Bluenose by Liebre

Wire on a piece of brass with the thickness of the bolts that I had received from Peter, bent and tightened

and twisted in 2 turns
View attachment 375856
Dead eyes of 5 and 4 mm used with Peter's bolts of 0.8 mm
Piece of wire slightly bent and the wire with the deadeye on it bent for the other side
Right above the Deadeye of QY
View attachment 375857View attachment 375858
Put a bolt through it and tighten the nuts, all this on a black cloth.
Everything made matte black on the irons that are turned on a needle in my vices and the production can be started.
This is very easy

I don't blacken dead eyes, I still have trouble painting beautiful wood.

Regards
Henk
View attachment 375861
Step by step and with a lot of practice you made them look very nice, Henk.
Regards, Peter

Put a bolt through it and tighten the nuts, all this on a black cloth.
Everything made matte black on the irons that are turned on a needle in my vices and the production can be started.
This is very easy

I don't blacken dead eyes, I still have trouble painting beautiful wood.

Regards
Henk
View attachment 375861
I like this method Henk.

I like this method Henk.
I watched a lot of Peter's construction, and learned a lot from it.
If you don't want to use the QY blocks, (I found them too big) then you have to come up with an alternative.
To bend the blocks, I first used very thin brass wire, but that turned out to be very difficult to bend.
This wire in my post was perfect for this and is already black or, however, I don't know if this can be found in the US

Dear Henk. Those dories, chainplates and deadeyes look very good as does the whole of your Bluenose. I am very happy that you are making such good progress on her - when it is worth doing, it is worth us giving it our best shot. That you are most certainly doing!

Sprockets adapted to the winch machinery, now touching the other sprocket
Chain placed on the windlass, a bit older
Belaying pins painted and added
And finally Dean's anchors placed
Foredeck is ready
View attachment 388930View attachment 388931
A crowded fore deck with nice detail, Henk. Like the anchors weathered a bit by the sea water. That shows your painting skills again.
Regard, Peter

Like the anchors weathered a bit by the sea water
Thanks Peter,
I really enjoyed doing these little details
It's been quite the journey Henk,
The journey is not over yet Johan, I expect a lot of headwind and strong currents at the masts and the rigging
great adaptation of the wench system
Thanks Shota
Looked at the examples from the other builder and at
and made some of them

Regards Henk

The journey is not over yet Johan, I expect a lot of headwind and strong currents at the masts and the rigging
I agree with you there Henk, your journey is not over yet.
But that is also what this hobby is about; the journey. The challenges, the surprises, discovering ones strong points and ones weaknesses.
The spars and the standing- and running rigging present their own challenges and being able to read and interpret a drawning is a necessary capability.
In terms of instructions, you're pretty much left to your own devices; there's preciously little in describing how it's done.
Most important though is, and I think you've already shown that quite clearly, not willing to give up and surrender, but the drive to see your BN completed in her full glory.

Thanks Dean,
you know it, the photos are deadly
It looks a lot better live, and I'm sticking to that
September 30th I go to the National Maritime Museum in Amsterdam with Peter and Johan
That's where national and international ship model builders meet that day
3x BN in a row in a special environment

September 30th I go to the National Maritime Museum in Amsterdam with Peter and Johan
That's where national and international ship model builders meet that day
3x BN in a row in a special environment
I am sure you will make lots of photos...and we will be one of those lucky ones to see them here, on SOS! ;) Personally, I love those types of photos, where members are meet and greet, especially in the Museum! YAY!

Back