Blandford 1/48 by Modelship Dockyard

Hi Andy, Mine didn’t look much better at this stage, you’ll see that I added a narrow waterway along the beams, to make the fit look better, it masked the irregularities and made the beams look more acceptable. Again remember that these won’t be seen, use this phase as a learning curve for when you do the upper deck. There’s nothing wrong with your building, you will surprise yourself. Ken
Thanks for your kind words Ken
A waterway sounds a good idea... about 6 inches wide HaHa

Although I have fitted all the carlings every time I looked at them all I could see were the out of square ones so today I have been removing the out of square ones and altering the beams to make them fit better
I know that they will not really be seen after the gun deck is fitted but they HAD to be altered for my sanity..what there is left of it !
I am now wondering if the hull is so far out if the pre cut planking will fit ??
As usual comments and criticism are both welcome
AndyView attachment 451152
Hi Andy,

I am facing the same challenge on my current project. In order to keep the beams 'centered' in the hull I marked their midlines and ran a piece of thread along the centerline of the ship. When I adjusted the beams (they were too long) I took great care to keep the midline of the beam aligned with my centerline thread. In order to do that I found I need to remove the same amount of wood at each end. I got the lower deck pretty close but I am trying even harder on the upper deck.

Even if the shape of your inner hull is not perfect I think this will get you close.

I hope this helps!

Last edited:
Hi Andy,

I am facing the same challenge on my current project. In order to keep the beams 'centered' in the hull I marked their midlines and ran a piece of thread along the centerline of the ship. When I adjusted the beams (there were too long) I took great care to keep the midline of the beam aligned with my centerline thread. In order to do that I found I need to remove the same amount of wood at each end. I got the lower deck pretty close but I am trying even harder on the upper deck.

Even if the shape of your inner hull is not perfect I think this will get you close.

I hope this helps!
A very good idea I will have to try something to make the "seen" deck look better than the lower one
I think that one problem is that any errors in the hull soon get magnified as you progress a problem when the fit of the kit parts is so good but ONLY if your joinery is also perfect to the plans.I don't think I spent enough time fairing the inside of the hull
Andy

Good evening Guy,
Your build is looking very good. Ken has been a help you as he has me with my build, This is an ambitious build. Ken has some advise too regarding the quarter deck which you'll find useful. For me the plans/directions are wanting. This may be in part due to my lack of experience. l have been working on a Santa Maria build, which is almost finished, so I'm getting ready to resume my Blandford. I finished the lower deck and started the upper deck but found I needed to dismantle what had done as I wasn't happy with the results.
Again I think your build is going very well!

A question about your name - "maltbyguy"- is that in anyway a reference to single malt scotch?
Respectfully,
Craig

Good evening Guy,
Your build is looking very good. Ken has been a help you as he has me with my build, This is an ambitious build. Ken has some advise too regarding the quarter deck which you'll find useful. For me the plans/directions are wanting. This may be in part due to my lack of experience. l have been working on a Santa Maria build, which is almost finished, so I'm getting ready to resume my Blandford. I finished the lower deck and started the upper deck but found I needed to dismantle what had done as I wasn't happy with the results.
Again I think your build is going very well!

A question about your name - "maltbyguy"- is that in anyway a reference to single malt scotch?
Respectfully,
Craig

Although I have fitted all the carlings every time I looked at them all I could see were the out of square ones so today I have been removing the out of square ones and altering the beams to make them fit better
I know that they will not really be seen after the gun deck is fitted but they HAD to be altered for my sanity..what there is left of it !
I am now wondering if the hull is so far out if the pre cut planking will fit ??
AndyView attachment 451152
Good morning. Congratulations. The small changes you made certainly worked - those carlings look pretty in line now. Cheers Grant

Reactions: Ken
Hi everyone it has been a while but my shakes have been quite bad and I didn't feel safe near sharp tools
I have managed to get the 1st deck finished and varnished it doesn't look too bad a few wonky lines but overall quite pleased
I have just got to start again with the 2nd deck and will have learnt something from the 1st I hope and can do a better job .20240711_101045.jpg20240711_101136.jpg20240711_102142.jpg20240711_102200.jpg I have got as far as cutting the knees out ready for more char sanding. I have also made up a rough cannon to hopefully get the deck at the right height
As usual any comments or criticism will be welcomed

