1/60 scale RC model of a schooner, loosely based on a gunboat steamship from the second half of the 19th century.

Grazie Johan e Peter, apprezzo molto i vostri complimenti ma sono consapevole che, in quanto ad accuratezza modellistica, voi siete ad un livello superiore.
Non è modestia la mia ma semplice constatazione della realtà.
Mi posso giustificare, in parte, dicendo che per creare un modello RC vanno accettati alcuni compromessi che compromettono leggermente la precisa fedeltà al modello al quali ci si ispira o al quale si fa riferimento.

Thanks Johan and Peter, I really appreciate your compliments but I am aware that, in terms of modeling accuracy, you are at a superior level.
My opinion is not modesty but a simple observation of reality.
I can justify myself, in part, by saying that to create an RC model some compromises must be accepted which slightly compromise the precise fidelity to the model which is inspired or referred to.

Salute a tutti i modellisti di questo forum.

Finora non ho chiesto il vostro consiglio perché ho illustrato e descritto scelte già adottate.
Presto avrò bisogno del vostro consiglio.
Tuttavia, anche riguardo alle scelte passate, se qualcuno avesse dei dubbi o volesse esprimere un giudizio negativo, mi interesserebbe molto il suo parere.

Ho deciso di dipingere il modello solo dalla linea di galleggiamento in su, lasciando il colore naturale del mogano sottostante.
Non mi piaceva nessuna delle tonalità di blu presenti nei cataloghi Humbrol (li consideravo i migliori smalti), quindi ho mescolato varie tonalità finché non ho trovato quello che mi piaceva di più.
Ecco le proporzioni:
la combinazione attuale della terza lancetta è HUM104= 7 ml, HUM33= 6 ml, HUM230= 3 ml.
Non c'è molto da dire, allego le foto.

Eh sì, forse qualche consiglio per chi ha appena iniziato a fare il modello, non certo per chi è esperto.
Quando metti il nastro protettivo, dovrebbe essere dipinto sotto e non sopra.
Lo so è banale e ovvio ma molte persone commettono errori, anche solo per distrazione, e poi si ritrovano con qualche colatura sotto il nastro.
Logicamente prima di dipingere avevo già incollato l'Incintone (non sono ancora riuscito a trovare il termine inglese, appena lo trovo lo inserisco).
Hi everyone

So far I have not asked for your advice because I illustrated and I describe choices already adopted. Soon I will need your advice.
However, even regarding past choices, if anyone had doubts or wanted to express a negative opinion, I would be very interested in their opinion.

I decided to paint the model only from the waterline up, leaving the natural color of the mahogany underneath.
I didn't like any of the existing shades of blue in the Humbrol catalogs (I considered them the best nail polishes), so I mixed various shades until I found the one I liked best.
Here are the proportions:
the current combination of the third hand is HUM104= 7 ml, HUM33= 6 ml, HUM230= 3 ml.
There's not much to say, I'll attach the photos.

Ah yes, perhaps some advice for those who are just starting to do modelling, certainly not for those who are experts.
When you put protective tape, it should be painted under it and not over it.
I know it's trivial and obvious but many people make mistakes, even just out of distraction, and then they end up with some drippings under the tape.

Logically, before painting I had already glued the Incintone (I haven't been able to find the English term yet, as soon as I find it I'll insert it).

n.jpg

300n.jpg

301n.jpg

303n.jpg

3035n.jpg

n.jpg

miscn.jpg

misc2.jpg

chigl2.jpg

chigln.jpg

Last edited:
Hello Alessandro,

A very good looking color blue. The pictures show me you selected a matt finish, my own preference would've been a satin finish, but that's a personal taste.
Some ships also show a clear waterline in a rather light (close to white) color. Doesn't the life-size example have a waterline or is this your interpretation?
I'm not sure what you are referring to with respect to the protective tape. Is that for painting or did you have another reason for applying the tape?

Kind regards,
Johan

Hello Alessandro,

A very good looking color blue. The pictures show me you selected a matt finish, my own preference would've been a satin finish, but that's a personal taste.
Some ships also show a clear waterline in a rather light (close to white) color. Doesn't the life-size example have a waterline or is this your interpretation?
I'm not sure what you are referring to with respect to the protective tape. Is that for painting or did you have another reason for applying the tape?

Kind regards,
Johan
Grazie a Johan per il commento e l'apprezzamento.

Grazie a Johan, Peter, Norway, Webber007 e Colin B per il "mi piace".

Rispondo a Johan.
Sono contento che questo tipo di blu ti piaccia.

