Bluenose Old Photos, Books, and resources from the past

I found it on the Internet when I was doing the windlass assy. I checked and you actually provided this same pic at the beginning of this post! I believe it comes from the archives.
Here are a few more I found...
981008FC-CCEF-4807-BDE5-2E55605DA40F.jpegAA16C4E3-C06A-4B1E-AB48-5F2724CAD988.jpegDB85302E-1A6F-44B3-AD5B-A0B497F5A6C9.jpegF2093E22-C215-4408-AB2D-F3B88DB7A9DF.jpeg

Last edited:
I hear ya...lol ;)
For a broad "scrapbook" of old photos Google up W.R. MacAskill photographs found in the Nova Scotia Archives. A link is below.
A great number of old schooners and some deck and rigging close up photos of details to better understand building or scratch building a Bluenose. . . . not pretty but worn and needing repairs. Also a number of racing photos of schooners, yachts, and square riggers of different types. No way found to save any of these as jpg unless you can tell us how to "pirate" for educational purposes.
https://archives.novascotia.ca/macaskill/archives/?ID=316&Language= Rich (PT-2)

For a broad "scrapbook" of old photos Google up W.R. MacAskill photographs found in the Nova Scotia Archives. A link is below.
A great number of old schooners and some deck and rigging close up photos of details to better understand building or scratch building a Bluenose. . . . not pretty but worn and needing repairs. Also a number of racing photos of schooners, yachts, and square riggers of different types. No way found to save any of these as jpg unless you can tell us how to "pirate" for educational purposes.
That link only has thumb nail sized photos so the Google entry is what is needed to follow the same Bluenose photos series. Sorry about the false start. Rich

That link only has thumb nail sized photos so the Google entry is what is needed to follow the same Bluenose photos series. Sorry about the false start. Rich
For those interested in building to scale. . . standing and running rigging of BN here are a couple of tables with my added conversion from circumference to diameter of the various lines but then without conversion to the scale of the model in selection of final "thread" rigging simulation.
All from American Fishing Schooners:
Thebaud Running Rigging 2.jpgGrampus Standing Rigging.jpgThebaud Running Rigging 1.jpg
Final rigging decisions all to the mind and eye of each builder. Rich (PT -2)

For those interested in building to scale. . . standing and running rigging of BN here are a couple of tables with my added conversion from circumference to diameter of the various lines but then without conversion to the scale of the model in selection of final "thread" rigging simulation.
All from American Fishing Schooners:
View attachment 233948View attachment 233949View attachment 233947
Final rigging decisions all to the mind and eye of each builder. Rich (PT -2)
For some old newsreel and now YouTube images aboard the Thebaud here are two for you to see the sizes of the rigging that is being handled. FYI the main topmast man was Sterling Hayden in his years before becoming an actor.

Note the lack of winches in hoisting the gaffs/sails. . . all strong calloused hands supported by strong legs and sound backs. . . for the time being. Rich

As the topic of schooner anchors has come to the surface here are two types of fishing schooner anchors which are different than those seen for larger square riggers of history. From Chapelle's book American Fishing Schooners
First the Iron Stock Anchor which was typically on the foreward Stbd deck:Iron Stock Schooner Anchor.jpg
The stock was folded back along side of the main body shaft
Then the Banks Anchor more similar to what is more familiar but with a smaller shaftBanks Schooner Anchor.jpg

Something like this?
Image_1.jpg

Not pirated. Borrowed to show it can be done for non profit or private use. Admins should probably delete once you have had a look Rich.
DM me for method if you want for your own use.

I really like old pictures, and I think I've been a fan for a while. From the attached photos, I wanted the image where there is a boat with a lifeboat and some ropes. I think it would fit best on the wall of my house, but I prefer the sketch style. So instead of paying a lot of money on drawing, my friends recommended turning the image into a sketch with the help of a website, it's free, and I only have to pay for Xerox on the A2 sheet. That's how I got a painting as a gift from my husband, thank you for the idea. My husband likes the view of the sea and appreciated this gift.

Last edited:
I really like old pictures, and I think I've been a fan for a while.
It is not possible to use old b/w photos other than to eliminate the white outboard faces but neither way for any dark colors like the running lights red and green.
Thanks for sharing this though. Rich

Back