Blandford 1/48 by Modelship Dockyard

due to the fact, that I cut my Granado in two half, we have a very good view from the "hold" up to the beams and the knees

here the hanging knees are not installed - remember this deck is upside down
IMG_1470.jpg

and now with installed hanging knees (upside down)

IMG_1519.jpg

interesting also this sketch from Goodwin

IMG_1120.jpg

It has been a while since I have posted but with dog sitting and hospital visits for a friend I haven't had much time to get in the model room
It has mainly involved sanding the hull and fitting the stern timbers
Next job will be starting on some of the internal timbers

View attachment 441227

View attachment 441228
Good evening Andy. Wow, looking fantastic and this is your first POF. Great job. Cheers Grant

due to the fact, that I cut my Granado in two half, we have a very good view from the "hold" up to the beams and the knees

here the hanging knees are not installed - remember this deck is upside down
View attachment 448651

and now with installed hanging knees (upside down)

View attachment 448650

interesting also this sketch from Goodwin

View attachment 448652
That is an interesting view of the beams and knees not very often seen from below unless you are a sailor
I wish my joints were asgood as yours

Hi, It’s coming along very nicely well done. The knees as they come out of the sheet don’t fit, I cut into them and shaped each one for the correct curve and fit. Don’t worry too much if they aren’t perfect as when the beams and buttons are fitted you can hardly see them then when the next deck goes on you can’t see them at all. Ken
You are right about the knees not fitting!
They seemed to be OK at the bow but are getting worse as I progress to the stern
The only thing that I can think is that the beams are in the wrong place

You are right about the knees not fitting!
They seemed to be OK at the bow but are getting worse as I progress to the stern
The only thing that I can think is that the beams are in the wrong place
Hi

@wuxiaomeng or @Modelship Dockyard can help you with the build ,they designed the kit

Hi, if you had troubles with the last few hanging knees, that might because you placed them on the wrong side. L2-15 to L2-18 should be placed towards the top (upside down) instead of the normal order. Here's a image from the instructions, please let me know if this is the case.

1716562217251.png

I have realised that my modeling skills are lacking in skills
Not only do the vertical knees not fit but the spaces between the beams are wrong so the horizontal knees do not fit although I took the measurements from the plan and seem to be correct
I have some big decisions to make

1.. do I scrap the kit and start again maybe with a simpler "normal" kit
2..try to remove all the internal parts fitted so far and try to fit them again ? I think this will break quite a few parts
3.. bodge the lower deck and try to do a better job of the upper
As Keith said it is hardly seen after the rest of the ship is built and no one apart from me will se it
4.. give up all together !!!
No 4 seems the best idea at the moment

Hi, if you had troubles with the last few hanging knees, that might because you placed them on the wrong side. L2-15 to L2-18 should be placed towards the top (upside down) instead of the normal order. Here's a image from the instructions, please let me know if this is the case.

View attachment 449204
Thanks for the information yes that would explain the problem on those knees but if you read my previous post things have gone wrong all the way from L2-10 onwards

1.. do I scrap the kit and start again maybe with a simpler "normal" kit
DO NOT SCRAP! If you feel the current kit is not up to your skills now, you can put it aside. But don't trash it, you will reassess this project sometime later when you gain the experience required.

Thanks for the information yes that would explain the problem on those knees but if you read my previous post things have gone wrong all the way from L2-10 onwards
Hi so is it that from L2-10 to L2-18, the hanging knees are not fitting the hull shape, and L2-1 to L2-9 are fitting okay?
Also regarding the lodging knees (the horizontal ones), are they currently all shorter or longer? or both cases appeared?
These questions will help us better understand your current issues and to solve them.

Hi so is it that from L2-10 to L2-18, the hanging knees are not fitting the hull shape, and L2-1 to L2-9 are fitting okay?
Also regarding the lodging knees (the horizontal ones), are they currently all shorter or longer? or both cases appeared?
These questions will help us better understand your current issues and to solve them.
Hi thanks again for the prompt reply
Yes L2-10 to 18 gradually get worse in the fitting
The horizontal knees are both too long and short depending on which beam they are fitted to
I am going to try and break the glue on the beams and re fit using the knees as the correct spacer
Depending on how many I break would it be possible to buy replacement parts ?

The horizontal knees are both too long and short depending on which beam they are fitted to
I am going to try and break the glue on the beams and re fit using the knees as the correct spacer
Hi, Don’t dispair, remember that these knees will not be seen at all once the upper deck is in place, shape them as best as you can then move on, try not to beat yourself up about them, on this deck mine were really no better.

If placing the last four knees upside down, would it fix the problem of those? or they are already put in that way and still having the problem?
What I suggest to do now is: removing the beams, place them back in order, from front to back, while also fitting the lodging knees and hanging knees in.
E.G.: Beam 1 → lodging knee 1 → hanging knee 1 → beam 2 → ...
This way I believe all the problems will be solved. If you need to replace any parts, please let us know, parts will be free of charge, a shipping cost of roughly 25-30GBP might be required.

If placing the last four knees upside down, would it fix the problem of those? or they are already put in that way and still having the problem?
What I suggest to do now is: removing the beams, place them back in order, from front to back, while also fitting the lodging knees and hanging knees in.
This way I believe all the problems will be solved. If you need to replace any parts, please let us know, parts will be free of charge, a shipping cost of roughly 25-30GBP might be required.
Or yes, as Ken kindly suggested, those won't be pretty visible after fitting the gun deck, so you can also choose not the remove the beams and continue. This way you may need to cut the lodging knees slightly for those are longer, and fit spacers for those shorter. I would suggest this as a backup plan, you can try my last suggestion first, if you find it hard then this can be a choice.

Yes I have dry fitted the last 4 knees and they fit well
That was going to be my next move re fitting the beams 1 by 1 rather than fitting them all then trying to fit the knees
Thanks for the offer of spares I will no doubt be in touch
Excellent customer service
THANK YOU
Andy

Lower deck take two
I managed to remove the deck beams and knees without too much damage
I then started from the pump well and finished the beams with the associated knees 1 at a time rather than fitting all the beams first this resulted in a better finished deck
I then started to add the carlings and found another problem.. the notches do not quite align
So 2 questions for the other more experienced builders
1 . Should I have fitted the beams and then the notched pieces so I can line them better
2. What is the best way to notch the carlings to take the ledges
Thanks in advance
Andy20240601_131220.jpg20240601_104312.jpg20240601_104301.jpg

Although I have fitted all the carlings every time I looked at them all I could see were the out of square ones so today I have been removing the out of square ones and altering the beams to make them fit better
I know that they will not really be seen after the gun deck is fitted but they HAD to be altered for my sanity..what there is left of it !
I am now wondering if the hull is so far out if the pre cut planking will fit ??
As usual comments and criticism are both welcome
Andy20240603_160649.jpg

Although I have fitted all the carlings every time I looked at them all I could see were the out of square ones so today I have been removing the out of square ones and altering the beams to make them fit better
I know that they will not really be seen after the gun deck is fitted but they HAD to be altered for my sanity..what there is left of it !
I am now wondering if the hull is so far out if the pre cut planking will fit ??
As usual comments and criticism are both welcome
AndyView attachment 451152
Hi Andy, Mine didn’t look much better at this stage, you’ll see that I added a narrow waterway along the beams, to make the fit look better, it masked the irregularities and made the beams look more acceptable. Again remember that these won’t be seen, use this phase as a learning curve for when you do the upper deck. There’s nothing wrong with your building, you will surprise yourself. Ken

Back