Sono d'accordo con te, anch'io preferisco il lucido o satinato all'opaco.
Forse opache erano più realistiche, non so.
Di fatto le successive verniciature ulteriori di impermeabilizzazione sopra gli smalti humbrol, hanno dato una nuova finitura, non più opaca. Sono curioso di sapere se quella ti piacerà di più.

Per quanto riguarda la linea di galleggiamento, non posso dire con assoluta certezza come erano le cannoniere alle quali mi sono liberamente ispirato.
Non posso dirlo perchè le incisioni sono in bianco e nero e l'unico dipinto la raffigura in acqua.
E' molto probabile che non vi sia una linea di galleggiamento disegnata con colore a parte ma solo un incontro fra due tinte diverse.
Allego qualche immagine.

Per quanto riguarda il nastro carta utilizzato per la verniciatura è questo qui che allego in foto.
Il nastro è attaccato lungo la linea di galleggiamento e serve per non sbafare con lo smalto oltre la linea. Tuttavia se si vernicia con il nastro sotto (nave in posizione normale) lo smalto può penetrare sotto il nastro. Se si vernicia con il nastro sopra (nave capovolta) ciò non accade.
Tu non usi il nastro carta per colorare sopra o sotto la linea di galleggiamento, come fai a seguire una linea precisa?

Nell'ultima foto la freccia rossa indica un corso di fasciame più sporgente che in italiano viene chiamato "incintone".
Logicamente se chiedo a una persona comune (non appassionato nè di nautica nè di modellismo) non saprà certamente dirmi che cos'è l'"incintone". In inglese sarebbe tradotto così: pregnant woman, ahahahahah.

Thanks to Johan for the comment and appreciation.

Thanks to Peter, Norway, Webber007 and Colin B for the "like".

I reply to Johan.
I'm glad you like this type of blue.
I agree with you, I also prefer glossy or satin to matte.
Maybe matte were more realistic, I don't know.In fact, the subsequent additional waterproofing paints over the Humbrol enamels gave a new finish, no longer opaque. I'm curious to know if you'll like that one better.

As for the waterline, I can't say with absolute certainty what the gunboats I freely took inspiration from looked like.
I can't say because the engravings are black and white and the only painting depicts her in the water.
It is very likely that there is not a water line drawn with a separate color but only a meeting between two different shades.
I attach some images.

As for the paper tape used for painting, this is the one I attach in the photo.
The tape is attached along the waterline and is used to avoid messing with the nail polish beyond the line.
However, if you paint with the tape underneath (ship in normal position) the paint can penetrate under the tape. If you paint with the tape on it (ship upside down) this doesn't happen.
You don't use paper tape to color above or below the waterline, how do you follow a precise line?

In the last photo the red arrow indicates a more protruding strake which in Italian is called "incintone".Logically, if I ask an ordinary person (not passionate about boating or modeling) he certainly won't be able to tell me what "pregnant" is. In English it would be translated like this: pregnant woman, ahahahahah.

1864-USS-Winona-against-the-Roanoke.jpg

20200425_203700.jpg

20200516.jpg

20200501_122352.jpg

In fact, the subsequent additional waterproofing paints over the Humbrol enamels gave a new finish, no longer opaque. I'm curious to know if you'll like that one better.
It's a matter of personal taste, more than anything. We might assume which finish was used on these ships, but a lot of things concerning shipbuilding are far from certain.
If I were you, I would go for my own preferences and call it Artistic License or Free Interpretation (AL-FI).
As for the waterline, I can't say with absolute certainty what the gunboats I freely took inspiration from looked like.
I can't say because the engravings are black and white and the only painting depicts her in the water.
It is very likely that there is not a water line drawn with a separate color but only a meeting between two different shades.
I attach some images.
From the pictures you enclosed I distinguished a dark blue to black hull above the waterline, a white or close to white waterline and red below the waterline:

In fact, the subsequent additional waterproofing paints over the Humbrol enamels gave a new finish, no longer opaque. I'm curious to know if you'll like that one better.
It's a matter of personal taste, more than anything. We might assume which finish was used on these ships, but a lot of things concerning shipbuilding are far from certain.
If I were you, I would go for my own preferences and call it Artistic License or Free Interpretation (AL-FI).
I attach some images.
From the pictures you enclosed I a dark blue to black hull above the waterline, a white or close to white waterline and red below the waterline:
IMG_0087.jpeg

