View attachment 397296
View attachment 397297

View attachment 397298
Maybe this model hepls you with location of decors. You could also thin down a little bit columns between balcony levels, because original metal casts look enormous

Maybe this model hepls you with location of decors. You could also thin down a little bit columns between balcony levels, because original metal casts look enormous
Thanks for the link. In my opinion this kit is a crude representation of what the real ship must have been like. Also the dimensions of a lot of the parts and decor were fabricated after someone had been on a really bad LSD trip. But it has been fun for me to try and figure everything out.

Isn't the kit in two boxes? I am thinking it must have some merit if they have to put all the stuff in more than one box? or am I wrong?

It's just poor replication of Deagostini/Sergal kits. Tho they are still far from original, but much pleasant.
View attachment 397427

Splendid work! I love how the entire model appear a bit aged, as if it were built 100 years ago. It lends an antique quality to the model. Thumbsup :D

Splendid work! I love how the entire model appear a bit aged, as if it were built 100 years ago. It lends an antique quality to the model. Thumbsup :D
I like it too. So far it's my favorite SR model made from kit. To get that effect he had to has his own wood or put the first layer of plaknking in perfect alining, because degostini gives a very dark walnut for second layer.

One thing that ZHL did good(at least better)- the support figure under cat head.

Deagostini
IMG_20220616_161134-1024x1024.jpg

ZHL
IMG_1953.jpeg

View attachment 397294

View attachment 397295

View attachment 397296
View attachment 397297

View attachment 397298
According to the directions, those windows go on the humps above the galleries. There are some square windows that go under channels and I think they’re two extras that some have placed between the bottom two galleries.
I like it too. So far it's my favorite SR model made from kit. To get that effect he had to has his own wood or put the first layer of plaknking in perfect alining, because degostini gives a very dark walnut for second layer.

One thing that ZHL did good(at least better)- the support figure under cat head.

Deagostini
View attachment 397735

ZHL
View attachment 397734
Except it doesn’t appear to be supporting the cat in either case.

Except it doesn’t appear to be supporting the cat in either case.
I was talking only about quality of a part. Fitting it into the model is up to modeler and his skills

To get it right you need to make two extra pieces, change tha angle of cathead and fit the figure
dscn0160_189.jpg

Last edited:
Hey Vic, I looked at the parts list and it shows the four windows you are talking about but I didn’t get them. Unless they are in the parts tray. I will have to check it out. Do you remember if they were loose items?

IMG_1818.jpeg

IMG_1817.jpeg

Back