Bluenose, 1921, Nova Scotia - 1:72 Scale - YuanQing

And inside strakes (deck clamps?) are laid the full length of the hull.
20210112_182152.jpg

The kit comes with these useful little spacer guides for extra assurance of even and sturdy spacing during this stage. They are quite fragile, but they do the job well enough, securing the frames in a firm position while the strakes are laid down.

20210112_182431.jpg

Last edited:
And the breasthooks mounted at the inside bow. These are beveled at the top side to create a level surface for the crossbeams. (I think...REALLY starting to wish I read Chinese...)

I used a slight smaller wire for the bolts here, so they aren't quite as visible, but a bit more appropriate for scale.

20210112_204523.jpg

20210112_203528.jpg

Last edited:
I don't know what these center pieces are called (@Heinrich ?), but they are in. These might be the only two pieces that my ham hands haven't broken.
These thick planks are called "footwales" or also "thick stuff"

Hi Uwek

Daily English and Technical English are very different especially when you use it as a foreign language like me.

Ever since I was a member of this site, I was having difficulty finding some English technical terms related to structural elements of sailing ships, even though I was a retired naval officer and speak daily English fluently. :)

I want to thank you for this valuable glossary references.

Best Regards from Turkey.

Last edited:
NOTE: I should point out to others approaching this stage, that the apparent numbering of the cross beams didn't quite match up with the widths at the deckclamp for the beams #75-90. They should progress in width from the bow as they move aft (obviously), but these sort of dipped and jumped.

Rather than wrestle to try to sort out what was happening with the numbering, I just lined up all the beams and sorted them short to long; and long to short. Once I had the proper progression, I just moved through that order, sanding down the char and securing them in place. Seems pretty obvious, but if one were sticking to numbering they might get an uneven progression.20210113_183832.jpg

Last edited:
NOTE: I should point out to others approaching this stage, that the apparent numbering of the cross beams didn't quite match up with the widths at the deckclamp for the beams #75-90. They should progress in width from the bow as they move aft (obviously), but these sort of dipped and jumped.

Rather than wrestle to try to sort out what was happening with the numbering, I just lined up all the beams and sorted them short to long; and long to short. Once I had the proper progression, I just moved through that order, sanding down the char and securing them in place. Seems pretty obvious, but if one were sticking to numbering they might get have a strange progression.View attachment 205463
I’m sure glad you posted this!

I decided to stay up late and push through to finish this set of deck beams. Very straightforward process of laying them down in place, but it took some time to sand these all down in preparation. I did somehow manage to break one of these (I really am an oaf), so there is a gap at frame #, but I think I can get away with it as there are a couple of other intended gaps here. Next up...looks like mast steps....and more beams.

20210114_002406.jpg

Last edited:
Back