BALDER, Vlaardingen Herring Lugger from 1912, scratch build scale 1:50 Plate-On-Frame

Thanks, Maarten. It where some ‘fingers-crossed’ moments with often a check-check double-check.
For now 9 days on the bike. Now in the Morvan, tomorrow to the Auvergne for the next 3 days.
Regards, Peter
I feel a finish on top of Puy de Dome approaching, we look forward to the pictures :cool:

It took some time to provide all connections with rivets:
0256 Klink.jpg
They have a very dominant presence in black and white.

But how a few hours of work with the airbrush gives the bow a completely different look:
0257 Paint-1.jpg
Now that they are temporarily out of the construction molds, I could also take photos that show the hull shape. And immediately play with the light through the frames.

Stripped of all frills:
0258 Paint-2.jpg
The rivets are now much more subtle. The waterways will later be sprayed black.

2 photos with the details of, among other things, the rivets.
The frames with their pre-drilled holes on which the hull plates are riveted (but not on this side) and the retaining frames that are meticulously riveted:
0259 Klink-1.jpg
But with slanting light and zoomed in, the images become unforgivable. But all in all it's not that bad.

The inside:
0260 Klink-2.jpg
The light is determined for the appearance and how you can see details.
Then I can now start working on frames 32 to 15 and the next watertight bulkhead 14.
Regards, Peter

Last edited:
I have been waiting for the day when we could see her in gray! Magnificent!
The realism jumps out at me, like I am looking at grey steel!
Thanks Paul and Daniel.
And your you the first view of the picture of the hull shape I forgot to post:
0261 Hull.jpg
There is still some flexibility here and there, but there will be a solution for that.
And a few frames will get a better connection to the keel.
Regards, Peter

Last edited:
Oh...Yeah... an update many of us waiting for. You are a master of rivets and the entire work associated with them! The last photo is just shows what a man capable of when desire meets the skills! Bravo, mon ami!
Thanks, Jim. Indeed, it took 'some time', but I also could not wait for this paint job. And the outcome is in line with my thoughts when I started with the test builds.
Regards, Peter

In some photos it is more visible than in others, but it seems as if the distance between all frames is not the same. That's right!
The line plan that I used to draw the trusses in Fushion 360 lists the different distances between the frames:
0262 Spacesjpg.jpg
The 2 blue lines represent both watertight bulkheads.
I have accentuated the size at the bottom.
Regards, Peter

Thanks Paul and Daniel.
And your you the first view of the picture of the hull shape I forgot to post:
View attachment 451126
There is still some flexibility here and there, but there will be a solution for that.
And a few frames will get a better connection to the keel.
Regards, Peter
Those riveteers must possess an uninterrupted source of patience...

Back