Black Pearl 1:50 ZHL All-Scenario version

I like your unique way of presenting your work it's going to be very special when it's finished. I fitted my rudder quite early in the build so I didn't have to keep turning it upside down, I also made it fixed to make it stronger.

I did that, but it fell off once. I should have done it a little better. Also, if you bang into it, you could break it. I believe @dockattner put on a clip on his rudder to protect his. It's your choice. I think I should have waited.E7FD1101-436D-4168-9F17-8F549985E021.jpegAE95F563-A153-4605-9282-2E5A131BFABD.jpeg

Last edited:
I didn't have any trouble installing the hinges and attaching my rudder with the ship in the upright position. I did not use the kit hinges though. If I were to do it over again I would wait until the finish on the hull is done to attach the rudder. I would install the rudder approximately as the last step of the first instruction book. Just before doing all the main deck rails and details etc . That is based on the idea that I would complete the finish on the hull, at that time. In my mind at that point the rough housing with the hull needs to stop to protect the rails etc so might as well put the rudder on.

BTW I love the way you did the different canons.

Mates, thank you for all the great input! I’ll probably wait until the very end of the 1st Pole to install the rudder!...when I apply final finishes to the hull and before I start Pole 2

Last edited:
Captain's Log ~~~ June 19, 2021
Build time today: 0 hours
Total build time: 199 hours
Construction for the Black Pearl (All-Scenario version)

Build guidelines: Mates, our voyage has reached a new, uncharted territory. We have spent almost two months and 140 hours since we glued down the gun deck. Now, we have completed all the puppets, accessories, guns, etc., for this deck, and two skins of planking along with all the electrical work for the switches and lights that allow us to secure the fore, main and aft decks. Along the way, we sailed away from following the 1st Pole Steps in sequence. There are 268 steps for us to plot on this 1st Pole voyage. I estimate we completed: Steps 1-140, 147-156, 163-186, 246-258. With 186 Steps of 268 completed, we are 69% through the 1st Pole.

Here's a final look at some of the Steps we sailed before closing up the gun deck:

1.JPG2.JPG

I finished the ladder and placed it in position. I decided to put a permanent Pirate (ZHL calls them puppets) in place.

3.JPG4.JPG

I tied some rope to the iron grates so they can be removed. Since, I wanted to make this a very visual model, its kind of neat to be able to look down from the main deck and see what's on the lower deck. I'll place some ornaments, barrels etc...once finished. Since they're not glued in...I can remove one or all three....for viewing below. Just reach in with some tweezers from the open Starboard side for access.

5.jpg

I placed five hammocks here and glued in all the guns and accessories on the Port side since they will be permanently placed. I did put ramrods, crowbars, and shot with each gun except for the two guns fore and aft that are not really visible. I'm saving whatever buckets and small kegs of powder that I have left for the main deck and for a couple of the guns on this deck (center view Portside)

6.jpg7.jpg

Any seven guns from the Starboard gun deck and ten guns from the main deck will be able to be removed for display on the base which will hold the guns I choose to remove for display purposes. Currently, eight guns are spaced for display on the small kit base. I may add a base layer underneath this supported my four small rum bottles and a treasure chest with jewels, gold coins and other accents....not sure yet....will do that when the time comes.

8.jpg

I supported the puppets and guns with toothpicks so they can be moved around without falling over.
I threw a coat of stain on the main deck and the base.....lo and behold mates, at this point I wasn't thinking I had to plank the main deck because the lower and gun decks did not require planking. That's why I stained the main deck with golden oak stain. So, I look into my 1st Pole parts box and I see all these walnut strips that have not been used. The light goes off and thanks to Jodie and Vic, I was led out of a stormy fog and into calm water. Yes, I have to lay the planks on the fore, main and aft deck (which is the floor of the Captain's Quarters)

9.jpg
10.jpg

These are some of the characters and accessories that are in resin that need to be painted. Not sure how many I'll use but I usually use a toothpick and a fine brush to hand paint these items with a water based acrylic paint. Here's a few characters along with some food stuffs:

11.JPG12.jpg13.JPG

Drum roll please:
The main deck is in.....along with aft floor of the Captain's Quarters. Also, fitting in the fore deck and looking ahead with how the railings will go.

14.JPG15.JPG
16.JPG

So, next week mates we will finish up placing Parts N1-N13 (Steps 145 & 146) Then we can plank the three decks, fore, main and aft.....and finish the fore deck by placing (3) Parts 29 to the fore deck, Steps 141-144.

17.JPG

Well mates, it's Shore leave time again as the weekend is upon us. RELAX, ENJOY, and STAY SAFE!
Ahoy all,
Rick

Last edited:
Hi Rick very interesting to see all the internal details, looking forward to see what you've got planned for the captain's quarters.
I don’t want to overthink things but who ever heard of a a Captain’s Quarters without a bed? Perhaps a Murphy bed or bunk bed is in play or some type of mattress and frame that can attach to a closet? I was thinking to make my own rectangular dining table that could flip over to a bed on the underside. A fancy rug? Some maps? A ghostly image of Jack Sparrow? A switch to turn the Captain’s Quarter’s lights on-off! A telescope? All items a possibility!

Last edited:
I don’t want to overthink things but who ever heard of a a Captain’s Quarters without a bed? Perhaps a Murphy bed or bunk bed is in play or some type of mattress and frame that can attach to a closet? I was thinking to make my own rectangular dining table that could flip over to a bed on the underside. A fancy rug? Some maps? A ghostly image of Jack Sparrow? A switch to turn the Captain’s Quarter’s lights on-off! A telescope? All items a possibility!
Perhaps a couch with a trundle bed? Or would he sleep in a hammock, like the rest of the crew?

Perhaps a couch with a trundle bed? Or would he sleep in a hammock, like the rest of the crew?
Vic, I like your idea! Since the cabin has limited space and with two guns taking up floor space, the trundle is a good bet! I’ll work on an idea of widening the three-sided perimeter of the cabin and make one part of it wider for a bed! Also, plan to go with a picnic style table, it flips over and the underneath side has a treasure map!

I was thinking about using fiber optics to make candles for the table and around the outside shelves. I used colored fibers to put christmas lights on a 1:160 scale N-scale house. It would be pretty easy to run the fibers from an existing led. I just decided I wasn't going to put that much time into it I still work 50 hours a week.

I was thinking about using fiber optics to make candles for the table and around the outside shelves. I used colored fibers to put christmas lights on a 1:160 scale N-scale house. It would be pretty easy to run the fibers from an existing led. I just decided I wasn't going to put that much time into it I still work 50 hours a week.
Yeah Jodie, there comes a point when you say to yourself, how much time do you want to put into the model! In my case, this was the first attempt and I’m a little bit over the top at this point! Probably because I thought I’d never get past the planking! Once I reach the rigging, I’ll be hard-pressed to finish as the plans direct!

I bought the San Felipe now only because if I get the urge in a few years to build it, it would probably cost more because of inflation! I can always get my money back by selling the kit on EBay or Amazon if the Pearl finishes my ship building! Yet, I do truly enjoy the solitude and accomplishment that this project is giving me! So perhaps the San Felipe will be my final challenge! I don’t want my golf game to suffer too much!

I feel that I honed my rudimentary skills on the Pearl. Now I know when I make mistakes; before, I didn't. I understand the basic structures of the ship , its sails, and its rigging much better now. I don't think I'll ever go as fast as I did on the Pearl or the first part of the Connie build, but I will spend time on my new builds and enjoy them as much or more.

Back