Bluenose, 1921, Nova Scotia - 1:72 Scale - YuanQing

I know Zoltan's Ontario has a clean looking layout of the edge "nibble" planks.
I'm thinking I may follow the plog, but I'll try to use the YQ deck plate as a template. That is, I plan to separate the edging using a scalpel/Xacto, then stencil that onto some walnut and cut. Once that is in place, I will lay in the planks in Tanganyika. Again I say "I plan"....but we know what happens when man makes plans.

I'm thinking I may follow the procedure in that log, but I'll try to use the YQ deck plate as a template. That is, I plan to separate the edging using a scalpel/Xacto, then stencil that onto some walnut and cut. Once that is in place, I will lay in the planks in Tanganyika. Again I say "I plan"....but we know what happens when man makes plans.
Yes I will do the same and use theirs as a template. ;)

Yes I will do the same and use theirs as a template. ;)
Listening from the pier and not aboard, it seems to me that there will be a big challenge to lay individual deck planks on the fragile deck beams but the effort seems receiving a higher quality end product and satisfaction than a stamped out faux deck. You have my full encouragement and respect. Rich (PT-2)

I'm thinking I may follow the plog, but I'll try to use the YQ deck plate as a template. That is, I plan to separate the edging using a scalpel/Xacto, then stencil that onto some walnut and cut. Once that is in place, I will lay in the planks in Tanganyika. Again I say "I plan"....but we know what happens when man makes plans.
Haha, I found Zoly’s Ontario yesterday evening and wanted to post this morning :).
And now some time to find this in the BN II Saga, quote from pag.18, point 17 (for Rich):
Deck Plank: to be 3” x 4 3/4” white pine, edge grained, and nibbed into second stroke of waterways. All strokes to be bevelled on upper edge for caulking of two threads of best quality Stratford oakum & payed with marine glue & resin. To be covered with two coats of boiler linseed oil.
In the drawing on pag.42: Deck Planking: white pine 3” thick 4 3/4” wide.
I look further to find something about the lenght.
Just nice to know. And then to be interpretated to the first BN ;).
Regards, Peter

Haha, I found Zoly’s Ontario yesterday evening and wanted to post this morning :).
And now some time to find this in the BN II Saga, quote from pag.18, point 17 (for Rich):
Deck Plank: to be 3” x 4 3/4” white pine, edge grained, and nibbed into second stroke of waterways. All strokes to be bevelled on upper edge for caulking of two threads of best quality Stratford oakum & payed with marine glue & resin. To be covered with two coats of boiler linseed oil.
Just nice to know. And then to be interpretated to the first BN ;).
Regards, Peter
@Peter Voogt
I think Ramin would simulate pine well. I have some on hand, but will have to order more. I have some 1mm x 3mm ramin. The etched sheets have 3mm boards and is .6 mm thick. Close enough for me, so going with the ramin... just need to buy some more. :)
I also ordered a wooden ships wheel, not going with that brass ornamental wheel provided...yuck! ;)

@Peter Voogt
I think Ramin would simulate pine well. I have some on hand, but will have to order more. I have some 1mm x 3mm ramin. The etched sheets have 3mm boards and is .6 mm thick. So close enough for me, so going with the ramin... just need to buy some more. :)
I also ordered a wooden ships wheel, not going with that brass ornamental wheel provided...yuck! ;)
Hi Dean, and Eric (it’s his build-log).
I guess you and Eric are much early by the deck that me. I’ll watch closely!
Regards, Peter

@Peter Voogt
I think Ramin would simulate pine well. I have some on hand, but will have to order more. I have some 1mm x 3mm ramin. The etched sheets have 3mm boards and is .6 mm thick. Close enough for me, so going with the ramin... just need to buy some more. :)
If you look at the old photos of the wheel and wheel box you will see that it was a cast/assembled steel wheel with wooden handles. As to deck boards look at the photos of the deckhand measuring down with his hand on the deck which shows very smooth, almost not noticible deck fasteners' wood plugs of the same color and finish as the decking. (All contemporary.) and this is not descernable from the old original photos.
Rich

Thanks for that @Peter Voogt

zomgpt,
Thanks for that [
From a scratch 1:48 BN practicum by P.F. Eisnor, he noted that deck planks were between 12 and 15 ft. long but rarely longer than 12 ft. (p. 54). working with center lines of deck beams. He installs the nibbing strakes before the deck planks. He also notes that the main mast has a 2 degree aft rake.
On a separate question regarding the wheel I have attached early on a photo of the actual wheel and box; and from Saga here is a photo of the BN II wheel which is the same as the original, with the small YQ cast wheel which is more "stumpy" and fatter than the original. It was metal and not wood except for the perimeter hand grips with brass ends.Bluenose Wheel.jpgBluenose Wheel.jpg
A well made scratch wheel with similar proportions would be more in keeping with the schooner as well as schooners of that era.
Rich

Rich,

Thanks for posting the drawing for the Bluenose helms wheel I have been looking for some detailed information on its construction.
I agree with you on scratch building a new wheel and I have been giving this much thought on how to accomplish this.

Perhaps you could answer a few questions I have about the Helms wheel. I'm guessing from the photos that the wheel is around 4 ft in dimeter at end of the handles is this correct?. The wheel appears to be all brass except the large ring. The ring is black in most of the photos so I'm thinking that it could be cast Iron.

should I come up with a way to make this with out a lathe I'll post the information.

Jim Nunn

Rich,

Thanks for posting the drawing for the Bluenose helms wheel I have been looking for some detailed information on its construction.
I agree with you on scratch building a new wheel and I have been giving this much thought on how to accomplish this.

Perhaps you could answer a few questions I have about the Helms wheel. I'm guessing from the photos that the wheel is around 4 ft in dimeter at end of the handles is this correct?. The wheel appears to be all brass except the large ring. The ring is black in most of the photos so I'm thinking that it could be cast Iron.

should I come up with a way to make this with out a lathe I'll post the information.

Jim Nunn
Hi Jim, @Jim Nunn
The question was for Rich, but I am just now reading in the BN-II Saga.
Also for Rich: On page 53, right under, the text:
“Note: Bluenose II fitted with bronze No. 12 Lunenburg Foundry Fisherman’s Steerer, worm geared for 11 inch wood rudder stock with 48 inch diameter bronze Sterling wheel. Hardwood rudder and stock with 3 bronze braces, rudder pintle and lock.”

On the picture from yesterday in @Dean62 Dean’s build-log, you can see the bronze shining:
This is what I found. Basically a casting for the outer ring with metal spokes, metal hub and wooden handles. Would require a scratch build. I may modify the wooden one to more resemble this one or I may just scratch build. That decision is a ways off.
View attachment 209744
Regards, Peter

Last edited:
Hi Jim, @Jim Nunn
The question was for Rich, but I am just now reading in the BN-II Saga.
Also for Rich: On page 53, right under, the text:
“Note: Bluenose II fitted with bronze No. 12 Lunenburg Foundry Fisherman’s Steerer, worm geared for 11 inch wood rudder stock with 48 inch diameter bronze Sterling wheel. Hardwood rudder and stock with 3 bronze braces, rudder pintle and lock.”

On the picture from yesterday in @Dean62 Dean’s build-log, you can see the bronze shining:

Regards, Peter
I cannot say for sure if the original wheels were iron or bronze. The BNII bronze wheel may be a more modern approach to that issue. Old photos are only B/W so an antiqued bronze vrs iron is moot. I would suggest to do what you feel is in best character with your finish goals. I don't know if the Luenburg foundry has any old records of the wheels from those years as I believe that the number of schooners built then went to the same sources. Rich (PT-2)

Back