Bluenose 1/72 POF [COMPLETED BUILD]

It’s official…the ship is done, pending any touch ups I may find. All rope hanks are on belaying pins with lines.
I will continue this build log with the scratch construction of the Novia Scotia lighthouse. The Louisbourg lighthouse to be exact.
My sons birthday is in 3 weeks, on October 9th. I will give him the ship and lighthouse, and my daughter will take final pics of both together with her camera. She is a better photographer than me. ;)
So the official end of this build log will be in 3 weeks.
A few ship pics with my phone…

AD4A6159-1F57-4BEA-982C-A9E0D005DED6.jpegCBE8E6FC-B0D4-4A82-8408-953222183290.jpeg7F2631E8-36CC-457C-83F9-E64D2797B8E8.jpeg
6CBD81B2-DB45-4FB3-8DAB-9495575AD8CB.jpegC5D5627D-D43C-428E-83F5-D4D5FE2A88D5.jpeg

Last edited:
Congratulations Dean. You are a gifted craftsman with a keen eye for detail and the willingness to push beyond the expected. Thank you for sharing your work with us - it is truly inspiring! Huzzah!
Thank you Paul, I appreciate it! You are truly gifted yourself, and continue to amaze me with your attention to detail and accuracy! I look forward to the continuation of your Wasa, a real masterpiece! ;)

@Heinrich , A special thanks to Heinrich for coordinating the BN POF build, and for helping members get the kit. It has been a very rewarding experience, and I am glad I built this ship. ;)
The end is always bitter sweet! It's good to be finished with the ship build, but sad to no longer have it to look forward to. Oh well, a lighthouse build ahead and on to the next ship! ;)

I suppose bitter-sweet is the perfect way of summing up the end of such an exquisite build. You excelled in creating a masterpiece which is not only cohesive in its appearance, but has an air of solidity to it not unlike that of the proverbial granite block. At the same time it carries your unique bent to the build which gives this Bluenose her own and very individual character. And to top it all ... and by now, this goes almost without saying ... the build has been exquisitely and beautifully executed.

Like the famous English poem "Ithaca" says. The destination is not the end, nor does it teach us anything - it was the journey which had to be undertaken that carries with it all the lessons of life. And your Bluenose journey - has I believe - been a remarkable one!

Congratulations Dean!

Thank you everyone for the kind words. It has been yet another learning experience, and there are areas of improvement to work on. I think my rigging could be improved, and that’s really a matter of using better rope, which I will either buy or make myself on the next ship! ;)

Beautifully completed models. Your tireless but patient foresight and detailing has provided a memorable pause before you gift it to your son. It is a pleasure and reward for me to have been able to watch your progress. You have an unlimited horizon before your bowline. Enjoy the voyage. Rich (PT-2)
Thank you Rich! You’ve been a great help and resource on the BN!

Dean,

My compliments on your completed build, she turned out to be a real beauty.
Now she's finished, I can appreciate your "no-sail" approach.
Congratulations!
Looking forward to your new project...

Johan

A beautiful finish to an beautiful ship! I have enjoyed following you on this Dean, and am looking forward to your lighthouse scratch build to go with it.

Thanks again to everyone for the kind words, and for following me on this journey. Anyone who has done a build log will know that you give and take along the way, and the input and encouragement from others on SOS is a treasure you can't put a price on! So thank you all for making this so rewarding.

ps - I have started the lighthouse. :)

Back