BALDER, Vlaardingen Herring Lugger from 1912, scratch build scale 1:50 Plate-On-Frame

Those riveteers must possess an uninterrupted source of patience...
That where also my thoughts. One by one, first in the fire to heat, then push them into place with pliers and then tighten them piece by piece. Without advanced hearing protectors, as is now mandatory in accordance with the Working Conditions Act. And not to forget to make first all the holes ……. o_O

What a testament to the hours of work, skill, experience and enginuity required for the design and realization of the most prosaic of vessels: a herring trawlerExclamation-Mark
Thanks for this very nice words, Peter. I am also starting to appreciate the ship more and more. A real working vessel.
Allow me to write this about ‘a herring trawler’: A trawler is a fishing vessel that fishes with a funnel-shaped net (English: trawl). It are the more ‘modern vessels’.
The Balder was still a lugger, fishing with a long standing net.
There where sailing luggers who used the trawl, but it worked better with the steam ships. They had more power to use that type of fish nets in deeper water.
Regards, Peter

Last edited:
Thanks for this very nice words, Peter. I am also starting to appreciate the ship more and more. A real working vessel.
Allow me to write this about ‘a herring trawler’: A trawler is a fishing vessel that fishes with a funnel-shaped net (English: trawl). It are the more ‘modern vessels’.
The Balder was still a lugger, fishing with a long standing net.
There where sailing luggers who used the trawl, but it worked better with the steam ships. They had more power to use that type of fish nets in deeper water.
Regards, Peter
I cheerfully stand corrected and edified! Thanks for sharing your working knowledge of such matters!

Hey Peter,

Nice that we spoke again, as usual it was very pleasant and informative.

Very nice to see your Balder live.

We were very impressed by your craftsmanship.

Regards
De Haasjes.
Indeed, it was very pleasant today, Henk. Also with your Titanic and Johan with the ‘Spin’. Thanks for your and your Admiral for your hospitality.
Regards, Peter

It is actually not a new change of the plan, but rather bringing a part of it forward.
In view of the meeting in Amsterdam on September 28, I would like to show some of my plans and therefore the design in the port side.
Then I first have to spray paint some parts black:
0263 Afplakken.jpg
The result after an hour of cutting and pasting.
The waterways, the sketch plate at the front and the raised edges of the hatches, lights and access are taped off.
Let's see if I have some time for spraying tomorrow.
Regards, Peter

Back