ZHL Le Soleil Royal

Hey Grant, thanks. One thing I am learning is I’m glad I am doing some of the metal decorations in resin. Much easier to get them fitted to the ship. Kudos to those that used them.

I attached the lower balcony floor on the starboard side. It is nice and level.

IMG_1773.jpeg

I was looking at the spaces for the aft windows and doors and thought I would check the decorations that go between them. Obviously the second deck decorations are too tall and would interfere with the top balcony floor. Time to make a mold of them and cast them in resin.

IMG_1774.jpeg

Hello,
I have a question about making resin parts. Would using a pressure pot help? I am thinking of making my own resin parts for this build, when I get to it, but was wondering if it is worth investing in a pressure pot. or maybe this would just be overkill...

Thanks

Hello,
I have a question about making resin parts. Would using a pressure pot help? I am thinking of making my own resin parts for this build, when I get to it, but was wondering if it is worth investing in a pressure pot. or maybe this would just be overkill...

Thanks
Hey Jack, good question. I don’t know how much you are going to pay for the pressure pot, maybe $175? Are you just using it for one build? The pressure pot is used to take the air bubbles out of the resin, in my case my resin starts setting up within 2 minutes, sometimes I don’t even get it poured out of the cup into the mold before it turns solid. You would need to use a really slow curing resin. Silicone for molds and resin aren’t cheap. Some of the decorations I still have to use the supplied metal parts (the cannons) for one, I won’t know what else till I try. One thing I can tell you is it will be a big investment.

Hey Jack, good question. I don’t know how much you are going to pay for the pressure pot, maybe $175? Are you just using it for one build? The pressure pot is used to take the air bubbles out of the resin, in my case my resin starts setting up within 2 minutes, sometimes I don’t even get it poured out of the cup into the mold before it turns solid. You would need to use a really slow curing resin. Silicone for molds and resin aren’t cheap. Some of the decorations I still have to use the supplied metal parts (the cannons) for one, I won’t know what else till I try. One thing I can tell you is it will be a big investment.
I haven't taken the fittings out of the box yet, but I was thinking of just focusing on the bigger pieces. The thing I am not sure about is getting the resin parts and the metal fittings to look alike on the model.

For me it is not so much about the cost and more about the fact that it is easier to glue resin pieces to the model than those heavy britania metal fittings. I would probably drill holes in the metal fittings and stick pins in them so that I can get a solid attachment to the hull. And it looks like fun too... But I can appreciate the cost involved because there are a lot of fittings.

Is the resin that you use paintable, or do you have to add a dye to your resin mix?

I haven't taken the fittings out of the box yet, but I was thinking of just focusing on the bigger pieces. The thing I am not sure about is getting the resin parts and the metal fittings to look alike on the model.

For me it is not so much about the cost and more about the fact that it is easier to glue resin pieces to the model than those heavy britania metal fittings. I would probably drill holes in the metal fittings and stick pins in them so that I can get a solid attachment to the hull. And it looks like fun too... But I can appreciate the cost involved because there are a lot of fittings.

Is the resin that you use paintable, or do you have to add a dye to your resin mix?

Hey Jack, yes the resin is totally paintable.

IMG_0002.jpeg

Time to weigh the decor that goes between the windows and doors on the aft balconies- 2.95 ounces, almost 3 ounces. IMG_1775.jpeg

I made a mold and cast the resin.
IMG_1776.jpeg

Here I weighed 4 of the pieces and they didn’t even register on the scale.
IMG_1777.jpeg

Here’s all twelve weighing in at just 2 tenths of an ounce.
IMG_1778.jpeg

Hi Jay
Impressive indeed. This is definitely a great approach
Thanks Gilbert, definitely shouldn’t be as heavy with the resin pieces. Can’t say I won’t be glad to finish this part of the build.

Put the doors and windows on the bottom deck of the balconies. I had thought there were only four columns (part #X16) but I think there were six and I think six on the second deck also so I will have to cast 4 more columns.
I also put planking down for the floor of the lower balcony starboard side.

IMG_1779.jpeg

Put the doors and windows on the bottom deck of the balconies. I had thought there were only four columns (part #X16) but I think there were six and I think six on the second deck also so I will have to cast 4 more columns.
I also put planking down for the floor of the lower balcony starboard side.

View attachment 395628
I like it that you went out of your way to keep the side and back decks level with each other. It will help you in the long run.

I like it that you went out of your way to keep the side and back decks level with each other. It will help you in the long run.
Thanks Vic, am trying my hardest to keep the build going in the right direction but still keeping an eye out for any forks in the road.

I don’t know if I am doing something wrong or if these parts are just weird so I’m just gonna fabricate them the way I think they should be on the balconies. IMG_1787.jpeg

Did the lower balcony wall my way and then attached the middle balcony floor and made sure it was level.
IMG_1790.jpeg

I don’t know if I am doing something wrong or if these parts are just weird so I’m just gonna fabricate them the way I think they should be on the balconies. View attachment 396281

Did the lower balcony wall my way and then attached the middle balcony floor and made sure it was level.
View attachment 396307
Little by little, inch by inch. By the yard it’s hard, by the inch it’s a cinch!

Back