Bluenose Build Log

I am very pleased to report that I have completed the build of my Bluenose. Definitely my best effort to date (as of 2014). Huge thanks to Bob Hunt and his practicum, and all the LSS forum members who provided encouragement, ideas, and answers. Just a final word on build duration. Although I'm reporting 241 hours total build time, please keep in mind that is only the amount of time actually spent on the bench working on the model. I estimate 2 - 3 times that long was spent reading the practicum, studying plans, reading other build logs, research, gathering materials, reading the practicum again, studying photos of the ship, pondering, gazing, drinking coffee, and reading the practicum again.

Build duration this step: 12 hours
Total build duration: 241 hours

(I hope you all enjoyed my re-posting of this build log from 2014. Ships of Scale seems like a good place to collaborate. I am happy to help in any way I can).

Mike Shanks

bluenose_2.jpgbluenose_3.jpgbluenose_deck.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks guys.

Hey Paul.... I am curious... how heavy is the box containing your Caldercraft HMS Victory in 1:72 scale? It must be a monster.

Absolutely stunning. True craftsmanship at work here. Nice techniques. I like the dead eye spacer. I made one, one time but yours seems to work better than what i did.

Donnie

Hello Mike

Great job you are doing on your Bluenose, absolutely stunning work, sure is nice to see that you are taken such care with her details, ENJOY

Regards Lawrence

What a beautiful job you did on this ship. I just ordered my kit. I hope to have it done by 2021 for the 100th year anniversary. This build log goes to the top of my list of references. And I did not know that the practicum existed. I'll be getting that too.

What a beautiful job you did on this ship. I just ordered my kit. I hope to have it done by 2021 for the 100th year anniversary. This build log goes to the top of my list of references. And I did not know that the practicum existed. I'll be getting that too.

Thanks for the compliment. I finished this kit nearly 5 years ago now and she still stands proud. The practicum is excellent too!

Beautiful job Mike. Great to see a Bluenose devoid of any "Greetings" and "Symbols".

Mike,
Awesome, what a great build you must be proud. Thank you for all your work in producing this detailed log. Yes next summer will be the 100th anniversary of the launch of the Bluenose. I am looking forward to the celebrations in Lunenburg NS I will try to get out for a sail on her.

Thanks Dave!!

I got all the ratlines done. I've done better and worse. Out of curiosity I did a little math. For this ship, I tied 364 ratline knots. I estimate that would be about 1/4 of the number needed for a fully rigged frigate class ship. Something along the order of 1440 knots. Its almost painful even thinking about it. Anyway, I'm happy to have this part completed. I also got the anchors fabricated. Time for booms, gaffs, and some running rigging...

Build duration this step: 9.25 hours
Total build duration: 229.00 hours

So, Mike, are you suggesting I have 1440 knots to go on my USS Constitution frigate class ship?

Back