ZHL Royal Caroline Kit, scale 1/30

990.jpg
This is one of the tools that i am using, I managed to buy two of them at a Car Boot sale for $5 for both,
the only thing is that you have to keep your finger on the switch, it is just a pressure one,

991.jpg
Close up view,

992.jpg
I was very lucky that my Daughter in Law, years ago worked for a dentist and he gave her some of these tiny
burrs for me to use,

993.jpg
These ones I bought from a guy on the Canadian ebay site, I got heaps of them for approx $15,

994.jpg
close up,

995.jpg
This is the two of them, starting to take shape,

996.jpg
and another couple of views,

997.jpg
I'm wondering whether to have another go and try to improve on the noses, or not push my luck
and use them as they are, any comments welcome, I could always say that they used to be Boxer's
that is why they have flat nose's, ;););),

thanks for looking,

best regards john.

Last edited:
That could be an interesting story to tell, taking into account the Chinese origin of the kit...

I am thinking about gluing in new noses...

There will not be any rebellions on my ship, Boxer or other wise, ,

And I will have to check to see if they have Private Health insurance before doing any Nose Transplants,,:D:D:D,

Last edited:
You also have to remove something at the top of the nose where it goes to the eyebrows, this again will bring forward the tip of the nose.
It works best when you take a picture of a face front and enprofil sight next to your work, you can then clearly see what you have to do.
And keep in mind you can only remove wood.

You are nearly there.

You also have to remove something at the top of the nose where it goes to the eyebrows, this again will bring forward the tip of the nose.
It works best when you take a picture of a face front and enprofil sight next to your work, you can then clearly see what you have to do.
And keep in mind you can only remove wood.

You are nearly there.

Thank you for all the help and advice Maarten, I will give it a go, also thanks to all for any comments or likes,
Best regards John,

Last edited:
999.jpg
And after working out the positions they had to be attached in, these are the same figures only these pics
are taken with flash, and it looks as if I am going to have to reshape the top of the stem for the bowsprit to
sit on a bit better,

1000.jpg
Making sure they align up OK,

1001.jpg
and a front view,

1002.jpg
when I was happy with the positioning of them I then drilled up into them and CA glued a 2mm brass bar in the hole,
then i waxed them,

Last edited:
1003.jpg
And after buffing and gluing in place,

1004.jpg
another view,

1005.jpg
this one was taken without the flash,

1006.jpg
and with the bowsprit in place,

1007.jpg
These next three are just different views,

1008.jpg

1009.jpg
And a big thank you to Maarten for the advice and the encouragement, it is much appreciated,

best regards John,

Last edited:
1010.jpg
I'm trying to get some of the internal work done before doing the head rails, so next up are the cabin doors, here
you cab see the port side door, I've sanded it to fit, This door is going to be in the closed position, but first I have
to fit the glass and all the door trims on the back of the door,

1011.jpg
The backs of both doors, i have to make a frame for holding the windows and also some paneling for the lower area's,

1012.jpg
So I have framed around the edges,

1013.jpg
and I have cut some plastic for the window, the blue is a protective cellophane cover
that will be removed before installing the window,

1014.jpg
both the windows have had their frames made,

1015.jpg
almost complete now, just the top piece to glue in place,

1016.jpg
Testing the top piece for fit,

1017.jpg
both doors completed, one still has to be varnished and I still have to add the inside door knobs,

Last edited:
1023.jpg
view across the deck to the open door,

1024.jpg
for the door hinges I just used a piece of 1mm brass wire,

1025.jpg
close up view,

1026.jpg
looking down into the cabin,

1027.jpg
before i varnish the cabin deck I have to make a decision on whether to leave the hatch as it is shown above,

1028.jpg
or to pull it back and cut off the excess runners, still thinking about it,

Thanks guys for all the comments and likes, they are much appreciated,

1029.jpg
When i was doing the shopping on Friday, I was having a look around one of the many Charity shops, and I came
across this lovely wooden box, which i bought,

1030.jpg
Only $5, in as new condition,

1031.jpg
Its a box for storing 35mm slides, but I will be using it to store my blocks dead eyes and other small fittings,

Last edited:
Back