1/30 HMS Royal Caroline Build

G'day again Rick, it might look like I'm having a go at you, I'm not, I'm just trying to work out how you are measuring things.
Actually I'm impressed with the way your carvings are fitting the ship, with my first RC I had to trim some of them, with what you said about your plans I was wondering if maybe they have changed something, the kit I built all the ships block's were in halves and had to be glued together to make a whole block, in this kit the blocks are one piece, but it looks like I will have to trim some of the carvings again, so I am going to extend the hull so they fit better it will be interesting to see how it turns out,

Best regards John,

G'day Rick, its the part where you say on the real ship the deck length is as below,

Real ship,

90.1 ft long on Deck

then you say

90.1 @ 1.30 = 95.47 ft, 90.1 feet @ 1/30 scale is just a fraction over 3feet,

View attachment 335092
Hi John,
Here's some clarification for you my man---
The Model is supposed to Scale out at 90.1 feet long from Stem to Stern at 1:30 Scale (Should be 91.5cm)
The Model Kit Actual Length from Stem to Stern = 95.47 feet at 1:30 Scale (True measurement is 95.47cm)---
My Kit is 5.456 cm to long, which is quite enough to mess things up.
When measuring the Deck length, every single plan I have shows a different measurement, hence my Harping to carefully measure ALL of the plans because they may be wrong like mine was!!!
Hope this helps--Rick

20210529_225437.jpg

20210529_225547.jpg

20201129_194422.jpg

20210530_195337.jpg

large (7).jpg

Hi John,
Here's some clarification for you my man---
The Model is supposed to Scale out at 90.1 feet long from Stem to Stern at 1:30 Scale (Should be 91.5cm)
The Model Kit Actual Length from Stem to Stern = 95.47 feet at 1:30 Scale (True measurement is 95.47cm)---
My Kit is 5.456 cm to long, which is quite enough to mess things up.
When measuring the Deck length, every single plan I have shows a different measurement, hence my Harping to carefully measure ALL of the plans because they may be wrong like mine was!!!
Hope this helps--Rick

View attachment 335261

View attachment 335262

View attachment 335267

View attachment 335268

View attachment 335271
Thank you for the clarification Rick, now I know where you are measuring from I can see what you are doing, the 90.1 feet is not from stem to stern, it is the range on the deck, which is totally different it states this at the top of the draught, see below on the pic of the draught, the red lines above the X's mark where the range of the deck is,

large (7).jpg
The overall measurement from the stem to the transom is entirely different,

Thank you for the clarification Rick, now I know where you are measuring from I can see what you are doing, the 90.1 feet is not from stem to stern, it is the range on the deck, which is totally different it states this at the top of the draught, see below on the pic of the draught, the red lines above the X's mark where the range of the deck is,

View attachment 335305
The overall measurement from the stem to the transom is entirely different,
Sorry but you are incorrect. That is why I attached the original draught plan. It clearly shows the length and is clearly marked!

HMY Royal Caroline (1750)​

Article Talk

For other ships with the same name, see HMY Royal Caroline.
HMY Royal Caroline was a ship-rigged royal yacht. She was ordered in 1749 to replace HMY Carolina as Britain's principal royal yacht. She was built at Deptford Dockyard under the supervision of Master Shipwright John Hollond to a design by Surveyor of the Navy Joseph Allin. She was launched on 29 January 1750 and was broken up 70 years later, in 1820.[1]
General characteristics [1]
Royal Navy EnsignGreat Britain
History
John Cleveley the Elder - The 'Royal Caroline'.jpg
HMY Royal Caroline by John Cleveley the Elder, showing the ship in full sail and flying the red and blue ensigns and the common pennant.
NameHMY Royal Caroline
Ordered22 August 1749
BuilderDeptford Dockyard
Launched29 January 1750
RenamedHMY Royal Charlotte in 1761
FateBroken up in July 1820
Class and typeRoyal yacht
Tons burthen232 11⁄94 (bm)
Length
  • 90 ft 1 in (27.46 m) (gundeck)
  • 72 ft 2+1⁄2 in (22.009 m) (keel)
Beam24 ft 7 in (7.49 m)
Depth of hold11 ft (3.4 m)
Sail planFull-rigged ship
Armament8 x 4-pounder (or 10 x 3-pounder) guns + 8 x ½-pdr swivel guns

This is the dimensions and it clearly states 90 ft 1 in gundeck, or have they got it incorrect as well,​

HMY Royal Caroline (1750)​

Article Talk

For other ships with the same name, see HMY Royal Caroline.
HMY Royal Caroline was a ship-rigged royal yacht. She was ordered in 1749 to replace HMY Carolina as Britain's principal royal yacht. She was built at Deptford Dockyard under the supervision of Master Shipwright John Hollond to a design by Surveyor of the Navy Joseph Allin. She was launched on 29 January 1750 and was broken up 70 years later, in 1820.[1]
History
Royal Navy EnsignGreat Britain
General characteristics [1]
John Cleveley the Elder - The 'Royal Caroline'.jpg'Royal Caroline'.jpg
HMY Royal Caroline by John Cleveley the Elder, showing the ship in full sail and flying the red and blue ensigns and the common pennant.
NameHMY Royal Caroline
Ordered22 August 1749
BuilderDeptford Dockyard
Launched29 January 1750
RenamedHMY Royal Charlotte in 1761
FateBroken up in July 1820
Class and typeRoyal yacht
Tons burthen232 11⁄94 (bm)
Length
  • 90 ft 1 in (27.46 m) (gundeck)
  • 72 ft 2+1⁄2 in (22.009 m) (keel)
Beam24 ft 7 in (7.49 m)
Depth of hold11 ft (3.4 m)
Sail planFull-rigged ship
Armament8 x 4-pounder (or 10 x 3-pounder) guns + 8 x ½-pdr swivel guns

