ZHL Le Soleil Royal

Finally got a few minutes to come up and do a few things on the ship.
I have a question for Paulb, Gilbertm, Big Mike and whoever has worked on the Soleil Royal, there’s 4 gun ports at the rear of the ship, 2 on each side of the rudder, I have seen where some don’t have them or some have them but cannons not showing, are there enough cannons to install or should I cast some? There is absolutely nothing about this in the instructions or plans that I have. Thanks 1A17BAD9-8EA5-4312-B395-18E743EF424F.jpeg

Finally got a few minutes to come up and do a few things on the ship.
I have a question for Paulb, Gilbertm, Big Mike and whoever has worked on the Soleil Royal, there’s 4 gun ports at the rear of the ship, 2 on each side of the rudder, I have seen where some don’t have them or some have them but cannons not showing, are there enough cannons to install or should I cast some? There is absolutely nothing about this in the instructions or plans that I have. Thanks View attachment 264332
Hi Jay
Couple of points to your question:
- I did include gun ports there (2 on each side) but have decided to keep them closed
- Therefore I did not include cannons here. However, there are enough cannons in the kit should you wish to leave the ports open and onclude cannons.

Hope this helps

Hi Jay
Couple of points to your question:
- I did include gun ports there (2 on each side) but have decided to keep them closed
- Therefore I did not include cannons here. However, there are enough cannons in the kit should you wish to leave the ports open and onclude cannons.

Hope this helps

Thanks Gilbert, looks like I will have to do some creative planking to accommodate the cannons and gun port doors.

Thanks Gilbert, looks like I will have to do some creative planking to accommodate the cannons and gun port doors.
I was one gun short. If you use them, see if you can attach the brackets first before you close the ports off with planks. Not sure how you’ll do that.

Reactions: Jay
I was one gun short. If you use them, see if you can attach the brackets first before you close the ports off with planks. Not sure how you’ll do that.

Thanks Vic, I only get a couple planks a day on when I can work on the ship so it will be a while yet. I will let you know when I am to that point.

I put the frames and grids together for the windows and attached plastic film to the back of the grids.

BBEF6BA1-9ADB-429F-B95C-E901D50E9475.jpeg

In preparation for the windows and doors for the Menehunes I temporarily installed some wood strips to make the windows and doors level.

99BA9C34-2DBD-4019-862B-953FCC5F2F0E.jpeg

B3989858-DD05-489B-A1E9-38C4C3AECA39.jpeg

While waiting for the glue to dry I felt really ambitious and painted the carriages and wheels for the cannons.
73A12597-4178-420D-B2DD-B7EA35D5F02E.jpeg

I put a coat of polyurethane on all the decks and installed 3 cargo hatches to the deck. 02A44BED-0BCA-4048-A041-2572EA7638DE.jpeg

I added a couple pieces of wood to kind of finish off the Menehune doors and windows.

3ECF2CC4-89DA-40BE-A222-8B5BEFA52DA6.jpeg

I noticed the cannon supports at the rear of the ship were a bit small for the openings so I added some wood to them in order to glue them to the inside of the gun ports. 2F320B49-86D4-47DE-BE72-9FDD35BD04D9.jpeg3109836F-1F5C-4FAF-8601-C00128E496A4.jpeg

So I am continuing planking. I finished one side and used drywall mud instead of wood filler, like I did on my Black Pearl as it is easier to sand and provides a smoother finish in my opinion. EBFED417-54B5-4D26-B317-53E3DF84D61C.jpeg

I can’t believe how much slower it is to work on the SR than it was for the Connie or the BP! It’s like slomo. I don’t know if we’re getting older or just more particular. I was hoping to get’r done by February, but at this rate, I won’t even have the masts up. I bought my grandson a Fender guitar kit. We’re putting it together on weekends and holidays. That will take a bite out of my build time. But I want to have it finished before he goes off to college. CC4EA6C0-7DC7-45A3-AE3A-C77605BEBDB8.jpeg

I can’t believe how much slower it is to work on the SR than it was for the Connie or the BP! It’s like slomo. I don’t know if we’re getting older or just more particular. I was hoping to get’r done by February, but at this rate, I won’t even have the masts up. I bought my grandson a Fender guitar kit. We’re putting it together on weekends and holidays. That will take a bite out of my build time. But I want to have it finished before he goes off to college. View attachment 269828

Leo Fender went to the same high school as me. Used to go by his shop all the time.

I put a coat of polyurethane on all the decks and installed 3 cargo hatches to the deck. View attachment 269662

I added a couple pieces of wood to kind of finish off the Menehune doors and windows.

View attachment 269663

I noticed the cannon supports at the rear of the ship were a bit small for the openings so I added some wood to them in order to glue them to the inside of the gun ports. View attachment 269664View attachment 269665

So I am continuing planking. I finished one side and used drywall mud instead of wood filler, like I did on my Black Pearl as it is easier to sand and provides a smoother finish in my opinion. View attachment 269666
Hi Jay
Great to see you back working on the Soleil Royal

That will take a bite out of my build time. But I want to have it finished before he goes off to college.
The time spent with our grandkids - doesn't count towards a bite or two out of our build time. Such a time is an exclusive one, and giving us as a gift! Enjoy it at full! ;)

Back