74 Gun Vasseau by Jean Boudriot from Ancre'

Well Dead Flats area finished that 14 down 46 ish to go. Took a few hours off to explain some stuff to Raymond on Join Me today but taking a short break and back at it I still have 1 more day off. work wants me to work on a remodel job starting next week til april so it is mon-fri 7-4 with weekends off so wont be too bad no overtime and evenings to draw

74 Gun -94.png

The frames look great Buddy. Thanks for the tutorial and the video links, I now have a better understanding on the use of the program and what the information on the body plan means. I do have questions about the eDrawings application I have downloaded. Do I only have, "View Only" privileges or can I draft frames myself? Also, if I cannot, how much does the program cost to draft my own frames?
Raymond

its free and it is only for viewing files I send made by solidworks. you need to install the solidworks download to draw the eviewer is only for viewing. and I am still drawing with video on lol

today I got the individual aft poop deck stations made, next is the quarterdeck stations. this takes a while as before I can make the stations I have to make the planes. I will break them into individual parts later but I have put the planes in place for those parts so it will be tons faster later.

remember 18 parts x 2 planes each part so 36 dimensions to transfer per double frame x 11 frames or 396 dimensions and planes I had to do just to do the poop deck stations.

so 684 planes and dimensions for the quarterdeck. that is why the hull is the slowest drawing part on the ship as it has the most PIA dimensions and planes to make.

74 Gun -95.png

74 Gun -96.png

trimmed down the dead flats and got a few of the quarterdeck frames made. the next night or two I will just mainly be making drawing planes as I still have a couple hundred or so more to do. plus with going back to work and getting home at 1230 in the morning not much time to draw.

so after I get the aft frames made I still have to break them down into parts, draw the rising wood (Hog), loft the very aft and make my fashion pieces, build up the transom.

Once that is all finished I will definatley start cutting wood while I start on the bow area loft. I just dont want to start cutting and glueing til I had enough of the aft section there so that it is sturdy and not flimsy where I keep breaking things off as I work on the bow stuff.

This french stuff is so different than the British I also want to make sure I understand it before I start tearing into my wood as cherry and walnut can get expensive as the cherry I have to buy, the walnut I have a limited supply of and its is 7 bucks a board foot which when you start machining it down there a lot of expensive sawdust. It isn't too bad only been messing round for a couple weeks so not like I been procrastinating.

74 Gun -97.png74 Gun -98.png

It's looking real good Buddy. I still have to keep tweaking the download but hopefully soon I can start drafting my own work.
Ray

Hey guys so was getting situated as I am doing a remodel for Walmart and running the warehouse so this was week 0 and I had to get the warehouse set up and recieve a billion trucks of parts to fill the warehouse, thus didnt feel like doing any drawing. so now that is all done I am going to try and finish up the rest of the aft frames tonight.

BTW I got my new camera in Monday it is a Nikon D3500 DSLR with a bunch of lenses etc so I can take nice ship photos now.

Here is a few pics I took during the week
Sunset Test-02-1.jpg

Misc-01.jpgMisc-02.jpg

Misc-08.jpg

Sunset Test-12-1.jpgSunset Test-13-1.jpg

The details your new camera picks up is amazing. I especially like the one with the wood as you can see all of its grains with a nice compliment of light and dark colors.

Ray

A short additional information for everybody interested in the Boudriot books from ancre:

In the meantime the Book reviews of all four Volumes of

THE 74-Gun SHIP / THE SEVENTY-FOUR GUN SHIP
A Practical Treatise on the Art of Naval Architecture

by Jean Boudriot

Content:

plus the related planset Review in scale 1:48

is now finished.

For everybody who is interested in this masterpiece of documentation and cornerstone of most of the ancre (and Gerard Delacroix) publications, please take a look:
(please click on the title to get redirected to the different Reviews with "Look Inside":

THE 74-GUN SHIP - Volume 1 - HULL CONSTRUCTION

THE 74-GUN SHIP - Volume 2 - FITTING OUT THE HULL

THE 74-GUN SHIP - Volume 3 - MASTS - SAILS - RIGGING

THE 74-GUN SHIP - Volume 4 - MANNING / SHIPHANDLING

Planset THE 74-GUN SHIP in scale 1:48 (or 1:72)

I can really highly recommend this set of Volumes!!

https://ancre.fr/en/

Back