ZHL motorised Rope Walk, by neptune,

I have never extend by myself. Mostly the seller extent. Because he don"t want to loose the sell. Just wait. I had a few times the part doesn't arrived in time and the seller had to payback my money. Than 2 week later the part arrived anyway. :)

The time is up with AliExpress. They canceled the sale and will reimburse me. I then changed my project to a Sainsmart Gemistsu 3018Pro-Ver CNC machine. Although out of stock on their site, they were selling one on amazon.ca. In the end, I am not prepared to put more than $ 300 on a rope making machine.

Hi Neptune. Just wondering how things are going with your machine? I finally finished building mine but I had to reengineer a few things in order to make it work:

(i) The machine is supposed to be able to use up to 6 strands to make a rope. I removed 3 so that the mechanism runs better. I noticed there was some gears not aligning properly with the holes. Rather than messing around and reboring the holes, I simply removed those things. Big difference. Anyways I don't plan on making more than 3 strands at a time. I may put those things back on, but right now I am happy with what it does.

(ii) The main shaft of the planetary gear slips out of alignment. I ordered a couple of pillow blocks to lock the shaft in place.

(iii) The spooler has been removed. Don't need it don't want it.

(iv) I put some thread lock on the screws for the strand threaders. Things kept loosening up all the time.

There. So why did I spend so much money on something that needed mods, well just because. It works fine for me now.
Now starts the experimenting!

Last edited:
Hi Neptune. Just wondering how things are going with your machine? I finally finished building mine but I had to reengineer a few things in order to make it work:

(i) The machine is supposed to be able to use up to 6 strands to make a rope. I removed 3 so that the mechanism runs better. I noticed there was some gears not aligning properly with the holes. Rather than messing around and reboring the holes, I simply removed those things. Big difference. Anyways I don't plan on making more than 3 strands at a time. I may put those things back on, but right now I am happy with what it does.

(ii) The main shaft of the planetary gear slips out of alignment. I ordered a couple of pillow blocks to lock the shaft in place.

(iii) The spooler has been removed. Don't need it don't want it.

(iv) I put some thread lock on the screws for the strand threaders. Things kept loosening up all the time.

There. So why did I spend so much money on something that needed mods, well just because. It works fine for me now.
Now starts the experimenting!

Thank you for all the information which I will save, I haven't done any more to the rope walk for now, I have a home made rope walk that will make ropes up to 4mm + diameter but she can be a little bit finicky with the very small diameter stuff, so I was hoping that the ZHL one would be better for the smaller diameter stuff, thanks again for the information you have given me,
Best regards John,

I have installed the two pillow blocks and now the machine works without any problems. I made my first successful rope with it. Unfortunately its black and I can't figure out how to take a picture so that you can see the rope twists, but trust me. It looks good.
Now I can start experimenting with thread sizes. There are three variables to control in the machine:
(i) The speed of the planetary gear
(ii) The speed of the takeup spool
(iii) The tension on the feed bobbins.

(iii) affects (ii), obviously and (i) needs to be fast enough to tighten the twists in the rope. So far I have this set to 20 and it seems to work well. Not sure if I will have to vary this number or not based on the different thicknesses of thread.

That's all I have on this topic for now

I have installed the two pillow blocks and now the machine works without any problems. I made my first successful rope with it. Unfortunately its black and I can't figure out how to take a picture so that you can see the rope twists, but trust me. It looks good.
Now I can start experimenting with thread sizes. There are three variables to control in the machine:
(i) The speed of the planetary gear
(ii) The speed of the takeup spool
(iii) The tension on the feed bobbins.

(iii) affects (ii), obviously and (i) needs to be fast enough to tighten the twists in the rope. So far I have this set to 20 and it seems to work well. Not sure if I will have to vary this number or not based on the different thicknesses of thread.

That's all I have on this topic for now
Thankyou for the info Jack,

best regards John,

53.jpg
Found a little bit of time to do some work on the rope machine, these are just a series of pics showing the gears being assembled,

54.jpg

55.jpg

56.jpg

57.jpg
and with the bobbin holders in place, you can see the central spindle that holds it all together,

58.jpg

59.jpg
and the two locking holders that hold the shaft secure while everything rotates around it,

60.jpg
a clearer view,

61.jpg
I'm having a bit of a problem working out how these are supposed to attach in place, I can get them to go on but the angled part with the hole seems to get in the way, has anyone else had this problem,

62.jpg

63.jpg

thanks for looking in and maybe being able to solve this for me,

best regards john.

View attachment 420493
I'm having a bit of a problem working out how these are supposed to attach in place, I can get them to go on but the angled part with the hole seems to get in the way, has anyone else had this problem,

View attachment 420494

View attachment 420495

thanks for looking in and maybe being able to solve this for me,

best regards john.

Hym, may be the angle piece, with the hole on the upward part, is for alignement of the thread that should pass into this hole ?

I only put three. I found the mechanism a little clunky with 6. Plus I don't think I will ever need a 6 stranded machine; especially since there is no core.

Back