ZHL Le Soleil Royal

It's looking good Jay. When I'm done planking the deck I'm going to add the assemblies made up of part numbers 58-65 and 69 as well--hope mine turns out nice like yours.
Thanks Andy, pretty soon you will be passing me up.

Looks good Jay...by the way, when you’re done with the “weights”, will that be the ammo for the cannons?
Thanks Bud-J, lol, that’s what the bird shot is for.

Nice progress always good to see your posts, one day I would like to build a first rate ship not sure which one but I'm not ready yet. I hope everything works out OK for you, you've got your priorities right.
Tony
Appreciate it Tony. We were bummed that we didn’t get to go to Australia and New Zealand for our 50th, doesn’t look like it’s in the cards for us. Thanks for the sentiment.

Appreciate it Tony. We were bummed that we didn’t get to go to Australia and New Zealand for our 50th, doesn’t look like it’s in the cards for us. Thanks for the sentiment.
Hi Jay--I have a question regarding the Le Soleil Royal. Does part number Y10--the Half Canons--seem small to you. I wonder if they put the wrong sized canon in the kit. It's small enough to where the "peg" on the rear end of it, that when fitted in the hole of the canon mount, it wobbles back and forth--the hole is larger than the peg. I just cannot help but wonder if the wrong sized cannon were put in the kit. Any direction you can give me will be greatly appreciated. Thank you so much, Andy from KLenosha.

Gilbert, probably a common problem. Seems like the manufacturer could make a few adjustments to make them fit better.
They should of put it in the instructions. "some horizontal, some vertical".!! I ended up (mistake) doing them horizontal. BIG MISTAKE.

They should of put it in the instructions. "some horizontal, some vertical".!! I ended up (mistake) doing them horizontal. BIG MISTAKE.
YES-->I glued them in according to their picture--horizontal--now I have to loosen some up with vinegar and re-glue them in vertically.

Hi Jay--I have a question regarding the Le Soleil Royal. Does part number Y10--the Half Canons--seem small to you. I wonder if they put the wrong sized canon in the kit. It's small enough to where the "peg" on the rear end of it, that when fitted in the hole of the canon mount, it wobbles back and forth--the hole is larger than the peg. I just cannot help but wonder if the wrong sized cannon were put in the kit. Any direction you can give me will be greatly appreciated. Thank you so much, Andy from KLenosha.
Hey Andy, indeed the half cannon will have a bit of a wobble but you will put glue on the tapered part and insert it till the flat part of the cannon butts up to the support. Plenty of cannon will be in front of the gun port. You may need to put a scrap piece of wood under the barrel to get the angle you want until the glue drys. Hope that helps.

Hey Andy, indeed the half cannon will have a bit of a wobble but you will put glue on the tapered part and insert it till the flat part of the cannon butts up to the support. Plenty of cannon will be in front of the gun port. You may need to put a scrap piece of wood under the barrel to get the angle you want until the glue drys. Hope that helps.
Yes it helps--thank you so much.

Reactions: Jay
Another reloader. Bless your heart, Jay! I picked up a 9 mm to supplement my .38. Your ship is coming along. I had to put mine on hold till I got three picture frames done for the Admiral.

Another reloader. Bless your heart, Jay! I picked up a 9 mm to supplement my .38. Your ship is coming along. I had to put mine on hold till I got three picture frames done for the Admiral.
Vic, yes I reload several calibers and do .36 thru .58 for muzzleloaders.
Get those picture frames done.

Vic, yes I reload several calibers and do .36 thru .58 for muzzleloaders.
Get those picture frames done.
I used to have a .58 flintlock. My cousin, Bubba, said I should stand beside it to see if I could see the mini ball as he fired it. I was picking flash powder out of the side of my face for two weeks. Never stand beside a flintlock while it’s being fired. Frames are done! Now she wants me to clean up my shipyard before taking on another project.

• Wow
I used to have a .58 flintlock. My cousin, Bubba, said I should stand beside it to see if I could see the mini ball as he fired it. I was picking flash powder out of the side of my face for two weeks. Never stand beside a flintlock while it’s being fired. Frames are done! Now she wants me to clean up my shipyard before taking on another project.
Better advice might be: never listen to Bubba!

