Bluejacket Tug Sequin 1/4” scale

I’m now trying to find a good wood filler to eliminate and fill in some the voids. I’ve found Elmers wood filler hard to work with. I don’t know if I had a bad batch, but I couldn’t apply it smoothly, it tended to roll and ball up as I applied it.
What do others use?
Hello Jan. IMHO, you may look for an epoxy type of filler. As you intend to sail this model, the hull must be waterproof. Epoxy should be your best bet. I didn't work with epoxy filler, maybe others can chime in?

Finally got some time to check out your build.
Nice job, lots of good information.
Yours is coming along nicely, mine seems to be stuck at the second planking stage:(.

I’ll stay tuned ......

G'day Jan, she is looking very nice, I love the shape, for filler i use the Car Bog type of filler, it sticks well and sands nicely, hope this helps,

best regards john,

Progress:

The first filling and sanding of the hull. A sunny warm day today, a good chance to make sawdust outside.

FF7BCD05-6BAB-4AB8-805C-54710F349D91_1_201_a.jpeg

There are still several low and high spots that need to be worked on. The spacing between the bulkheads allows for some plank flexibility. The planks are glued to the bulkheads as well as each other, still there are several spots that seem "spongy". I think bracing those spots fro the inside will help a lot.

I have managed to break off all the horns glued to the bulkheads that extend up from the false deck, mainly between turning the hull upside down and on its side while planking and later sanding.

F4FAD4DE-D980-4F1C-86FD-0E50F00EB119_1_201_a.jpeg

Another "do over fix"

Jan

Hi Jan

From the pictures, the hull looks GOOD. I am sure that bracing from the inside will improve rigidity. Just make sure that any bracing does not interfere with something else that needs to be added later on. I am sure that a drop of CA (even though I hate the stuff), will restore the bulkhead tips to "good as new"! Glad to see you back in the shipyard!

Hi Jan

From the pictures, the hull looks GOOD. I am sure that bracing from the inside will improve rigidity. Just make sure that any bracing does not interfere with something else that needs to be added later on. I am sure that a drop of CA (even though I hate the stuff), will restore the bulkhead tips to "good as new"! Glad to see you back in the shipyard!
Hi Heinrich,

I decided against the interior bracing, not much room to place anything in the interior. I'm going to try to brush Titebond II into the gaps while slightly pressing the planks in. Hopefully that will fix things.

Jan

G'day Jan, what I sometimes do is brush on some PVA glue and add some thin cloth material on top of it and stipple it into the glue, just like you would do with Fibre Glass, hope this helps you,
Best regards John,

G'day Jan, what I sometimes do is brush on some PVA glue and add some thin cloth material on top of it and stipple it into the glue, just like you would do with Fibre Glass, hope this helps you,
Best regards John,
John,

Great minds think alike. I made a mixture of lightly diluted PVA glue, placed some double ply tissue over the area and used a 1/4 inch wide brush with stiff bristles to cover everything.

We‘ll see how well it worked in the morning.

Jan

Hull Sanding:

Beautiful day today, took advantage of the warmth and sunshine and sat outside to sand the Tugs hull. There are still couple of "hollow or low spots. I'll fill those and do another sanding later in the week.

B1AFFB40-CF07-46DB-A5E8-BC147ECA9D01.jpeg

The blue tape is not part of the build. I'm trying to protect those areas from sanding damage.

Jan

Hmmm, good weather and summer chores decrease the amount of time spent in the boatyard.

Todays time was spent on repairing some of the mistakes I made on the Tug’s hull. In my enthusiastic sanding, filling voids and more sanding of the hull I managed to break off every one of the bulkhead extension. Those have all been replaced by 3/32“ square Maple pieces.

The scribed deck was temporarily held in place with glue from an Elmers glue stick while I fitted the pieces of the waterway between the new bulkhead extensions . When I was satisfied that the waterway and the deck were a good fit, the waterway pieces were soaked and then glued and pinned to the false deck.

A09F36F4-C1E3-4FA0-9C00-763E388118A4.jpeg
The waterway is used to eliminate the gap between the scribed deck and the edge of the first plank.

871FF48B-BC52-4D17-A463-3E683D4DA636.jpeg

The rubber bands work great holding everything together for a test fit.

Jan

It is really looking good, Jan! I love the green colour.

Back