ZHL Le Soleil Royal

No firsthand experience? It was a badge of honor at my school.:D
lol. no i just remember an incident where I walked by the principal's office one day and one of the regulars was in there with him. I swear I heard a "smack" sound followed by crying. I was more than ever convinced that he used his belt. To this day I have a fear of belts...

Last edited:
I decided to cast all or most of my metal parts in resin so yesterday afternoon I ordered the silicone for the molds and resin. Just received the order, blew my mind that I got it in less than 24 hours. The only down side was the dang packing peanuts they use, they stick to everything. DB8959E3-5524-48FA-A86F-E46266BA1D64.jpeg

I decided to cast all or most of my metal parts in resin so yesterday afternoon I ordered the silicone for the molds and resin. Just received the order, blew my mind that I got it in less than 24 hours. The only down side was the dang packing peanuts they use, they stick to everything. View attachment 270468
Do you think you'll lose anything in the translation as far as details?

Do you think you'll lose anything in the translation as far as details?

Vic, the cast is usually pretty true to the original. If any details are lost, using a Dremel can sharpen ridges or facial features or whatever. I anticipate adding more details to the figures because the metal ones seem to be a bit lacking.

I decided to cast all or most of my metal parts in resin so yesterday afternoon I ordered the silicone for the molds and resin. Just received the order, blew my mind that I got it in less than 24 hours. The only down side was the dang packing peanuts they use, they stick to everything. View attachment 270468

Hi Jay

I would like to learn how you do the casting. I hope isn't too much to ask if you can post pictures of your process and materials.

Thanks!!
Daniel

Hi Jay

I would like to learn how you do the casting. I hope isn't too much to ask if you can post pictures of your process and materials.

Thanks!!
Daniel
Hey Daniel, I think on page 10 of this build log I go through the process. It should be just what you're looking for. If you have any more questions after that let me know.

Hi Jay
Looking forward to seeing the results

I can’t believe how much slower it is to work on the SR than it was for the Connie or the BP! It’s like slomo. I don’t know if we’re getting older or just more particular. I was hoping to get’r done by February, but at this rate, I won’t even have the masts up. I bought my grandson a Fender guitar kit. We’re putting it together on weekends and holidays. That will take a bite out of my build time. But I want to have it finished before he goes off to college. View attachment 269828
Cool present- he must have been super happy. Planking looks awesome too.

Still working on the hull planking so I decided to take a break and do a mold of some of the decorations on the top gun port deck. I went ahead and put my clay down and made sure the sides were about a quarter inch above the decorations.E1662BE1-5C9D-4968-8B5F-6C4EA4C87581.jpeg

I poured the silicone and it had about an hour demold time. 5DE72031-474A-4A22-8389-C7D7EED89072.jpeg

While waiting for the mold to cure I decided to weigh the metal decorations. For eight of the ones that are on the sides of the gun ports the weight was 3.15 ounces and the eight metal decorations for the gun ports weighed 1.15 ounces. 2FA36830-2A19-4BF0-99BE-4E109929D18F.jpeg
3C6E0C41-A977-4376-8C4D-DC955E8C9767.jpeg

The reason for only doing eight of each is the fact that the two minute mix and pour time wouldn’t be enough to do more. I mixed and poured the resin. Once you put the two parts of resin together you only have two minutes to mix and pour before it starts solidifying.

7F22396D-4952-4C44-94FB-A05C9955A4B5.jpeg
753F6450-5EC3-457D-AE81-C644A6ABC14B.jpeg

After a half hour cure time and trimming the sprue it’s time to weigh the resin decorations up. The eight resin decorations for the sides of the gun ports weighed in at 0.30 ounces and the eight resin gun port decorations weighed 0.15 ounces. 048866D7-6EFC-47B4-B545-8769B093CEC0.jpeg
4B04CEEF-90C6-4C5D-A475-64091BBA5E20.jpeg

Here’s what they look like side by side.

38541B56-DBF6-4E4A-ADF9-0F6D5851F4CE.jpeg

All painted up, can you tell which ones are metal or resin?

C14A597C-1E2B-474F-92EA-1997D54E5213.jpeg

Back