Bluenose - Model Shipways - by David Lester

Impressive. I’ve been thinking about taking this project on, down the road. This log will be s great help! Thanks for posting it and keep up the great work!

Happy Saturday Everyone,
Today I've been working on the lettering. I usually cheat and make the lettering on the computer, but it still takes a long time sorting out the sizing, spacing etc. I drew the scroll work on the computer as well, copying as best I good from the pictures I have. The spacing looks uneven on the stern lettering, but that's how it appears according to my pictures. I'm pretty sure that the scroll work on the sides of the hull at the bow are maple leaves, so that's what I went with. I have an ancient version of Microsoft Publisher which gets the job done for me.

As you can see I've gone with the Masonic emblem rather than the Odd Fellows emblem. Not because I favour one over the other but the Masonic emblem was the one that was there when Bluenose was launched and it's the one that was there for most of its life.

So that was my morning's work, and now outside to cut the grass.
David

View attachment 151612

View attachment 151613
David I am impressed. Perhaps a little cheeky, but, would you be willing to share the publisher file you created with me? I am very keen to add this nomenclature and masonic badge, stern details to the model I am currently building. _From Ian Wilson, Inverkip Scotland.

Some more details:
Nameplates, scroll work and rudder all added. The hull is essentially finished, so now on to the deck details.

Thank you for your comments and likes!

View attachment 153817
View attachment 153818
View attachment 153819
Masonic greetings from a new SOS member and Past Master of McKenzie River Lodge 195, Eugene, Oregon, USA and Honorary Past Master and Secretary of Eugene Lodge 11, Eugene, Oregon. Bluenose will be my second build after completing a pilot boat from Constructo started back in 1969 and set aside for other matters after being about 2/3 done but masting and rigging incomplete back then. This POB will be my first one and I am expecting, with my penchant for slow careful detail that it will stretch out to three years or so, God granting me that time at this stage of 79 years come November. Beautiful work on your part. I'll have to start a log as so far I have been reading the instructions, studying the plans and thinking ahead of what is needed for the project. Fraternally yours with Brotherly Love, Reliefe, and Truth.

Masonic greetings from a new SOS member
Hello PT-2 and welcome to SoS. Our old friend David Lester is no longer a member here at SoS. However, you can follow along with my old Bluenose build log from a few years ago right here. It is not as nice as David's but should be entertaining in any case...

20200527_163039.jpg
Complete with the Masons symbol, I see, as discussed on this forum before. Nice touch! :cool:

Hello PT-2 and welcome to SoS. Our old friend David Lester is no longer a member here at SoS. However, you can follow along with my old Bluenose build log from a few years ago right here. It is not as nice as David's but should be entertaining in any case...

Being a newbie to SOS I am not sure of the link for conversation threads so this is a blind try. I see your reference to a Practicum on Bluenose by Bob Hanks. Where is that available? I want to put as much as feasible before my bow before casting off before the tide is right. Probably in a typical manner while searching around I have found some items to be improvised after making an order which in hindsight was not necessary. All part of a relative newcomer stepping his game up and hopefully not to a Remagan in a bridge too far with Bluenose. I don't mind remaking things if they don't turn out right but that can lead to later blemishes which could be avoided.

Thanks for your practicum lead. I'll do some searching in the mean time as I typically don't "live" on social media or the computer but will make it a more frequent action to tune into SOS.
Rich (PT-2)

After a short search I found an downloaded a free PDF Practicum File for a 1/4" scale plank on frame model. Larger than ModelExpo 3/32" scale but useful resource for many details.