Piroscaf 28-foot Steam Cutter (1876) in scale 1:24 by Piroscaf Scale Models

This is due to the high temperature. The applicator does not give this effect. Only a longer process. But we've been doing this for 10 years.
Has anyone else used isopropyl alcohol as I do at room temps, only a minute or so is sufficient and the alcohol doesn't cause the wood fibers to swell and dries very quickly?? Just wondering as It has worked better for me than hot water or steaming but thickness or width may be a factor. Rich (PT-2_

HI RICH I HAVE BECOME AN ADVOCATE FOR THE USE OF THE SOLDERING IRON FOR ADHESION, ESPECIALLY AT THE BOW AND STERN WHERE CLAMPING HAS BEEN A PROBLEM FOR ME, I AM NOT TALKING ABOUT PLANK BENDING BUT QUICK ADHESION AND I MEAN QUICK I AM NOW EXPERIMENTING WITH THICKER PLANKS USING THIS METHOD, IT REALLY WORKS CHECK OUT HEINRICHS LEUDO LOG HERE . GOD BLESS STAY SAFE YOU AND YOURS DON

HI RICH I HAVE BECOME AN ADVOCATE FOR THE USE OF THE SOLDERING IRON FOR ADHESION, ESPECIALLY AT THE BOW AND STERN WHERE CLAMPING HAS BEEN A PROBLEM FOR ME, I AM NOT TALKING ABOUT PLANK BENDING BUT QUICK ADHESION AND I MEAN QUICK I AM NOW EXPERIMENTING WITH THICKER PLANKS USING THIS METHOD, IT REALLY WORKS CHECK OUT HEINRICHS LEUDO LOG HERE . GOD BLESS STAY SAFE YOU AND YOURS DON
Don, I have done a search for Heinrich Leudo build log but don't know where to find the plank adhesion one that you recommend. I need to see that and learn what I can to use.
Thanks for the lead. Rich (PT-2)

Don, I have done a search for Heinrich Leudo build log but don't know where to find the plank adhesion one that you recommend. I need to see that and learn what I can to use.
Thanks for the lead. Rich (PT-2)
Hey Rich, you most likely missed Dmitry's (Piroscaf) Video Tutorial. It is in Russian but you can understand. However, if you in doubt and need clarification, I will try explain

Thanks. Is that the toaster one? I'll go take a look. RIch
I am watching it now. What is the clear adhesive that he is brushing on, liberally it appears? That is special foot on his iron to heat and work down the planks, not what I was thinking about with a soldering iron as mine has a small pointed tip. Makes me wonder if I loosen the screw on my electric plank bender if I can get or improvise a similar foot on a rod to screw in. Maybe using a large gauge copper rod/wire hammered out to flatten it a give it the golf club bend. Please clarify this two or three steps of adheasing and ironing the planks. Rich (PT-2)

I am watching it now. What is the clear adhesive that he is brushing on, liberally it appears? That is special foot on his iron to heat and work down the planks, not what I was thinking about with a soldering iron as mine has a small pointed tip. Makes me wonder if I loosen the screw on my electric plank bender if I can get or improvise a similar foot on a rod to screw in. Maybe using a large gauge copper rod/wire hammered out to flatten it a give it the golf club bend. Please clarify this two or three steps of adheasing and ironing the planks. Rich (PT-2)
Rich, the glue is regular PVA (white glue). It has to be transparent when dry. The 'foot' comes with that tool, but as you mentioned, you can be made your own and inserted in the soldering iron, instead of the soldering tip. I like the size of that tool Dmitriy show, but that sells in Russia.

Rich, the glue is regular PVA (white glue). It has to be transparent when dry. The 'foot' comes with that tool, but as you mentioned, you can be made your own and inserted in the soldering iron, instead of the soldering tip. I like the size of that tool Dmitriy show, but that sells in Russia.
Is the White Glue watered down Elmers Multi-purpose glue all?? I don't see PVA on the container. RIch

Is the White Glue watered down Elmers Multi-purpose glue all?? I don't see PVA on the container. RIch
Most white glue brands are PVA based. On the video, I believe it is a Titebond, He squeezes it from the bottle and used a toothpick as an applicator. The glue is not watered down, straight from the bottle.

Most white glue brands are PVA based. On the video, I believe it is a Titebond, He squeezes it from the bottle and used a toothpick as an applicator. The glue is not watered down, straight from the bottle.
time to go shopping tomorrow for some as well as a piece of 6 ga copper wire to hammer out. Thanks, Rich

RICH, AS YOU HAVE BEEN IN TOUCH WITH HEINRICH, SEND HIM A PM HE WILL RESPOND AND EXPLAIN BETTER THEN I CAN,,,,I WILL POST A PICTURE OF MY SET UP I USED A WALL MART SOLDERING IRON THE HEADS I PURCHASED FROM KOLDERSTOCK MODELS, EXPENSIVE FOR THE 2 HGEADS BUT WORTH THE MONEY AS FAR AS I AM CONCERNED THEY FIT GRAT ON THE WALL MART SOLDERING IRON EASY TO USE. GOD BLESS STAY SAFE YOU AND YOURS DON

RICH, AS YOU HAVE BEEN IN TOUCH WITH HEINRICH, SEND HIM A PM HE WILL RESPOND AND EXPLAIN BETTER THEN I CAN,,,,I WILL POST A PICTURE OF MY SET UP I USED A WALL MART SOLDERING IRON THE HEADS I PURCHASED FROM KOLDERSTOCK MODELS, EXPENSIVE FOR THE 2 HGEADS BUT WORTH THE MONEY AS FAR AS I AM CONCERNED THEY FIT GRAT ON THE WALL MART SOLDERING IRON EASY TO USE. GOD BLESS STAY SAFE YOU AND YOURS DON
I bought some 6 ga copper wire to put into my bending iron after hammering parts of it into various shapes. I'll see how the first one works out before making any orders. Thanks, Rich (PT-2)

It is best to steam in turpentine. But the process is specific. If it is simple, then wet it with hot water and steam it.
Rich (PT-2) is still using the isopropyl alcohol which is very easy and gives some adjustment time and limberness to the wood as it cools from the prior heat shaping and the glue begins to set.

Rich (PT-2) is still using the isopropyl alcohol which is very easy and gives some adjustment time and limberness to the wood as it cools from the prior heat shaping and the glue begins to set.
because of the coronovirus, isopropyl alcohol has increased in price by 10 times :)

Back