1682 HMY Fubbs 1:24 scale

Hello Ship Mates, The little fellows and I have built and installed a tint set of cross trees on the upper Mizzen Mast as we see in the painting that HMY Fubbs dose have one. We have built and installed the Mizzen Top Sail lift, the Top Sail Yard and all of it' blocks for rigging this yard. We have built a set of blocks and secured them to an eye bolt at the foot of the mast and secured the Halliard to a cleat on the lower mast. Regards Lawrence

Royal_Yachts,_one_Ketch_Rigged_and_one_Smack_Rigged,_by_L._De_Man_RMG_BHC0979.jpg

IMG_1037.JPG

IMG_1038.JPG

IMG_1044.JPG

Last edited:
Hello Ship Mates, Work continues with the rigging on our HMY Fubbs along with a lot of research. We have built and installed the Mizzen Top Sail Lift, And terminated the two halliards to a cleat on the ships bulkheads. We have built and installed the Mizzen Top Sail Braces and terminated there halliards to the foot of the Mizzen Mast. I do have a lot of loose ends but we will leave them long in case we do want to readjust any of them.
Regards Lawrence

IMG_1045.JPG

IMG_1046.JPG

IMG_1047.JPG

IMG_1048.JPG

IMG_1050.JPG

Hello Ship Mates, It has been a rather trying week here in the Old Ship Yard. Last Saturday I dropped my Dremel off my work bench hitting the top of my foot, oh it hurt but I figured that it glanced off my foot breaking the drill bit hitting the floor as we could see no sine of it in my foot. Tuesday I had Cataract done on my left eye. that went great the only trouble is the anesthesia how I felt. I said like a fiddle string. very tense. bad mistake as it took me three days to get over it. On Wednesday I felt a picking in my slipper and found my broken drill bit working out of my foot, So I garbed a pair of plies and slowly pulled it out of my foot, it was a .026" or 0.68mm dia. and a full 3/4" or 19mm long.
My Admiral and I have been working on the sails and she has sewn up the lower Lateen sail, she is not all that pleased with it, but then again I believe that it is not all that bad. Tomorrow I will start to install it on my HMY Fubbs.
Regards Lawrence

IMG_1056.JPG

Hello Ship Mates, It has been a rather trying week here in the Old Ship Yard. Last Saturday I dropped my Dremel off my work bench hitting the top of my foot, oh it hurt but I figured that it glanced off my foot breaking the drill bit hitting the floor as we could see no sine of it in my foot. Tuesday I had Cataract done on my left eye. that went great the only trouble is the anesthesia how I felt. I said like a fiddle string. very tense. bad mistake as it took me three days to get over it. On Wednesday I felt a picking in my slipper and found my broken drill bit working out of my foot, So I garbed a pair of plies and slowly pulled it out of my foot, it was a .026" or 0.68mm dia. and a full 3/4" or 19mm long.
My Admiral and I have been working on the sails and she has sewn up the lower Lateen sail, she is not all that pleased with it, but then again I believe that it is not all that bad. Tomorrow I will start to install it on my HMY Fubbs.
Regards Lawrence

View attachment 469970
Hopefully all the eye and foot troubles will be over soon, Lawrence. The sail is looking very nice. When installing you will know if the fit is right. Then you will have all the time to compliment your Admiral.:)
Regards, Peter

Hopefully all the eye and foot troubles will be over soon, Lawrence. The sail is looking very nice. When installing you will know if the fit is right. Then you will have all the time to compliment your Admiral.:)
Regards, Peter
Hello Peter, I thank you for your very kind words and overly nice compliments. Yes last week was very difficult and painful, seams that I am over the worst of it now. Will try to install this sail today My Admiral Bernadette dose have the Mizzen Top Sail all sewed up and it dose look great, now if the fitting is right she is finished her job. This sure makes things much easier for me.
Regards Lawrence

Taking this opportunity, I would like to ask the same question about footroup on crossjack yard:

- why is it (the footroup) needed there anyway?

- and at that time the footroups were already installed on the mizzen, and especially on small vessels?

IMG_1037.jpg

Taking this opportunity, I would like to ask the same question about footroup on crossjack yard:

- why is it (the footroup) needed there anyway?

- and at that time the footroups were already installed on the mizzen, and especially on small vessels?

