ZHL Royal Caroline

Unfortunately minwax is not available over here. I use oils and inks mainly. For my inner bullwarks I mixed some red latex with a large part acrylic clear coat again finished with oil. Happy with the results sofar.
View attachment 164926

Looks real good Maarten. When I first saw this photo, I thought you used osage orange wood for your bulwarks. I've used ink before as a stain but unless it's the water soluble type that you can thin down, it's usually just too strong and is more like paint than stain. Thanks for the tip on mixing clear coat with paint. I might have to give that a try.

Take care,

Bob

I applied Elmer's wood filler to the starboard side yesterday and let it dry overnight. Today I sanded it smooth as seen in this photo.

IMG_0794.jpg

I will probably do a little more sanding before I layout and plank the second layer. But first I want to sand out the port side and apply a coat of wood filler to that side tomorrow.

Meanwhile, my whitewash stain arrived today. I'm not sure it's going to work. It looks more like paint to me. I ordered it from Amazon. It was wrapped up in a bubble wrap bag. Guess what. The lid had come loose and the stain leaked out all over everything. What a mess. I managed to clean the can up and get the lid back on but what I found was it nearly dries on contact with things. I got it all over my fingers and had a time washing it off because it was dry. I've got a feeling the same thing is going to happen when it's applied to wood. Unless you apply it a very little at a time and wipe it off immediately, it's going to dry and look more like a painted surface than a stained surface. I'll have to experiment with it. I might try what Maarten did and mix it with some Minwax Polycrylic which is a waterbased poly acrylic clear finish. We'll see.

That's all for now,

Bob

Hello Bob, First off I've always been a fan of your work. I really wish I would have gotten at least one of your kits when you were
making them :/ However when I was deep into modelling tanks I made up a mixture of my own to simulate freshly fallen snow
on a Stug I was finishing up. It really didnt have the desired results but may just be what the doctor ordered for the appearence
you are after. I took a semi-gloss acrylic clear paint ( may have been Polly S but it was long ago ) and I added talcom powder to
it, then sprayed with an airbrush. It kind of had some snow as I did not mix it well wanting it to stay granular, but a good bit of the
tank took on a white-ish hue. Perhaps this method and a good mixing before painting would give you the finish you desire.

Hope I helped in some small way,
Clair

Sorry to rear my head up again so quickly but I had another idea while taking a smoke break, artist pastel chaulks have produced
nice results to accent bolt heads and such for me. They smear some if you even think about touching the model before a finish coat
but with a white chaulk and a willing thumb you could control the amount of chaulk you are rubbing into the grain of the wood.

Chaulks are great to represent rust as well. Just tossing that out there.

Clair

Hi Clair,

Thanks for your tips/suggestions. I'm definitely going to do some experimenting with some scraps of wood before I proceed. I'm not sure if I can achieve the results I'm hoping for but I'm going to give it a good try. I definitely do not want to paint the lower hull white. I'm more of a fan of natural wood in my models instead of paint. If worse comes to worse, I'll just finish the lower hull planks naturally. They're a very light colored wood anyway.

Thanks again,

Bob

The chemicals I mentioned are widely used in normal households. For instance sodium hydroxide is used to unclog drains and to remove paint. It should be possible to find in many ordinary shops e.g. Walmart. Though, if you go crazy and buy it in excessive amount the police may come pay you a visit as it is also an essential ingredient in crystal meth production https://www.walmart.com/ip/Sodium-Hydroxide-Pure-Food-Grade-Caustic-Soda-Lye-1-pound/886097165 Likely they have also titanium dioxide https://www.walmart.com/ip/Titanium...2-non-nano-Food-grade-Vegan-Non-GMO/375443266
I found a video of a wood turner whitening wood with sodium hydroxide mixed 50/50 with 27% Hydrogen Peroxide:

Last edited:
Just a quick update, no new photos yet. I finished the first layer on both sides, sanded and wood filler applied and sanded out. I laid the two wales on the starboard side today. It was the first time I ever had to use heat to bend a plank after 30+ years of building. The wales in this kit are about 1/8" thick swiss pear. I hafe a large size soldering iron I clamped in a vise. I soaked the two planks in water for about an hour, then turned the iron on and after it heated up, easily bent the planks at the bow by running them over the iron and applying some pressure to bend them. Worked great and got them glued on. I'll probably post more photos later in the week.

Bob

Meanwhile, my whitewash stain arrived today. I'm not sure it's going to work. It looks more like paint to me. I ordered it from Amazon. It was wrapped up in a bubble wrap bag. Guess what. The lid had come loose and the stain leaked out all over everything. What a mess. I managed to clean the can up and get the lid back on but what I found was it nearly dries on contact with things. I got it all over my fingers and had a time washing it off because it was dry. I've got a feeling the same thing is going to happen when it's applied to wood. Unless you apply it a very little at a time and wipe it off immediately, it's going to dry and look more like a painted surface than a stained surface. I'll have to experiment with it. I might try what Maarten did and mix it with some Minwax Polycrylic which is a waterbased poly acrylic clear finish. We'll see.
Vallejo modeller's paints make the following product in a small 35ml (1.2 oz) bottle:
Model Wash
On Amazon: $7.99
It's designed for plastic kits, but could be worth experimenting to get the right look.

Hi Bob, re wood bleach ( as it commomly known)

This is the mixture I used.
DSC02436.jpg
Below is the result of one coat with a brush on over 10 minutes.
The original was walnut on left result on right . It will remove all colouring!
DSC02435.jpg

Also be aware it VERY TOXIC and MUST soaked in fresh water several times.

Hi Bob, re wood bleach ( as it commomly known)

This is the mixture I used.
View attachment 165637
Below is the result of one coat with a brush on over 10 minutes.
The original was walnut on left result on right . It will remove all colouring!
View attachment 165638

Also be aware it VERY TOXIC and MUST soaked in fresh water several times.

What proportion of each one you mix ?

Thanks Daniel

Hi Bob,
that Royal Caroline is one of the Beautiful model ship kits available.
I purchased this beautiful kit and will probably get to it after I finish Priceland and Hannah. I will definitely help in this blog, you present a most beautiful work. Thanks :D Thumbsup

you DONT!
You brush on one, then the other.

see doc for approx strenth

See below

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the info. I don't think bleached is the look I'm going for. The wood in the kit is already a very light color. The instructions call it maple but it looks rather grainy to be the kind of maple we have here in the US. Here's a couple of photos of what I'd like to achieve:

istockphoto-866666670-612x612.jpg

This first one is more of a paint that has been sanded off. Not quite what I want but close.

whitewashed-pine-dresser-chair-painted-furniture-repurposing-upcycling.jpg

This second one is much more subtle looking on a darker wood. I think this one is closer to what I'd like to achieve. I just don't know if it will be worth the time to do. I think I'd have to do one plank at a time, wait for it to completely dry, then apply the plank so that I could get slightly different results on each plank. I don't know. Just seems like it would take forever to do this so it's something I'm debating now.

Thanks,

Bob

Hi Bob,
that Royal Caroline is one of the Beautiful model ship kits available.
I purchased this beautiful kit and will probably get to it after I finish Priceland and Hannah. I will definitely help in this blog, you present a most beautiful work. Thanks :D Thumbsup

Thanks shota70. I'm forging ahead a little bit each day. Perseverance is what builds model ships! Take care,

Bob

Back