Hope that you not mix up all these knees - seems, that they are all slightly different, so it is hard to keep the correct order.
I am usually trying to remove the parts only when I really directly need them - because I am a messy in such things.
Your deck structure is looking very goo my friend - Very good work

Hope that you not mix up all these knees - seems, that they are all slightly different, so it is hard to keep the correct order.
I am usually trying to remove the parts only when I really directly need them - because I am a messy in such things.
Your deck structure is looking very goo my friend - Very good work
Thanks Uwek
They are all in order on double sided tape so I hope they will stay there
I like to get all the messy char out of the way
Each to his own methods I guess
Andy

Hi all I have been fitting the lower deck fittings.A bit of colour makes things look more interesting
A question for any other Blandford builders .. did you get any dowel to make up the mast stumps ? Did you get any brass rod for the cannon trunions ? Should I have a longer ladder to go from the centre of the ship to the keel or do I make one from scrap or 2 standard ladders
Thanks for your help
Andy

Your model continues to be beautiful!!
I was not going to post this but you expressed an interest in the details in early posts so here goes. When I started to write this there was a photo of a cannon but it is gone now. Merely as a point of interest, not a criticism in any way and not meant to be nit picking at all, if it's the 1720 Blandford it would have likely had Borgard guns which had a chase astragal ring. I realize it is probably a kit thing and very few people will notice or could care less, I'm just curious. Incorrect cannon patterns still seem to be common for many kit manufacturers, but with today's technology to produce them, that should no longer be the case as they can be made more accurately at less cost with the 3D drawings now readily available.
Thanks
AllanBorgard pattern on Blandford 1720.PNG

Last edited:
Your model continues to be beautiful!!
I was not going to post this but you expressed an interest in the details in early posts so here goes. When I started to write this there was a photo of a cannon but it is gone now. Merely as a point of interest, not a criticism in any way and not meant to be nit picking at all, if it's the 1720 Blandford it would have likely had Borgard guns which had a chase astragal ring. I realize it is probably a kit thing and very few people will notice or could care less, I'm just curious. Incorrect cannon patterns still seem to be common for many kit manufacturers, but with today's technology to produce them, that should no longer be the case as they can be made more accurately at less cost with the 3D drawings now readily available.
Thanks
AllanView attachment 459844
Thanks for the information.. I build my kits to pass the time and have something to show for my efforts. I realise that it may not be historically accurate.. there are plenty of builders that do like to have everything accurate to a particular time in a ships history and I admire them for their skill in researching it
I much prefer to give a rough idea of the ship that looks pleasing to the majority of people that look at it
Each to their own I think
Andy

Each to their own I think
Totally agree. Number one is enjoy, enjoy, enjoy. We all have different goals and if we reach them, whatever they may be, that is a good thing. I would guess that most builders' goals evolve as our experience grows and skills improve as we learn more through research, be it contemporary sources or seeing the work and advice/suggestions from others in places like here at SoS. Even with a kit, basic research can add challenges taking on so called "kit bashing". I have known for years that even though I believe I have gotten much better, I will never match the master builders. Still, it is something to shoot for to see how close we can get.
Allan

Last edited:
Hi all
I have made a start on the upper deck
I first got some "known" areas fitted around the capstan and the bow.Then ran some lines back to front to align the cutouts (thanks to dockattner for the idea) hopefully this will allow me to keep the rest in some sort of alignment
As usual any comments good or bad are welcome
Andy20240724_102125.jpg

Hi all
I have made a start on the upper deck
I first got some "known" areas fitted around the capstan and the bow.Then ran some lines back to front to align the cutouts (thanks to dockattner for the idea) hopefully this will allow me to keep the rest in some sort of alignment
As usual any comments good or bad are welcome
AndyView attachment 460929
Thanks for all the likes

A quick update
All the beams have been fitted.. strange that they all seem to be a bit short not sure what has gone wrong there
I have started to fit the carlings, they are better than the lower deck but still not very square or straight even though I used the line to try and keep them in line
I clearly need more practise. Any suggestions as to how others have kept them straight will be welcome for next time. I did wonder if I should fit the carlings using a square one beam at a time ??
Andy20240731_154936.jpg

Back