Amerigo Vespucci, Panart 1:84 scale

Awesome photos, Ken! I am always fascinated with great shots. So you are the Master photographer as well as the shipwright.

Reactions: Ken
Ken, I have been to your part of the world a few times in the last few years, staying near you at Leasome Castle hotel just a couple of miles away. It's a beautiful coastline and a wonderful place to walk along the beach and breakwater. I didn't make it there this year due to COVID, however.

Jeff

Ken, I have been to your part of the world a few times in the last few years, staying near you at Leasome Castle hotel just a couple of miles away. It's a beautiful coastline and a wonderful place to walk along the beach and breakwater. I didn't make it there this year due to COVID, however.

Jeff
Hi Jeff. Next time your here feel free to give me a message and if you like we could meet up.

Ken

Hi, Nothing to show yet on the boat building but here’s something of interest.

We acquired a German U boat which has been re furbished and altered for public viewing. This was the last U boat to be sunk and a mystery surrounds it as it was sunk after the war had ended.

U534 was seen by a seaplane leaving Danish waters after the war had ended and heading out to the north Atlantic. The aircraft closed to investigate and was fired upon by the U-boat killing the co pilot/navigator. This was a big mistake as the pilot was an experienced anti submarine veteran and the aircraft was carrying depth charges, he made an attack and sunk the U-boat.

It was not known or discovered why the boat was sneaking out, or who and what was aboard. It was suspected that high ranking Nazis or maybe their gold was at the heart of it.

I think it was in the 90s that a salvage team was put together after finding it, to raise it which they succeeded in doing. They found nothing to solve the mystery and just left it in a field next to an old dock near to where I live it stayed there rusting until funds were raised to refurbish and display it. You would not believe how cramped the living/working space is, I don't know how anyone could cope especially taking into account the high tension.

I took a picture of it, you’ll notice the hull damage from the depth charges.

submarine 1.jpg

submarine 2.jpg

Last edited:
Hello. Again thanks for your likes.

As I mentioned I have started the ships boats. I’m making good progress, they’re fiddly but not difficult. They are the usual plank on frame, the frames at the moment are very fragile, I’ve broken quite a few ribs already and found it necessary to brace them in places. The planks are .5 x 3mm and once glued in make for a fairly strong structure. I needn’t explain any technique as there isn’t one. I think that the photo explains my progress.

On another note, I usually do a lesser project between major builds, I was discussing this with a good friend who likes models but doesn’t build them, ( he has my Victory and I built him the Titanic, shown in the gallery ). I showed him Peters Ducati build and he couldn’t resist ordering one for himself, he has the full size one, ( ENVY ) and to have an Italian design display he asked me to build him the Amati Riva runabout launch which I have agreed to. He works in the making and fitting of windows and in return he is going to make me a glass display case for my A.V. a good trade off.

Ken

003.jpg

004.jpg

005.jpg

_M0W2792.JPG

When you start the Riva, please do not forget to start also a building log to show us your work - It is such a beautiful classic sport boat

Riva and Lamborghini, two iconic Italian names that need no introduction

On another note, I usually do a lesser project between major builds, I was discussing this with a good friend who likes models but doesn’t build them, ( he has my Victory and I built him the Titanic, shown in the gallery ). I showed him Peters Ducati build and he couldn’t resist ordering one for himself, he has the full size one, ( ENVY ) and to have an Italian design display he asked me to build him the Amati Riva runabout launch which I have agreed to. He works in the making and fitting of windows and in return he is going to make me a glass display case for my A.V. a good trade off.
View attachment 199026
Hi Ken,
That’s a friend you have to keep as a friend!
And great you will help each other. The Runabout is a nicely shaped Italian.
I'm honored that you showed him my Ducati-buildOkay.
Regards, Peter

Ken, whenever I open your log it is an overload of senses. The submarine (let's not even get into that), the ship's boats (they sure do seem fiddly) and then, of course that beautiful Riva Lamborghini. BUT ... I have to ask you - do you have pictures of the refurbished submarine and the interior?

Hello Heinrich, U534 was donated to the Mersey Ferries who have made it into a sort of museum piece next to the ferry landing stage. It is in a very confined space and taking a decent photo is almost impossible. You can see it on their web site, Mersey Ferries, Birkenhead U Boat Experience, it gives you a brief history of the boat as well. They have some pictures of it but I think by cleaning it up and altering it for public viewing has sanitised it and taken away its sinister appearance, I much prefer my version of it.

Ken

Good point Ken. In SA we preserved the Assegai - a 1967 Daphne class Diesel-Electric, but the interior has been kept exactly as it was.

Hi, Just a quick update, a couple more pictures of the boats.

I've had a good look at the Riva kit and I'm very impressed, I've photographed it ready to start a log. Having caressed it, smelt it and pored over it as you do with a new kit the senses have been awoken. It's a good job that I'm nearly at the end of my AV build because I'm tempted to start and there lies the road to certain madness. I've vowed to myself NEVER have two builds on the go, but surely just a little dry fit can't do any harm!

Ken

006.jpg

007.jpg

This is an unbelievable amount of detail. I had at one time thinking of buying this kit, but the amount of metalwork is fascinating but also a little intimidating at the same time. Excellent workmanship.

Hi Folks. Thanks for those likes. Here's another short pictorial update. As you can see I've had a sort of production line going on the row boats and here's the result.

I'm now going to give myself more work to do. This afternoon I'll make a start on a build log of the Amati Riva, not any building just yet but just an introduction to the kit.

007.jpg

014.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Folks. Thanks for those likes. Here's another short pictorial update. As you can see I've had a sort of production line going on the row boats and here's the result.

I'm now going to give myself more work to do. This afternoon I'll make a start on a build log of the Amati Riva, not any building just yet but just an introduction to the kit.

View attachment 200587

View attachment 200588
Size does matters!
Nice work Ken.
Regards, Peter

Hello Everyone, Again just a quick update on the progress of the boats. This time it's the cutter that hangs from the stern.
I would like to wish all those who are following my build a merry Xmas and a happy new year.

003.jpg

013.jpg

307.jpg

Last edited:
Back