As for the paper tape used for painting, this is the one I attach in the photo.
The tape is attached along the waterline and is used to avoid messing with the nail polish beyond the line.
However, if you paint with the tape underneath (ship in normal position) the paint can penetrate under the tape. If you paint with the tape on it (ship upside down) this doesn't happen.
You don't use paper tape to color above or below the waterline, how do you follow a precise line?
Aha, I understand. If I want a precise line I will use a Tamiya tape. They come in various widths and are high quality tapes.
Since I applied a waterline to my models, I used the following process:
First: with a waterline tool and a pencil, mark the waterline all around.
Second: apply the desired finish of the waterline somewhat liberally above and below the marked line.
Third: mark the waterline again on the freshly applied finish and apply a Tamiya tape with the desired width for the waterline. Add tape with a larger width than the Tamiya tape, touching to the intended border of the next finish color but not extending the Tamiya tape. It doesn't matter wheteher or not you first paint the upper- or lower hull.
Four: apply the next finish color matching the above or below the waterline colors.
Five: repeat step four for the other half of the hull. (Do not remove the Tamiya tape!)
Six: once the finish is dry, remove all tape, including the waterline tape.
In the last photo the red arrow indicates a more protruding strake which in Italian is called "incintone".Logically, if I ask an ordinary person (not passionate about boating or modeling) he certainly won't be able to tell me what "pregnant" is. In English it would be translated like this: pregnant woman, ahahahahah.
Would "bulwark" be a good translation?

From the pictures you enclosed I a dark blue to black hull above the waterline, a white or close to white waterline and red below the waterline:
View attachment 401801

Aha, I understand. If I want a precise line I will use a Tamiya tape. They come in various widths and are high quality tapes.
Since I applied a waterline to my models, I used the following process:
First: with a waterline tool and a pencil, mark the waterline all around.
Second: apply the desired finish of the waterline somewhat liberally above and below the marked line.
Third: mark the waterline again on the freshly applied finish and apply a Tamiya tape with the desired width for the waterline. Add tape with a larger width than the Tamiya tape, touching to the intended border of the next finish color but not extending the Tamiya tape. It doesn't matter wheteher or not you first paint the upper- or lower hull.
Four: apply the next finish color matching the above or below the waterline colors.
Five: repeat step four for the other half of the hull. (Do not remove the Tamiya tape!)
Six: once the finish is dry, remove all tape, including the waterline tape.

Would "bulwark" be a good translation?
Ciao Johan.

Complimenti sei un ottimo osservatore. Io non me n'ero proprio accorto del rosso e del bianco.

Penso che "Free Interpretation" sia il termine migliore.
In effetti, io ho iniziato il progetto senza avere un modello di riferimento, mi volevo divertire a creare tutto da solo, ma poi ho visto che una nave simile c'era e quindi ho pensato di riprodurla.
Il risultato non è certo eccezionale, però ora voi state vedendo solo la parte dinamica, poi qualcosa di meglio verrà mostrato.

Il tuo metodo di dipingere la linea di galleggiamento è scientifico. Molto accurato.
Ho sentito che tutti usano il nastro Tamiya. Dicono che è il migliore. Io ho usato il nastro carta perchè è più economico, perciò ho dovuto verniciare con il nastro in alto e la vernice sotto.

Hi Johan.

Congratulations you are an excellent observer.
I didn't really notice the red and white.

I think "Free Interpretation" is the better term.
In fact, I started the project without having a reference model, I wanted to have fun creating everything myself, but then I saw that there was a similar ship and so I thought of reproducing it.
The result is certainly not exceptional, but now you are only seeing the dynamic part, then something better will be shown.

Your method of painting the waterline is scientific. Very accurate.
I hear everyone uses Tamiya tape. They say it's the best.
I used paper tape because it's cheaper, so I had to paint with the tape on top and the paint underneath.

"Bulwark" is not a good translation, unfortunately.
Instead it might be called "cope":
View attachment 401862
Ciao Johan.
Il disegno che hai postato è fantastico, così leggo un sacco di termini in inglese.
L'incintone non c'è, serve un'altro tipo di nave. Non è il Bulwark.
E' praticamente un planking più sporgente che fa da parabordo.

Hi Johan.
The drawing you posted is great, so I read a lot of English terms.
The incintone man isn't there, we need another type of ship.
It's not the Bulwark.
It's basically a more protruding planking that acts as a bumper.

Ciao Johan.
Il disegno che hai postato è fantastico, così leggo un sacco di termini in inglese.
L'incintone non c'è, serve un'altro tipo di nave. Non è il Bulwark.
E' praticamente un planking più sporgente che fa da parabordo.

Hi Johan.
The drawing you posted is great, so I read a lot of English terms.
The incintone man isn't there, we need another type of ship.
It's not the Bulwark.
It's basically a more protruding planking that acts as a bumper.
Ciao Johan mi hanno detto che il termine corretto per tradurre "incintone" è wale.
Non ho avuto modo di riscontrare l'informazione. A dire della fonte proviene da un glossario trilingue (Simone Stratico - Dizionario della marina in tre lingue - 1813).

