Blandford 1/48 by Modelship Dockyard

Hi everyone I thought that I would start my Blandford kit
It will not be a blow by blow log ... there are several excellent builds here and I don't think that I can add much
The kit arrived in good time and as a bonus I didn't have to pay any extra for customs etc
As has been said before the box isn't very interesting Victor has obviously put his effort into the content and what content it is !!! Sheet after sheet of perfect timber ready to be assembled
I started building the frame or stand which went together very easily
Next was the keel once again all parts fitted well with the usual removal of the char

IMG-20240116-WA0000.jpeg

20240122_101833.jpg

20240122_101841.jpg

Next came the fun part ... all the ribs ..63 of them with 15 pieces to each rib . I decided to just sand the ends of each piece this ensured that the char had gone and that the ends were square
All the pieces were easily removed from the timber and fitted on the full sized plans perfectly
The only problem that I had was that I had too many pieces and couldn't work how they went together...I was trying to fit the spacers that go between the ribs !
A quick email to Victor was quickly replied but I had managed to sort it but EXCELLENT customer service thanks
And so the production line started

20240122_151557.jpg

20240122_152813.jpg

20240123_130609.jpg

20240129_124724.jpg

20240129_125312.jpg

IMG-20240212-WA0002.jpeg

IMG-20240212-WA0004.jpeg

A problem!
I glued the building frame together and now I can not get the stern frames to fit
Do they spring in or do I have to remove the stern of the jig to fit them ?
They are all loosely fitted still need removing and sanding .. I knew all those covid masks would come in handy some time

Like I see you did not fix all the frames on top of the keel, or?
So usually you have to finalize the bow structure and also the stern structure before a install and fix the neighbouring frames
Which order of work is recommended in the description?

Sanding sanding sanding
The pile of ribs that have been sanded is slowly growing
I started off using a knife to remove a lot of the taper and then finished off with ever finer grades of abrasive
I have now started using a Dremmel and flexible shaft this of course doesn't give as finer finish but the spacers will also need sanding and the whole hull faired.
Along with the completed ribs there is also a growing pile that need some rework !
Maybe masking tape wasn't good enough to hold the pieces in place ? Or my joinery is not up to scratch
Maybe I have over stretched my talents and have just got very expensive firewood???

20240220_154656.jpg

20240220_154725.jpg

....Or my joinery is not up to scratch
Maybe I have over stretched my talents and have just got very expensive firewood???
I certainly hope not. I am considering this and similar kits for my next project, and I doubt I have the experience and skill that you have. It's looking good to me, though.

DONE
All the ribs have been roughly sanded to remove the laser char and get the taper

A few thoughts about my first POF kit
The quality of the timber and the accuracy of the parts so far seems very good
If you plan to build something like this a Dremmel is really essential along with some form of dust extraction be prepared for LOTS of dust
When I have got the joints onthe frames nice and tight it looks great I am looking forward to getting some finish on it
Before that there will be more sanding before fitting the frames to the keel

20240222_165020.jpg

20240222_165008.jpg

Hi all
I have had to keep the workshop closed for a few days while I dog sit .. far too many 'sticks' and other things to chew to let her in
She has now gone home so I have had a full day and managed to get all the frames fixed to the keel only managed to break two lol
They are not very straight so I am hoping that once the spacers are fitted they will help to make it more shipshape and not likes the dogs hind leg
As usual suggestions and comments are all welcome
Andy

20240301_173318.jpg

20240305_110740.jpg

20240305_122739.jpg

20240305_170050.jpg

20240305_170108.jpg

Hi all
I have had to keep the workshop closed for a few days while I dog sit .. far too many 'sticks' and other things to chew to let her in
She has now gone home so I have had a full day and managed to get all the frames fixed to the keel only managed to break two lol
They are not very straight so I am hoping that once the spacers are fitted they will help to make it more shipshape and not likes the dogs hind leg
As usual suggestions and comments are all welcome
Andy

View attachment 432753

View attachment 432754

View attachment 432755

View attachment 432756

View attachment 432757
Hi, If you look at page 9 of my Blandford log you’ll see a simple and very effective way of getting the ribs straight. Ken

Hi, If you look at page 9 of my Blandford log you’ll see a simple and very effective way of getting the ribs straight. Ken
you ment the rubber bands, or?
Here is the link (I choose page 8 where you can see it better)
BTW: Ken ´s method is working only with such colourful rubber bands - never use bands with a unique colour !!!! ;)

Back