Caf Model - New Kit 1/48 Le Coureur 1776

Well, I'm not certain either @PoulD and @Jimsky ..... I've been watching the CAF website for some indication of WHEN the Le Courier will be available. So, in the process, I've become a little familiar with the models on the site. I am just as confused as PoulD is.
I know the original version of this had a two-piece form (mold..) over which the boat is built. The latest version has a one-piece form. I'm NOT certain what difference that makes..??
This one appears to be a clinker hull (from pictures..), but I'm not certain about the other one. So...two different boats here. Which one is the "gift" boat.?? And is it not as nice.?? Should we purchase this boat also (because it's "better"..??).

I am so confused.... I've got a headache and I can't get up...

Generally speaking, longboat, launch, and cutter are different types of boats. They differed from size, and mainelly their purpose. For example: The longboat was generally more seaworthy than the cutter, which had a fuller stern for such load-carrying work as laying out an anchor and cable. In a seaway or surf therefore, the cutter was more prone to broaching.

Thanks for this Jimsky.. More information for my addled brain. Really, I was NOT aware of the major differences.! So, did the Le Coureur carry .....uhh... which one .. or one(s)..???

Generally speaking, longboat, launch, and cutter are different types of boats. They differed from size, and mainelly their purpose. For example: The longboat was generally more seaworthy than the cutter, which had a fuller stern for such load-carrying work as laying out an anchor and cable. In a seaway or surf therefore, the cutter was more prone to broaching.
I may very well be wrong as I don't know, but for sailing ships carrying only one boat I would think (reason) that a Navy ship would most likely carry a longboat while a merchant ship would maybe carry a cutter.
Also with this I might wrong but I seem to have noticed that different boat terms such as Admiral's barge, Captain's gig, Cutter, Dinghy, Jolly boat, longboat, Pinnace, yawl, quarter-boat are often used more or less indiscriminately among kit manufactors and among model builders.

So, did the Le Coureur carry .....uhh... which one .. or one(s)..???
Le Coureur a 'luger' type of ship, carried around 65 sailors. I think the ship's boat was a 'cutter'. Looking at the plans, its location is incompatible with the operation of the two starboard side guns: unless the boat is moved or set in-tow behind the vessel.

I may very well be wrong as I don't know, but for sailing ships carrying only one boat I would think (reason) that a Navy ship would most likely carry a longboat while a merchant ship would maybe carry a cutter.
Also with this I might wrong but I seem to have noticed that different boat terms such as Admiral's barge, Captain's gig, Cutter, Dinghy, Jolly boat, longboat, Pinnace, yawl, quarter-boat are often used more or less indiscriminately among kit manufactors and among model builders.
It is not necessarily correct. If you look at the Falconet as the kit manufacturers (for example), they have different boats models . Check this out:

it is depends on the kit and the manufacturer ;) But for the most parts, boats are very simplified

Le Coureur a 'luger' type of ship, carried around 65 sailors. I think the ship's boat was a 'cutter'. Looking at the plans, its location is incompatible with the operation of the two starboard side guns: unless the boat is moved or set in-tow behind the vessel.
The cheapest boat (the one without plastic mold) was apparenly sold also for the Salamandre. It seems that CAF makes this boat in 2 different lengt 130 mm and 168 mm. ZHL are listing the 130 mm as a cutter and the 168 mm as a long boat. However, the only difference seems to be the size.

This makes sense. CAF is calling THIS boat a cutter, and is showing it on "sale" right now. My calculations put this boat at just a hair over 5 Inches in length at 1:48... which is supposed to 'agree' with Le Coureur (1:48..).

The cheapest boat (the one without plastic mold) was apparenly sold also for the Salamandre. It seems that CAF makes this boat in 2 different lengt 130 mm and 168 mm. ZHL are listing the 130 mm as a cutter and the 168 mm as a long boat. However, the only difference seems to be the size.
@PoulD .....

I am not sure about this.... I have not looked at ZHL, however CAF lists both of these boats in the manner you mentioned. However, CAF shows this particular boat as a "life boat" for Salamandre...IF you look at the URL for the page. This is the more expensive boat, the newest model, the smaller one of the two.

This is the page URL for this boat; 1:48, boat, 130mm, "Cutter"

Screen Shot 2020-08-18 at 6.29.31 PM.png

Also... If you examine the two boats images side by side, there are some obvious differences. Although I am not sure what makes one a "cutter" and one "longboat"...???? The "long boat" IS a bit longer at 168 mm, but the shape is also different. Its wider amidship and appears deeper at the stern. Also more "thwarts" for seating. Just a different look and configuration.

Screen Shot 2020-08-18 at 6.24.21 PM.pngScreen Shot 2020-08-18 at 6.23.59 PM.png

I don't know.....
Doesn't make a lot of sense...

Both of these show up on the page URL as a "life boat" for Salamandre.
They are obviously different.
The "Long Boat" is longer, deeper, and wider across the beam amidship.
The "Cutter" is shorter, smaller overall, wider closer to the bow, more taper front to rear.

Pick 'em, choose 'em..... Ohhh, there IS a difference in price.!!

I don't know.....
Doesn't make a lot of sense...

Both of these show up on the page URL as a "life boat" for Salamandre.
They are obviously different.
The "Long Boat" is longer, deeper, and wider across the beam amidship.
The "Cutter" is shorter, smaller overall, wider closer to the bow, more taper front to rear.
Gentlemen, from the pictures Howard, provides it makes more sense now: These are two different boat types. One of them - indeed a 6 oared cutter, another one is 16th oared longboat. Take a close look, the stern of a longboat is different and have higher boarts. ;)

Given the size of Le Coureur, as a ship's boat, the cutter or “petit canot” would likely be more appropriate.

“Ship's boat” is the general term referring to vessels such as longboats, barges and cutters. Their names identify their size, which was subject to their use as working boats for certain tasks: ie setting anchors, etc….

The size of the longboat (“chaloupe”) at 36’ or the barge (grand canot”) at 32’ is somewhat prohibitive on a ship such as Le Coureur: at least fitted or stowed on deck.

It was common practice for cutters to be clinker-built while longboats and barges were carvel planked.

G.

Last edited:
The two boats are identical in shape.
The difference between them is the hull,
The kit, which contains a resin mold, has a tile shaped hull, which completely represents the state of the plan
And as a gift boat, His hull is a plane butt installation, which is different from plan
40.jpg

Back