View attachment 470074
Hello Archi, I thank you for your very conserved question. Yes I do not mind re-dos at all I believe it is just one of the joys of model ship building. The Cross Jack Foot Ropes I enclose a picture out of Lennarth Peterson's book Period Ship Models, also a painting of the HMY FUBBS, she dose appear to have foot ropes on her Cross Jack Yard. From all of my searching I can find no written documentation on the HMY Fubbs. I have also attached a picture from James Lees, showing a Mizzen Cross Jack Foot Ropes. These are the reason that I have given my HMY Fubbs Foot Ropes. I Believe the Mizzen Foot Ropes would have made setting or repairing the Top Sail much easier, Like I say there is no set of rules for the sails or rigging on the HMY Fubbs. That book the Mare Liberum Apertum looks very interesting, where did you ever come across it?
Thanks for your questions, I hope that I have answered them all to the best of my ability's. Do not hesitate to ask if you have any further concerns.
Regards Lawrence

CROSS JACK.jpg

Royal_Yachts,_one_Ketch_Rigged_and_one_Smack_Rigged,_by_L._De_Man_RMG_BHC0979.jpg

IMG_4516  Sails.JPG

As far as I know, the footroup was used for work with a sail suspended on this yard, at least for the 17th century. And I read books: Charles Anderson The Rigging of Ships, where all this is mentioned. But never mind, the same can be done this way.

As far as I know, the footropes was used for work with a sail suspended on this yard, at least for the 17th century. And I read books: Charles Anderson The Rigging of Ships, where all this is mentioned. But never mind, the same can be done this way.
Hello Archi, Thanks for your understanding, it sure is a guessing game to try to get things right as they were way back then when this sort of things were never documented. Very much the same as the 1922 Bluenose and that was only 102 years ago.
Regards Lawrence

Last edited:
Hello Ship Mates, My Admiral has finished working on the Mizzen Top Sail, here I have clamped it on the yard to see how it fits and we are quite pleased. This sail I will hold off installing until she has the lower Lateen sail completed.
Regards Lawrence

View attachment 470531
Good afternoon Lawrence. Some “exciting “ few days you had - cataract, “drilling”your left ;) foot and a sail redo. Seriously tho Lawrence, I hope your eye and foot are healing and not giving you any pain. When Bernadette says it’s a redo it’s a redo. The top sail looks great:D. Cheers Grant

Good afternoon Lawrence. Some “exciting “ few days you had - cataract, “drilling”your left ;) foot and a sail redo. Seriously tho Lawrence, I hope your eye and foot are healing and not giving you any pain. When Bernadette says it’s a redo it’s a redo. The top sail looks great:D. Cheers Grant
Hello Grant, Thank you very much for your very kind words and overly nice comments.. The eye is much better, no glasses as yet, and it was my right foot that got hit with the falling drill, yes it is still very sour.
Yes Bernadette has been very busy, as she has completed the re-do Lateen Sail and I have started to install it, I think it looks much better than the first one. We have left off the Reef Band and Points as they sort of looked out of place.
Regards Lawrence

Hello Ship Mates, My Admiral Bernadette finished the Lateen Sail and the little fellows and I have installed it. We have laced the sail to the Lateen Spar, added the Vang Tackle, added the Sheet Tackle and also the Bunting Lines. We are unable to terminate these lines as our cleats have not arrived as yet.

IMG_1064.JPG

IMG_1063.JPG

IMG_1060.JPG

IMG_1059.JPG

Hello Ship Mates, My Admiral Bernadette finished the Lateen Sail and the little fellows and I have installed it. We have laced the sail to the Lateen Spar, added the Vang Tackle, added the Sheet Tackle and also the Bunting Lines. We are unable to terminate these lines as our cleats have not arrived as yet.

View attachment 470909

View attachment 470910

View attachment 470911

View attachment 470912
Your admiral does a lot for you, Lawrence. You must cherish her with great care.
Regards, Peter

That does look better Lawrence. My admiration to Bernadette for her skill, and your combined persistence to get it looking right.
Hello Paul Thanks a lot for your very kind words. Yes Bernadette is very proud of her sails and does not mind at all if there is a re-do or two. I try also to get as many details as possible to the best of my ability, not always the best or correct but we do try.
Regards Lawrence

Your admiral does a lot for you, Lawrence. You must cherish her with great care.
Regards, Peter
Hello Peter, Yes and she volunteers when ever she can help. It is a joy to see her showing of my ships and as she say's { I made those sails. } We do get along fairly well looking after one another.
Regards Lawrence

Back