Hi Johan, I was told that the correct term to translate "pregnant" is wale.
I have not had the opportunity to find the information.
According to the source, it comes from a trilingual glossary (Simone Stratico - Navy dictionary in three languages - 1813).

Ciao a tutti i modellisti navali.
Nei primi video potete vedere alcune prove di assorbimento elettrico a basso numero di giri e senza impedimenti (a parte l'attrito di questo fluido che chiamiamo acqua).
Purtroppo non li ho documentati tutti. Prove motore, prove di vibrazione e prove timone a basso numero di giri.
Gli altri, con rotazioni forzate, non sono documentati ma, se volete credermi, si sono comportati abbastanza bene da indurmi a proseguire con la costruzione.
L'amperometro era protetto fino a 10 ampere poi è stato rimosso.
Naturalmente non fate caso al caos dei cavi, poi sono stati accorciati e disposti in ordine simmetrico.
I cavi più pesanti si trovano in basso nelle apposite guide pretagliate dei telai e quelli più piccoli sono posizionati lungo i quadri longitudinali di rinforzo.
Seguono i video delle prove a secco dell'elica e del timone.
Poi ci sono i video di altri test di stabilità laterale quasi a pieno carico.
In questo post vorrei mostrarvi anche come ho realizzato i ponti.
Come avrete già capito, questa tipologia di vaporiere non presenta sovrastrutture sulle murate atte a nascondere i coperchi.
Chi fa modellismo statico non ha affatto il problema dei coperchi. Ma i modellisti dinamici sanno bene che l’accesso per cambiare le batterie o sostituire eventuali parti rotte deve essere garantito.
Le sovrastrutture sono una mano santa, beato chi le possiede.
Ho utilizzato due fogli di compensato sovrapposti come si vede nel disegno e come si vede nelle foto, in modo che i coperchi poi si incastrino.
In pratica ho creato uno scalino sia sul deck che sul coperchio.
I coperchi saranno tutti fissati con viti per legno. Ho scoperto che le viti sono superflue perchè il doppio fermo permette una chiusura molto stabile.
Non potevo saperlo in anticipo.
Le viti non vengono solo avvitate nel compensato, che sarebbe troppo sottile e troppo fragile, ma in un supporto prefilettato e molto robusto in legno. Le sedi delle viti sono rinforzate da piccoli imbuti di plastica incollati (precauzione forse del tutto superflua).
Inizialmente, come potete vedere dal confronto delle prime foto con le ultime, avevo previsto (stupidamente) molte aperture sulla coperta, ma molto piccole. Non ci ho messo molto a capire che tante aperture avrebbero rovinato ancora di più i listelli della coperta e non mi avrebbero permesso di infilare nemmeno una mano nella stiva del modello (che è maledettamente piccolo per tutto quello che deve fare).
Tuttavia, una volta incollati i doppi piani, il modello risulta molto robusto.
Solo l'impavesata è ancora molto delicata ma lo vedremo più avanti.
Abbiate pazienza ancora molta parte dinamica ma presto verranno elementi prettamente di modellismo statico.

Hello to all naval modelers.

In the first videos you can see some tests of electrical absorption at low rpm and without impediments (apart from the friction of this fluid that we call water).
Unfortunately I haven't documented them all.
Engine tests, vibration tests and rudder tests at low rpm.
The others, with forced rotations, are not documented but, if you want to believe me, it performed well enough to induce me to continue with the construction.
The ammeter was protected up to 10 amps then it was removed.
Don't pay attention to the chaos of cables, of course, they were then shortened and arranged in symmetrical order. The heaviest cables are at the bottom in the special pre-cut guides of the frames and the smaller ones are positioned along the longitudinal reinforcement squares.

The videos of the dry tests of the propeller and rudder follow.

Then there are videos of other lateral stability tests almost at full load.

In this post I would also like to show you how I made the decks.
As you may have already understood, this type of steamer does not have any superstructures on the topsides which are suitable for hiding the lids.
Those who do static modeling do not have the problem of lids at all. But dynamic modelers know well that access to change batteries or replace any broken parts must be guaranteed.
The superstructures are a holy hand, blessed is he who has them.

I used two overlapping sheets of plywood as seen in the drawing and as seen in the photos, so that the lids then fit together.
In practice I created a step on both the deck and the lid.
The lids will all be secured by wood screws. I found that screws are superfluous because the double stop allows for a very stable fit. I couldn't have known in advance.
The screws are not only screwed into plywood, which would be too thin and too fragile, but into a pre-threaded and very wooden sturdy support. The screw sockets are reinforced by small glued plastic funnels (perhaps a completely superfluous precaution).

