Bluenose 1:100 by Amati

The hull painting is completed. Need to apply 1mm white pinstripe material between Red and Indigo.
I hope I have come close to the sample model. The Indigo paint is a mixture of Prussian Blue, Hull Red and Black.
I think it came very close to the sample model color. I would like to thank Peter Voogt and RDN1954 especially for their
sage advice. Also, thank you to all that have commented or liked the project to-date.
Question: Do I need to seal the hull with polyurethane flat or gloss after pinstripe application?
Thank You!

BN_Construc_091.jpg

bn_cONSTRUC_092.jpg

BN_Construc_Hull Paint Blk-Blue.jpg

BN_Construc_Hull Color Scheme.jpg

Handout from the Constitution Museum. Interested in Ship Modelling information.
"Please place where it can be seen by the most people."

Attachments

• Interested in Shio Modelling_20240603_0001.pdf
    12.2 MB · Views: 3
While waiting for the 1/16 white pinstripe to arrive, I polyurethane stained the deck trying to match my sample photograph. I came out a little more yellow than I liked, but within acceptable limits.
As soon as pinstripe arrives, I will make the waterline and seal the outer hull with satin polyurethane.
Next is the "Cutwater" stakes and painting the Bulwarks white.
Any creative comments/suggestion still appreciated.

BN_Construc_094.jpg

BN_Construc_095.jpg

BN_Construc_096.jpg

1690739341010.png

The white plastic inset he used; I will try to duplicate in flat white paint.
I have also used automobile pin striping tape with good success. Itis available on line but back in the day I would buy it in automotive parts stores. Once applied and after several coats of a flat or glossy clear top coat finish they have lasted many years in display cases in both office and at-sea environments.
Columbia 3-18-10.jpgHull painted .jpg

Question: What are the differences between Fishing and Racing Configurations?
I would like to complete mine as a "racing Bluenose". Thanks

View attachment 451737
Hi Kurt.
In the ‘Bluenose PoF Group Build’ you can find in the ‘Bluenose Main Support Page’ you can find a lot of information about the original Bluenose and the ‘II’.
In the Main Support Page your can find post #14 where Rich @PT-2 have posted a excel sheet with a ‘Comparison of Equippage and Rigging:
—> Fishing vs Racing <— (scroll to page 2 for the last column of the sheet)
In some other post in that area there are some other discussions about this subject.
And the list is not compleet: even the most ratlines where removed from the shrouds! Anything to experience less resistance. Captain Angus Walters was a master in that!
Hopefully there you can find your answers.
Regards, Peter

Last edited:
I have also used automobile pin striping tape with good success. Itis available on line but back in the day I would buy it in automotive parts stores. Once applied and after several coats of a flat or glossy clear top coat finish they have lasted many years in display cases in both office and at-sea environments.
View attachment 451898View attachment 451899
Thank you, I plan to seal it matte polyurethane in a couple days when everything is good and dry.

Hi Kurt.
In the ‘Bluenose PoF Group Build’ you can find in the ‘Bluenose Main Support Page’ you can find a lot of information about the original Bluenose and the ‘II’.
In the Main Support Page your can find post #14 where Rich @PT-2 have posted a excel sheet with a ‘Comparison of Equippage and Rigging:
—> Fishing vs Racing <— (scroll to page 2 for the last column of the sheet)
In some other post in that area there are some other discussions about this subject.
And the list is not compleet: even the most ratlines where removed from the shrouds! Anything to experience less resistance. Captain Angus Walters was a master in that!
Hopefully there you can find your answers.
Regards, Peter
Excellent as. Information as usual. Just finished bulwark supports on deck. Watching the glue dry. Next is to paint bulwark flat white.

QUESTION: What the heck is the piece circled in yellow? It is not called out in the worded instructions. It is not in the parts listing or any of the panel pieces.
Do I need to fabricate a unit for both the Port/Starboard stern sides?
Thank You

BN_Construc_094.jpg

I have completed the primary hull painting. I believe is matches my example model as close as possible. The next steps are to prepare poppets cutting them from the 1x2mm wood strips. Then applying them to the bulwarks as per the diagram. I think I will paint them white before assembly to prevent over running to current paint. I think then I will seal everything to that point with sating polyurethane to protect it.
The gunwales would be next, and I will paint them white and seal before gluing to the bulwarks.

BN_Construc_095.jpg

BN_Construc_096.jpg

IMG_7757.jpg

Back