• Haha
I wonder if others have had the same problem I am presently faced with while building the Le Soleil Royal. It's Maddening! It deals with the items
which make up part 69 (also referred to as item 68 elsewhere [?]): the three glued-together items in the shape of a 3-sided box, with a hole through the "top" piece for the mounting of the canons. These little assemblies get glued behind the port holes. Now for the problem-->It concerns the gluing of 4 of these little gems to the inside of part number 51, namely, the vertical 2mm piece glued onto the bow end which covers the upper half of frame 1. There are 4 square holes in it, behind which these little assemblies get glued. In order to "hope" this will work, one ,must glue them on vertically. The maddening problem is that I glued them over far enough to miss frame 1--but their bottoms collide with the bow ends of part numbers 25 and 25-1!! So I modified the 2 bottom assemblies by removing the bottom members and even sawed off some of the front faces just below the hole. It still will not fit--so now what? I have only 1 idea which seems promising. I'll remove these 2 modified bottom assemblies, rotate them 90 degrees (one cw, one ccw), and glue them between the square canon openings and the tall vertical openings next to them. For the life of me I can't figure out any other way to do it; this idea came to me as I was ranting to you just now about my problem. Whether or not it works, I'll get back to you and let you know. Ta-ta for now.

Andy from Kenosha

I wonder if others have had the same problem I am presently faced with while building the Le Soleil Royal. It's Maddening! It deals with the items
which make up part 69 (also referred to as item 68 elsewhere [?]): the three glued-together items in the shape of a 3-sided box, with a hole through the "top" piece for the mounting of the canons. These little assemblies get glued behind the port holes. Now for the problem-->It concerns the gluing of 4 of these little gems to the inside of part number 51, namely, the vertical 2mm piece glued onto the bow end which covers the upper half of frame 1. There are 4 square holes in it, behind which these little assemblies get glued. In order to "hope" this will work, one ,must glue them on vertically. The maddening problem is that I glued them over far enough to miss frame 1--but their bottoms collide with the bow ends of part numbers 25 and 25-1!! So I modified the 2 bottom assemblies by removing the bottom members and even sawed off some of the front faces just below the hole. It still will not fit--so now what? I have only 1 idea which seems promising. I'll remove these 2 modified bottom assemblies, rotate them 90 degrees (one cw, one ccw), and glue them between the square canon openings and the tall vertical openings next to them. For the life of me I can't figure out any other way to do it; this idea came to me as I was ranting to you just now about my problem. Whether or not it works, I'll get back to you and let you know. Ta-ta for now.

Andy from Kenosha
Hey, Andy.... I'm working on exactly the same. If I understand your description.... I took a burr bit in my dremel and actually cut into the bulk head frame to make room the the false cannon supports. There is plenty of support there.

Hey, Andy.... I'm working on exactly the same. If I understand your description.... I took a burr bit in my dremel and actually cut into the bulk head frame to make room the the false cannon supports. There is plenty of support there.
In reference to parts 25 and 25-1, I also cut into those. They will never be seen. I mounted all my false cannon pieces (the three sides boxes) horizontally. Which was a mistake. So, once again, I took my dremel and cut into the bulk head. I had to add a little frame work back, but it worked. Good luck

In reference to parts 25 and 25-1, I also cut into those. They will never be seen. I mounted all my false cannon pieces (the three sides boxes) horizontally. Which was a mistake. So, once again, I took my dremel and cut into the bulk head. I had to add a little frame work back, but it worked. Good luck
Andy, I'm only a few steps ahead of you. Working on the first planking (about 25% done) Any questions, just ask.

Thank you so much Ken--I wish I thought of that. The parts have already been modified. When the glue is dry I'll glue part #51 back on. If the parts still collide with #'s 25 & 25-1, then I'll impliment your way of doing it.

Oh Ken--just a tid-bit of info-->if ever you glue something together with white carpenter's glue (it has aliphatic resins--really good glue) and realize you should not have (for whatever reason), vinegar is your best friend. Get some paper towels or cotton balls wet with the vinegar and squeeze out some of the excess--but not all of it. Apply it to the joint and let it soak for a good long time, applying more vinegar if needed. From time to time try to carefully pull the parts apart. Eventually it will come all the way loose. The times I had to do this I would say it took between 20 to 30 minutes roughly to come loose.

Oh Ken--just a tid-bit of info-->if ever you glue something together with white carpenter's glue (it has aliphatic resins--really good glue) and realize you should not have (for whatever reason), vinegar is your best friend. Get some paper towels or cotton balls wet with the vinegar and squeeze out some of the excess--but not all of it. Apply it to the joint and let it soak for a good long time, applying more vinegar if needed. From time to time try to carefully pull the parts apart. Eventually it will come all the way loose. The times I had to do this I would say it took between 20 to 30 minutes roughly to come loose.
Never heard of vinegar..... I'll have to remember that one,,,, thanks

Back