This is the dimensions and it clearly states 90 ft 1 in gundeck, or have they got it incorrect as well,​

also confirmed by the threedecks web-page

Screenshot 2022-10-20 102821.png

The data are coming from the book "British Warships in the Age of Sail 1714-1792" by Rif Winfield

Sorry but you are incorrect. That is why I attached the original draught plan. It clearly shows the length and is clearly marked!
I'm sorry Rick but it is you that is wrong, can you show me where you say It clearly shows the length and is clearly marked!.

Below the draught there is a scale in feet, and it shows 90feet one inch, ap is the aft perpendicular and fp is the front perpendicular and the distance between them is 90feet and one inch, and this is on the deck, the overall length is longer,

large (7).jpg

also confirmed by the threedecks web-page

View attachment 335453

The data are coming from the book "British Warships in the Age of Sail 1714-1792" by Rif Winfield

G'day Uwe, are you confirming that the 90feet 1inch is on the gun deck,

best regards John.

I'm sorry Rick but it is you that is wrong, can you show me where you say It clearly shows the length and is clearly marked!.

Below the draught there is a scale in feet, and it shows 90feet one inch, ap is the aft perpendicular and fp is the front perpendicular and the distance between them is 90feet and one inch, the overall lenght is longer,

View attachment 335454

You obviously can't read an official Draught and you keep arguing with me on the size of a model kit that is under construction-- I am not going to play these childish games. Please stop posting stuff on my blog. Create your own post on your own blog!!!!

You obviously can't read an official Draught and you keep arguing with me on the size of a model kit that is under construction-- I am not going to play these childish games. Please stop posting stuff on my blog. Create your own post on your own blog!!!!
Its you who cannot read a draught, if you don't know the difference between length on the gun deck and overall length, especially when there is a scale in feet below the draught, and all the official documentation says 90ft 1inch on the gundeck, and these are not childish games, others will be viewing these logs and I just want the correct information out there,

Last edited:
Gentlemen, please...there is no need to argue and put tension. Our hobby is not a science rocket project, we are not building copies, we are building models. Who definitely cannot read drafts - that would be me, but I am not making a big deal of it. I know if I need help, both of you will come to the rescue. ;)

...now back to our great hobby

G'day Rick, in the spirit of friendship and sharing, which this Forum is all about I admit that I was like a dog with a bone and I should have respected your views and not kept on at you, we all have our different ways of interpreting and doing things and I would just like to say I apologize for my actions and would like to hold out the hand of friendship to you, it would be a pity if we both miss out on each others build logs, what say you,

Best regards John,

WIP---
Hello Everyone. Finally got a little time away from my regular job to make some more progress on the build. Got the Port & Starboard side Lower Freeze(s) done after milling out for the Channels. Test fitting the Carvings again. My next step is to start shaping all the Gun Port Carvings and keep working my way towards the Bow. I am pretty sure I WILL NOT attach the main big Carvings until after I get the Day Cabin Interior and Exterior completed. Working with the Gold Painting can be a challenge at times (Rubbing off, etc.). Like Maarten said on his Royal Caroline Build Blog, these Carvings are very nice but take a considerable amount of time to shape & finish before attaching them to the Hull!!!!!!!!

20221023_010212 (1).jpg

20221023_005704.jpg

20221023_005648.jpg

20221023_005652.jpg

20221023_005951.jpg

20221023_005941.jpg

20221023_010005.jpg

20221023_010700.jpg

20221023_010639.jpg

G'day Rick, in the spirit of friendship and sharing, which this Forum is all about I admit that I was like a dog with a bone and I should have respected your views and not kept on at you, we all have our different ways of interpreting and doing things and I would just like to say I apologize for my actions and would like to hold out the hand of friendship to you, it would be a pity if we both miss out on each others build logs, what say you,

Best regards John,
I say ALL IS GOOD MATE!!!!!
No hard feelings & lets keep this Great Hobby Alive & Going because us Old Geezers need to be the Pillars of Ship modeling for our youth to learn from!
Best Wishes & Good health to you my Man!!!!

Thank you for that Rick, I've downloaded and saved some of your photos of your side carvings to compare with my first RC to see where I could have placed mine differently to get a better fit so when I get to do them on the Box Wood they look better,
Best regards John,

WIP---
Working on the Port side Top Waist Freeze Carvings that go on the top of the Waist Bulwark. This is a little tricky & frustrating because the Freeze actually has a slight Taper towards the bow. This is the step where you have to be about 10 steps ahead and prep multiple Carvings in order to get the alignment fairly close on multiple different Carvings all at once.

20221026_162826.jpg

20221026_162728.jpg

20221026_162721.jpg

20221026_151834 (1).jpg

20221026_163233.jpg

20221026_163226.jpg

Back