Initially, as you can see from the comparison of the first photos with the last ones, I had foreseen (stupidly) many openings on the deck, but very small ones. It didn't take long for me to realize that so many openings would have ruined the deck slats even more and wouldn't have allowed me to even insert a hand into the hold of the model (which is damned small for everything it has to do).

However, once the double decks have been glued, the model is very robust.

Only the handrail is still very delicate but we will see later.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7f5J8TD1Zk[/MEDIA]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zK2rilCkJGw[/MEDIA]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgsgrPSu1ns[/MEDIA]

n.jpg

45n.jpg

scalino ponti.jpg

scalino ponti 2.jpg

565n.jpg

11135n.jpg

113245n.jpg

4367549.jpg

799n.jpg

tutto aperto2.jpg

tutto aperton.jpg

vitin.jpg

4367549.jpg

pap.jpg

This is quite a different build than a static model. A balancing act between the requirements for RC and the requirements to show her as being authentic. So far you're pulling that one off quite nicely...

Ciao a tutti i modellisti navali.
Nei primi video potete vedere alcune prove di assorbimento elettrico a basso numero di giri e senza impedimenti (a parte l'attrito di questo fluido che chiamiamo acqua).
Purtroppo non li ho documentati tutti. Prove motore, prove di vibrazione e prove timone a basso numero di giri.
Gli altri, con rotazioni forzate, non sono documentati ma, se volete credermi, si sono comportati abbastanza bene da indurmi a proseguire con la costruzione.
L'amperometro era protetto fino a 10 ampere poi è stato rimosso.
Naturalmente non fate caso al caos dei cavi, poi sono stati accorciati e disposti in ordine simmetrico.
I cavi più pesanti si trovano in basso nelle apposite guide pretagliate dei telai e quelli più piccoli sono posizionati lungo i quadri longitudinali di rinforzo.
Seguono i video delle prove a secco dell'elica e del timone.
Poi ci sono i video di altri test di stabilità laterale quasi a pieno carico.
In questo post vorrei mostrarvi anche come ho realizzato i ponti.
Come avrete già capito, questa tipologia di vaporiere non presenta sovrastrutture sulle murate atte a nascondere i coperchi.
Chi fa modellismo statico non ha affatto il problema dei coperchi. Ma i modellisti dinamici sanno bene che l’accesso per cambiare le batterie o sostituire eventuali parti rotte deve essere garantito.
Le sovrastrutture sono una mano santa, beato chi le possiede.
Ho utilizzato due fogli di compensato sovrapposti come si vede nel disegno e come si vede nelle foto, in modo che i coperchi poi si incastrino.
In pratica ho creato uno scalino sia sul deck che sul coperchio.
I coperchi saranno tutti fissati con viti per legno. Ho scoperto che le viti sono superflue perchè il doppio fermo permette una chiusura molto stabile.
Non potevo saperlo in anticipo.
Le viti non vengono solo avvitate nel compensato, che sarebbe troppo sottile e troppo fragile, ma in un supporto prefilettato e molto robusto in legno. Le sedi delle viti sono rinforzate da piccoli imbuti di plastica incollati (precauzione forse del tutto superflua).
Inizialmente, come potete vedere dal confronto delle prime foto con le ultime, avevo previsto (stupidamente) molte aperture sulla coperta, ma molto piccole. Non ci ho messo molto a capire che tante aperture avrebbero rovinato ancora di più i listelli della coperta e non mi avrebbero permesso di infilare nemmeno una mano nella stiva del modello (che è maledettamente piccolo per tutto quello che deve fare).
Tuttavia, una volta incollati i doppi piani, il modello risulta molto robusto.
Solo l'impavesata è ancora molto delicata ma lo vedremo più avanti.
Abbiate pazienza ancora molta parte dinamica ma presto verranno elementi prettamente di modellismo statico.

Hello to all naval modelers.

In the first videos you can see some tests of electrical absorption at low rpm and without impediments (apart from the friction of this fluid that we call water).
Unfortunately I haven't documented them all.
Engine tests, vibration tests and rudder tests at low rpm.
The others, with forced rotations, are not documented but, if you want to believe me, it performed well enough to induce me to continue with the construction.
The ammeter was protected up to 10 amps then it was removed.
Don't pay attention to the chaos of cables, of course, they were then shortened and arranged in symmetrical order. The heaviest cables are at the bottom in the special pre-cut guides of the frames and the smaller ones are positioned along the longitudinal reinforcement squares.

