Bluenose build - DaveFx35

Progress update:
Working on the internal framing.
This is a tight space with gluing challenges.
I had to resort to superglue on the deck clamps.
I hate to do that due to staining but it was so long with many small points of contact.

View attachment 210285
Some progress to report.
Deck beam work nearing completion.
Fingers are pretty sore from sanding small pieces. I'm starting to get blood spots on parts.
Time to call it a day!
Will be sanding the deck tomorrow.
The transom area area is in need of some surgical repair.

View attachment 212610View attachment 212608
View attachment 212609

An interesting view of the hull slung beneath the jig.

View attachment 212607
Dave
Looks great Dave! I can’t wait to get that far.

Heinrich & Dean, thanks for kind words,
Don, agreed, the transom is tricky. Did some cleanup on it but will wait until the back deck is in place before taking it any further.

Did cleanup work on the deck beams. Got it sanded and polished it up a bit on the exposed side of the deck (right hand in photos).
It's hard to show the polished effect on an iPhone camera, but I may leave the beams that way.

IMG-0398.jpg
IMG-0395.jpg

worked on fitting of the decks to make sure the masts openings/deck opening were aligned
and tried to figure out how to clamp the deck while gluing.
I've been planning on building some Ed Tosti style clamps but haven't got there yet.
Instead I took the high tech approach and used craft sticks and small clamps to put downward pressure on it. It's actually pretty effective.

Still trying to decide how to finish deck and beams.
I'll be using the kit provided deck as I want this to be an "out of the box" build.
Normally I'd want to plank it myself but I actually want to get this one finished (a challenge for me).
I was going to try a warmer darker honey colored stain on the nibbling planks (easy for starboard, not so easy on port).
Maybe I will just stain on parts 24-29 when they go on above the nibbling planks.

Since deck installation has to be done next, I've got some decisions to make!

IMG-0396.jpg

Regards, Dave

Last edited:
Heinrich & Dean, thanks for kind words,
Don, agreed, the transom is tricky. Did some cleanup on it but will wait until the back deck is in place before taking it any further.

Did cleanup work on the deck beams. Got it sanded and polished it up a bit on the exposed side of the deck (right hand in photos).
It's hard to show the polished effect on an iPhone camera, but I may leave the beams that way.

View attachment 212953
View attachment 212956

worked on fitting of the decks to make sure the masts openings/deck opening were aligned
and tried to figure out how to clamp the deck while gluing.
I've been planning on building some Ed Tosti style clamps but haven't got there yet.
Instead I took the high tech approach and used craft sticks and small clamps to put downward pressure on it. It's actually pretty effective.

Still trying to decide how to finish deck and beams.
I'll be using the kit provided deck as I want this to be an "out of the box" build.
Normally I'd want to plank it myself but I actually want to get this one finished (a challenge for me).
I was going to try a warmer darker honey colored stain on the nibbling planks (easy for starboard, not so easy on port).
Maybe I will just stain on parts 24-29 when they go on above the nibbling planks.

Since deck installation has to be done next, I've got some decisions to make!

View attachment 212955

Regards, Dave
I’ve realized that clamping on this ship is going to require some creative thinking! Don’t even try to nail. I put one nail in the keelson and after bending 3 nails I drilled a pilot hole! Even then the wood is so hard that i actually made some of the frames in stern pop loose...lol.
I think I’m making some small hardwood pieces that I will drill a pilot hole in the middle, then put a screw in them. Then just hand tighten the screw to clamp with. That way you can keep them screwed together and drop between frames or ribs and then turn 90 degrees and tighten the screw. Maybe some 5-6 mm square stock? I have to figure out something soon, as I’m about to get ready to do the installation of the deck support boards that run the length of the ship. Don’t want to use CA, so have to clamp.

Last edited:
I've been pretty delinquent about posting lately but work continues.
Finished up the decking. As noted by others, the supplied decking in the front has a wave pattern.
As a reminder, since I have personal issues getting things completed, I've vowed to do this kit as supplied (no mods).
It seems like I either get distracted by too many mods or get get bored and move on to other things.
I have an enormous collection of partially built plastic kits!

The port planking is completed as well as starboard.
This is my first full planking effort (and it shows). Clamping is a major challenge the closer you get to the keel.
Doing a lot of defect correction as shown in some of the photos below.
Will be more careful on next build!
Several low spots where the frames are inboard of others.
The transom and stem areas need a lot of work (part way thru the process).
Will post images after correction.

IMG-0407.jpgIMG-0406.jpgIMG-0405.jpgIMG-0409.jpgIMG-0410.jpg

I skipped doing steps 144-157 til after I after I got the planking completed.
After that I will cut her loose from the jig and go on to 144 and up. Should be in a day or two.
I also will be staining the bulwarks with black Speedball ink or Feibings dye a little later in the process.
I used the speedball in on my bomb ketch cross section whales. it turned out nicely.

IMG-0261.jpg

Dave

Attachments

• IMG-0413.jpg
    IMG-0413.jpg
    223.8 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG-0412.jpg
    IMG-0412.jpg
    347.9 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG-0411.jpg
    IMG-0411.jpg
    211.4 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG-0408.jpg
    IMG-0408.jpg
    219.4 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG-0413.jpg
    IMG-0413.jpg
    223.8 KB · Views: 19
Finished up the decking. As noted by others, the supplied decking in the front has a wave pattern.
As a reminder, since I have personal issues getting things completed, I've vowed to do this kit as supplied (no mods).
It seems like I either get distracted by too many mods or get get bored and move on to other things.

This is my first full planking effort (and it shows). Clamping is a major challenge the closer you get to the keel.

View attachment 221992View attachment 221993View attachment 221994View attachment 221990View attachment 221989

After that I will cut her loose from the jig and go on to 144 and up. Should be in a day or two.
I also will be staining the bulwarks with black Speedball ink or Feibings dye a little later in the process.
I used the speedball in on my bomb ketch cross section whales. it turned out nicely.

View attachment 222000

Dave
excellent job, looks beautiful

View attachment 221992View attachment 221993View attachment 221994View attachment 221990View attachment 221989

View attachment 222000

Dave
Thinking up new clamps and other devices is half of the fun of the game and the results are quickly found. It looks like you are progressing well. Rich - plopped on the pier. ;-)

I have trimmed the frames down to their proper height and installed the first layer of rails.
IMG-0421.jpg

Next step is to bend the stern vertical bend into the U shape.
First tried to wet the areas to be bent and slowly bend by hand.
This resulted in a snapped piece. Remade the piece by using scrap from previous sheets.
I saw somewhere on the forum (can't remember who though) who put near boiling water in a thermos, placing the part in there for about half an hour.
I also made a crude form to clamp it in, tracing thee shape by using the sheets that the parts came from.
So far it looks like a success!

IMG-0422.jpg

IMG-0426.jpg
IMG-0428.jpg

IMG-0429.jpg

I put it back in the mold to let it fully dry over night.
Will report back after assembly.
Dave

Back