Bluenose, 1921, Nova Scotia - 1:72 Scale - YuanQing

Hi @marter1229
These pieces have a bevel-line on the front face. You should file from that line to the back edge to create a beveled edge. The final cross-section will be shaped like this. When the piece is mounted, this bevel will form a horizontal shelf for the lower beams to rest across. The edge created by the bevel line will be at the top inside edge of this beam, as seen in the photo below.

Lower deck clamp.png
Deck Clamp - superimposed cross section.jpg

Last edited:
Hi @marter1229
These pieces have a bevel-line on the front face. You should file from that line to the back edge to create a beveled edge. The final cross-section will be shaped like this. When the piece is mounted, this bevel will form a horizontal shelf for the lower beams to rest across. The edge created by the bevel line will be at the top inside edge of this beam, as seen in the photo below.

View attachment 208642
View attachment 208647
You’re leading the way sir! And doing a great job! ;)

I've been stalling with my Bluenose build while I make a decision about the deck planking. I can't quite bring myself to lay the deck pre-made as it is in the kit. I feel like I've gotten pretty good at deck planking, so I have decided to do a scratch job of this. The real new challenge for me here will be to get the nibble-planks at the outer edges done well and cleanly. I'll probably take a bit of a hiatus and return to my HMS Blandford while I get that sorted, but I'll try to get back to Bluenose soon enough to build alongside you all.

Hi Eric,
I can imagine your reservation. It’s also in my mind when I saw the deck plate. First building such a beautiful POF hull and then placing such a deck sheet on it. It's going to be scratch for me, too.
Last week, looking in the forum in several build-log’s, I saw a nice example of the nibble-side-planking.
When I find it again, I let you know.
Regards, Peter

Hi Eric,
I can imagine your reservation. It’s also in my mind when I saw the deck plate. First building such a beautiful POF hull and then placing such a deck sheet on it. It's going to be scratch for me, too.
Last week, looking in the forum in several build-log’s, I saw a nice example of the nibble-side-planking.
When I find it again, I let you know.
Regards, Peter
I’m ordering wood for the deck...will plank individual boards!

I know Zoltan's Ontario has a clean looking layout of the edge "nibble" planks.
I'm thinking I may follow the procedure in that log, but I'll try to use the YQ deck plate as a template. That is, I plan to separate the edging using a scalpel/Xacto, then stencil that onto some walnut and cut. Once that is in place, I will lay in the planks in Tanganyika. Again I say "I plan"....but we know what happens when man makes plans.

Back