The videos of the dry tests of the propeller and rudder follow.

Then there are videos of other lateral stability tests almost at full load.

In this post I would also like to show you how I made the decks.
As you may have already understood, this type of steamer does not have any superstructures on the topsides which are suitable for hiding the lids.
Those who do static modeling do not have the problem of lids at all. But dynamic modelers know well that access to change batteries or replace any broken parts must be guaranteed.
The superstructures are a holy hand, blessed is he who has them.

I used two overlapping sheets of plywood as seen in the drawing and as seen in the photos, so that the lids then fit together.
In practice I created a step on both the deck and the lid.
The lids will all be secured by wood screws. I found that screws are superfluous because the double stop allows for a very stable fit. I couldn't have known in advance.
The screws are not only screwed into plywood, which would be too thin and too fragile, but into a pre-threaded and very wooden sturdy support. The screw sockets are reinforced by small glued plastic funnels (perhaps a completely superfluous precaution).

Initially, as you can see from the comparison of the first photos with the last ones, I had foreseen (stupidly) many openings on the deck, but very small ones. It didn't take long for me to realize that so many openings would have ruined the deck slats even more and wouldn't have allowed me to even insert a hand into the hold of the model (which is damned small for everything it has to do).

However, once the double decks have been glued, the model is very robust.

Only the handrail is still very delicate but we will see later.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7f5J8TD1Zk[/MEDIA]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zK2rilCkJGw[/MEDIA]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgsgrPSu1ns[/MEDIA]

View attachment 402165

View attachment 402166

View attachment 402167

View attachment 402168

View attachment 402169

View attachment 402170

View attachment 402171

View attachment 402172

View attachment 402173

View attachment 402174

View attachment 402175

View attachment 402176

View attachment 402177

View attachment 402178
The big test when theory and practice come together: she floats! Well done, Allessandro.
Regards, Peter

The big test when theory and practice come together: she floats! Well done, Allessandro.
Regards, Peter
Grazie Peter.
Si galleggia, meno male, almeno questo, ahaahahahahah.
In effetti non è poi così banale.
Anche la prova di stabilità è stata importante, ma quella deve essere ripetuta man mano, perchè molti altri oggetti/elementi costruttivi devono essere aggiunti sopra i decks e questo alzerà il baricentro. Poi vedremo.

Thanks Peter.
She floats, thank goodness, at least that, ahaahahahahah.
In fact, it's not that trivial.
The stability test was also important, but that must be repeated gradually, because many other objects/construction elements must be added above the decks and this will raise the center of gravity. We will see.

Bentrovati a tutti.

Le foto seguenti mostrano il rivestimento della coperta con listelli in legno di noce Tanganica (è un noce più chiaro).
I listelli di noce Tanganica sono larghi 3 mm e spessi 0,5 mm.
Per effettuare questa copertura ho proceduto come segue:
Li ho incollati alla coperta per tutta la loro lunghezza, partendo dal centro (cioè dalla mezzeria longitudinale della nave) e proseguendo verso le estremità.
Prima di incollare le strisce avevo il primo dilemma:
C'era una sola striscia al centro o due affiancate?
In altre parole, dovrei iniziare con una sola lamella al centro (la prima foto) e poi posizionare le altre accanto a sinistra e a destra? E quindi sarebbero stati un numero dispari? Oppure tracciare una linea centrale e posizionare i listelli accanto a sinistra e a destra? In questo modo il numero di strisce sarebbe pari.
Dopo numerose richieste di informazioni, visione di testi, immagini e video di navi dell'epoca, sono giunto alla conclusione che entrambe le strade erano valide.
Come potete vedere dalle foto ho scelto la seconda soluzione, il numero di strisce è pari.

Seguendo la mia ricerca storica, ho concluso che le tavole utilizzate erano lunghe all'incirca tra i 5 e i 6 metri. In scala 1/60 ciò significa listelli lunghi 90 mm. Logicamente non ho creato prima i pezzi da 90 mm per poi incollarli, ma ho intagliato con un piccolo scalpello l'intero listello, che si estendeva da prua a poppa. Ho seguito uno schema molto preciso (coerente con le informazioni storiche) di alternanza delle tavole. In realtà le estremità delle assi poggiavano sulle travi (in coincidenza con il “baglio”). Ho rispettato questa caratteristica anche sul modello.
Ho seguito la sequenza mostrata nello schema utilizzando un disegno realizzato su cartoncino.

Per gli spazi neri tra le strisce (che simulano la pece) ho usato semplicemente la matita (il nero è grafite). Alcuni modellisti utilizzano il cartoncino nero, come ho scoperto poi, ma non rimpiango il metodo utilizzato. Non ho ritenuto necessario riprodurre i chiodi nelle tavole, perché in realtà erano coperti da tappi di legno. Inoltre, in scala, sarebbero stati troppo piccoli per essere visti. Il risultato finale, una volta verniciato, è stato accettabile. Purtroppo i tagli provocati dall'apertura dei coperchi e delle viti ne hanno rovinato l'estetica. Ho provato a tagliare seguendo il disegno delle strisce ma non era garantita una buona chiusura, quindi ho rinunciato. Alla fine, ho praticato dei tagli netti lungo le aperture dei coperchi.

In alcune foto si vede il fumaiolo. Inizialmente è stato realizzato interamente con la stampante 3D (su un disegno che ho realizzato con Rhinoceros).
Quel pezzo si è deformato (leggermente curvato) a causa del calore, quindi l'ho buttato via e ho scelto un altro modo per costruirlo. Dopo è venuo molto meglio. Di questo sono molto soddisfatto, poi vedrete e giudicherete voi stessi. In abbinamento ai listelli della coperta, ho rinforzato tutto il corrimano con listelli di mogano e poi con listelli di noce tanganika nella parte interna. La posizione precisa del foro della cubia (il foro da cui passa la catena dell'ancora) ha richiesto ulteriori ricerche sui libri e su Internet. La cubia è in ottone, poi sarà colorata di blu come lo scafo.

Welcome everyone.

The following photos show the deck covering with Tanganyika walnut wood slats (it is a lighter walnut).
The Tanganyika walnut strips are 3 mm wide and 0.5 mm thick.

To carry out this coverage I proceeded as follows:
I glued them to the deck along their entire length, starting from the center (i.e. from the longitudinal centerline of the ship) and continuing towards the ends.

Before gluing the strips I had the first dilemma:
Was there a single strip in the center or two placed side by side?
In other words, should I start with a single slat in the center (the first photo) and then place the others next to it on the left and right? And so they would have been an odd number?
Or draw a central line and place the slats next to it on the left and right? In this way the number of strips would be even.
After many requests for information, viewing texts, images and videos of ships of the time, I came to the conclusion that both ways were valid.
As you can see from the photos I chose the second solution, the number of strips is even.

Following my historical research, I concluded that the boards used were roughly between 5 and 6 meters long. In 1/60 scale this means slats 90 mm long.
Logically, I didn't create the 90mm pieces first and then glue them, but I used a small chisel to carve the entire slats, which extended from bow to stern.
I followed a very precise design (consistent with historical information) of alternating the tables.
In reality the ends of the boards rested on the beams (coinciding with the "bulwark stanchion, stood, stay" "brackets").
I respected this feature on the model too.
I followed the sequence shown in the diagram using a drawing made on cardboard.

For the black spaces between the strips (which simulate pitch) I simply used pencil (black is graphite). Some model makers use black cardstock, as I later discovered, but I don't regret the method used. I think "calafataggio" says caulking.

I didn't feel it necessary to reproduce the nails in the boards, because in reality they were covered by wooden caps. Furthermore, in scale, they would have been too small to see.

The final result, once painted, was acceptable. Unfortunately, the cuts caused by opening the covers and screws ruined the aesthetics.

I tried to cut following the design of the strips but a good closure was not guaranteed, so I gave up. So, finally, I made clean cuts along the openings of the lids.

In some photos you can see the funnel. This was initially made entirely with the 3D printer (on a design I made with Rhinoceros).
That piece warped (curved slightly) from the heat, so I threw it away and chose another way to build it.
Afterwards it came out much better. I'm very satisfied with that, then you'll see and judge for yourselves.

In conjunction with the deck slats, I reinforced the entire handrail with mahogany slats and then with Tanganyika walnut slats on the inside.

The precise location of the hawse hole (the hole where the anchor chain passes through) required further research in books and the internet. The hawse hole is made of brass, then it will be colored blue like the hull.

l1n.jpg

l2n.jpg

l3n.jpg

l4n.jpg

l5n.jpg

l6n.jpg

l7n.jpg

l8n.jpg

l9n.jpg

l10n.jpg

l11n.jpg

l12n.jpg

l13n.jpg

l15n.jpg

l16.jpg

l17n.jpg

l18n.jpg

l19n.jpg

l19n.jpg

Last edited:
To me this looks like a well planned and expertly executed deck planking job!
My compliments.
The fact you are building an RC model unavoidably results in compromises, as is clearly shown in your pictures.
With respect to the deck plank nails; an awful lot has al already been written on this topic, here on SOS and probably elsewhere as well. My personal idea is that the larger the scale, the more realistic nails may look, pending one's execution of the job. 1:48 and below, doable; between roughly 1:48 and 1:72 for the more experienced and diehard modelers; beyond 1:72 only suitable for either masochists, the very talented modelers or instrument-/watchmakers.

To me this looks like a well planned and expertly executed deck planking job!
My compliments.
The fact you are building an RC model unavoidably results in compromises, as is clearly shown in your pictures.
With respect to the deck plank nails; an awful lot has al already been written on this topic, here on SOS and probably elsewhere as well. My personal idea is that the larger the scale, the more realistic nails may look, pending one's execution of the job. 1:48 and below, doable; between roughly 1:48 and 1:72 for the more experienced and diehard modelers; beyond 1:72 only suitable for either masochists, the very talented modelers or instrument-/watchmakers.
Ciao Johan grazie per i continui incoraggiamenti e complimenti.

Cercare argomenti specifici sul forum non è facile perchè è molto vasto.
Sul discorso dell'accuratezza in relazione alla scala del modello sono d'accordo con te.
Sui chiodi del tavolato, in particolare, volevo sapere prima la tua opinione, poi cercherò nel forum. Secondo te erano a vista oppure erano coperti da tappi di legno?
Io ho letto che erano coperti da tappi di legno e quindi non potrebbero essere visibili in un modello in scala, secondo te è vero?
In effetti, vedendo qualche video di tall ship non si notato chiodi alle etremità dei tavolati, però è difficile notarli.

Hi Johan, thanks for the continued encouragement and compliments.

Searching for specific topics on the forum is not easy because it is very vast.
On the issue of accuracy in relation to the scale of the model I agree with you.On the boarding nails, in particular, I wanted to know your opinion first, then I'll search the forum.
In your opinion, were they visible or were they covered by wooden caps?
I read that they were covered by wooden caps and therefore could not be visible in a scale model, do you think this is true?
In fact, watching some tall ship videos, you didn't notice any nails at the ends of the boards, but it's difficult to notice them.

Ciao Johan grazie per i continui incoraggiamenti e complimenti.

Cercare argomenti specifici sul forum non è facile perchè è molto vasto.
Sul discorso dell'accuratezza in relazione alla scala del modello sono d'accordo con te.
Sui chiodi del tavolato, in particolare, volevo sapere prima la tua opinione, poi cercherò nel forum. Secondo te erano a vista oppure erano coperti da tappi di legno?
Io ho letto che erano coperti da tappi di legno e quindi non potrebbero essere visibili in un modello in scala, secondo te è vero?
In effetti, vedendo qualche video di tall ship non si notato chiodi alle etremità dei tavolati, però è difficile notarli.

Hi Johan, thanks for the continued encouragement and compliments.

Searching for specific topics on the forum is not easy because it is very vast.
On the issue of accuracy in relation to the scale of the model I agree with you.On the boarding nails, in particular, I wanted to know your opinion first, then I'll search the forum.
In your opinion, were they visible or were they covered by wooden caps?
I read that they were covered by wooden caps and therefore could not be visible in a scale model, do you think this is true?
In fact, watching some tall ship videos, you didn't notice any nails at the ends of the boards, but it's difficult to notice them.
Hello Alessandro,

First of, by no means I'm knowledgeable about the art of shipbuilding, I'm sorry to disappoint you.
Furthermore, I came across a couple of pictures of the decks of the Cutty Sark. You might be rather spot on with your assumption that wooden plugs were used, at least, not a single fastener shows.
A few years back I visited the "Batavia" in the Netherlands, which is a replica of a merchant ship of the Dutch VOC. While nails could be identified in the floorboards when looking from a short distance, but looking from a bit further away however, it became harder to spot them.
What it boils down to is what you want to see on your model. Personally (also heavily based on the Cutty Sark pictures) I wouldn't invest a lot of time in adding the deck nails, but that's how I perceive them.

Hello Alessandro,

First of, by no means I'm knowledgeable about the art of shipbuilding, I'm sorry to disappoint you.
Furthermore, I came across a couple of pictures of the decks of the Cutty Sark. You might be rather spot on with your assumption that wooden plugs were used, at least, not a single fastener shows.
A few years back I visited the "Batavia" in the Netherlands, which is a replica of a merchant ship of the Dutch VOC. While nails could be identified in the floorboards when looking from a short distance, but looking from a bit further away however, it became harder to spot them.
What it boils down to is what you want to see on your model. Personally (also heavily based on the Cutty Sark pictures) I wouldn't invest a lot of time in adding the deck nails, but that's how I perceive them.
Grazie del tuo parere motivato, Johan.

Thanks for your reasoned opinion, Johan

Back